Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Scratch17

Scratch17 Member

The CT is Boogie's take on what a 50's Fender Tweed with a 1 X 12 could have been with today's technology added to a classic circuit and tube compliment.

Mesa used to make their effects loops at least 10% parallel. In other words, at least 10% of the combo's preamp sound was purposely mixed back into the return's path. That made it impossible to properly use a Synergy preamp with a Boogie, unless the loop was modified to become fully serial. It was Boogie's amp designers contention that some of the 'dry' preamp sound was necessary to maintain the tone of the amp through the loop.

Recently, however, Mesa has gone to a pure serial loop design. So the California Tweed should work fine with a Syn-1 or Syn-2 in the loop.

I have a very early '68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763 Black Face preamp). I have agonized over whether to get the amp modified by adding a Metropoulos serial loop so I could use it with a Syn-2. My agony has ended now that the Cali Tweed has been released.

I plan to sell the Bandmaster, and replace it with the Cali Tweed. With the 4 6V6 tubes in A/B Pentode mode, the amp should have almost as much headroom as my Bandmaster (6L6 tubes). The other power modes will cover all of my needs when adding in the Syn-2 to the mix.

My long term studio plan includes a Syn-2 with 4 modules; a T/DLX, a Morgan AC, a Plexi, and a BE-BB.

BTW, I will be using the Syn-2s with a Koch "The Greg" and a Mesa 5:25 Express Plus as well.

jzuker likes this.
  2. jzuker

jzuker Supporting Member

Sounds like you’ve done your research. Thanks for sharing your info! That’s very helpful.

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

No idea. The Dumble clone I had a few years back was a Skyline high plate version and the OS module sounds different, reminds me more of a HRM-version.

4. danel59

danel59 Member

Thanks, will check it out further. I have a Fuchs ODS 30 but because of back and leg disabilities I really can’t gig with it anymore so thought the Syn-1 with OS module running direct or with Torpedo CAB or CAB M might get me in the ballpark

5. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

IMHO it mostly can, but it all depends on the sound you’re going for. It does better at hyper clean and higher gain sounds, again IMHO. If you’re going for more of a low gain blues sound, you might want to also consider the BMAN module.

Kriig and danel59 like this.
  6. Axisman5150

Axisman5150 Member

Has anyone compared the Egnater BMan to the Synergy BMan? despite the obvious separate tone controls do they have similar cleans and gain?

7. MarcoR

MarcoR Silver Supporting Member

Yes, both have been my favorites for clean and edge of breakup tones. The Synergy version is the one I use now.

olivier064 and Kriig like this.
  8. Axisman5150

Axisman5150 Member

Great to know, Thanks Marco!

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Let me interrupt this program with a question. I assume that most of the posters in this thread are still Synergy afficionados, though perhaps a few of you have mixed allegiances or have abandoned the system. Is the Synergy system still your favorite preamp? Are there others that are as good or better? I'm intererested primarily in light-medium crunch sounds that clean up, and perhaps some medium-high gain sounds. Thoughts?

Right now I'm using the outputs of my Fryette GP/DI as my preamp into a setup with Eventide Eclipse, PCM 42, and VHT 2/50/2. Thanks!

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  10. RipperShred

RipperShred Member

Synergy is awesome. As for better, depends on your preferences; Savation Mods and Jaded Faith Mods make some awesome stuff for the platform (the egnater/randall stuff, but it's all compatible) that Synergy doesn't make. Head to head I find the synergy stuff is smoother in the top end which depending on your personal preferences may be better or worse. You wouldn't notice the smother top-end in some instances until you played another mod back-to-back, but it can be like a hi-cut filter is on the synergy stuff when you do a direct comparison.

The SLO into a 2/50/2 is friggin' awesome and will do a milder crunch up to high gain especially if you put something like a TS in front of it. Only clean mod I've gotten my hands on the TDLX and it does twin cleans and cranked deluxe pretty well as far as I can tell.

Kriig and olivier064 like this.
  11. Inerzia

Inerzia Member

Err, honestly, I've just had the synergy (Syn2+TDlx+SLO) for barely two months and have just gigged with it once (wonderful BTW) so, due to the limitations of my mod palette and the short amount of time I've had it, I don't really have that accurate of a perception.
    My tube rack preamps are a v1 TriAxis, JMP-1, MP-1 Classic, VGS 2120, H&K Access, Carvin Quad-X, Soldano SP-77 (purple), Mesa Studio Preamp and Quad Preamp... and the Synergy... so far, nothing beats the Mesa Quad for those kinds of tone you mention, but hey... I just have those two modules.
    The thing is... those two modules I have, also have those sounds, and they're very good, it's just that I prefer the Quad. Anyway... I don't think I'll gig with the Quad because of the size. I plan to get more syn modules. OS and BEBB are next.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Funny. The Quad actually prompted the question, though including the 3U Mesa would eat up the remainder of my rack. Thanks for the input.

13. cworley5150

cworley5150 Member

I just got my Syn 2 and the BB/BE module yesterday and have only had a few minutes to hook it up and check it out. More testing is needed for sure, but something seems wrong with my module. The BB channel sounds big, full and how I would imagine a real Buxom Betty amp should sound. However, the BE channel is very bright and very little low end. Plenty of gain available. I’m running this through the Metro amps loop on a modded 50 watt Marshall Plexi using the Syn 2 as instructed in the manual to add channels to the amp. My question is, can anyone confirm that the Bb/BE module sounds thin on the BE channel? I find that very unlikely based on the reviews I have read and watched. I haven’t tested it in the loop of another amp yet. Perhaps that will make a difference.

14. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like your module has an issue. Try swapping tubes first, but if that doesn’t fix it, contact Synergy for support.

Kriig likes this.
  15. cworley5150

cworley5150 Member

Update on the BB/BE module. Evidently the Syn2 and modules aren't going to work so well with my modded Marshall. I have a Carvin Legacy and a Bad Cat Lynx and it works much better with those amps setting it up through the effects loop. That stinks as I was hoping to use it to turn the one trick pony Marshall into a more versatile live amp. Anyhow, glad the Synergy stuff is working properly. And it sounds great!

olivier064 likes this.
  16. Kelly

Kelly Member

Phase getting flipped somewhere?

Kriig likes this.
  17. atarilovesyou

atarilovesyou Member

Here's a dumb thought, but has anybody ever considered making a power amp that has a selection of tubes to simulate even further the tones these preamps are tryng to do?

I realize it might be expensive up front, and I'm not sure how they'd approach (if they even could) different power supply builds, but I was thinking about it....seems like it could be incredible, if possible.

18. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

Some old huge Simulclass Boogie power amps and the Randall RT 2/50 go a bit down that alley.

atarilovesyou likes this.
  19. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

I have both a Mesa 20/20 (EL84's) and a Mesa Simul 2:90 (6L6's) in my rack for exactly this. The 20/20 feeds into 2 open back 2x12's, the Simul 2:90 feeds into a 4x12 wired in stereo.

Funky Claude and atarilovesyou like this.
  20. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

Groove Tubes Dual 75, for example.

atarilovesyou likes this.