Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I've played around with several different power sections (el34, 6l6, el84, 6v6, kt88) and found that speakers and the cabs they are in make 10x the difference in matching things up.

IMO we are better off with several cab choices than power amps.

ejecta, LarsTurms, spacebar and 6 others like this.
  2. atarilovesyou

atarilovesyou Member

I've been interested in these modules type amps since I first learned about them from Randall. I need to do more research but is MIDI easily implemented? I currently have my midi Marshall HJS and I'd like to get my board pretty much as is and use my midi Gigrig to do all the switching.

3. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

Very easy. Make sure you are on the same MIDI channel, send a program change, set SYN to the preamp channel you want for that PC, press and hold channel button until it flashes.

atarilovesyou and olivier064 like this.
  4. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

The problem with what you're suggesting is that you'd have to vary the reflected impedance for each - or purposely missmatch the impedance - for the specific tonal effect or to maximise output.

Then enters into it the matter of the B+, filtering, means of biasing, and so on. Small glass just wouldn't survive where big and very big glass thrive.

Hence I took upon myself to mod the power amps of mine to operate various types differently and supply a somewhat proper response for the amp emulated.

Coalface1971 likes this.
  5. Kriig

Kriig Member

But different poweramp designs sounds vastly different. The design does much more than the tubes.
    My SYN-2 (SLO/Plexi) going to a CAE OD50, Cornford MK50 or a Mesa 295 sound very different through the same cabinet. (Running through the return of the amps ofc)
    But the also sound different through my cabs. (WGS ET65, Greenback, V30)

The cabinets are at least 50% of the sound. Guitar->amp->cabinet... It's a chain. Add pedals too, to get even more change in eq/feel.

6. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I don't disagree. All the different power amps (rack or amp returns) I have tried all sound a little different. The feel is the bigger change to me, but that, like you said, is more a component of the design.

So much fun trying different combinations!

7. spacebar

spacebar Member

What was that amp with the really huge tube in it? Can’t for the life of me remember the name. I just remember thinking it was going to be a metal type amp.

8. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

DAR Amplification. He took a lot of pre orders, never delivered anything and ran away with everybody's money.

9. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Member

What??? That never happens!

10. lespauled

lespauled Member

For those with the Synergy, where do you set your SAG? I find that sometimes I have it around 4, or 0, depending on cabinet.

BTW I'm using the Plexi (4), Grail (4), and Mr Scary (0) modules.

11. Kriig

Kriig Member

Between Off and 10 o’clock.

Serious Poo likes this.
  12. guitarmike

guitarmike Member

It seems any higher than 9 or 10 o clock and the red light never goes off.

13. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

The kid that replaced DeMartini sounds killer BE module into the fx return of a JCM900

14. IR79

IR79 Member

I am considering a syn 1 as part of a bed room amp.

I have a matrix nl12 1x12 that I will use it with.

I have a spare power station and a Blackstar HT5 head.

Would I get better results with a syn 1 in the loop of the HT5 or going into the line in on the power station.

I have tried a syn 1 with the Bassman module into a power station and I was impressed with the results, but it did lack something compared to a real amp

15. Kriig

Kriig Member

Into the loop of my OD50 is glorious. I think you will miss something into a FRFR speaker.

16. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

which are the stock 12ax7 tubes that synergy modules use?

17. support

support Member

Depends on the module. Each company specifies their own requirement. Usually Shuguang, JJ or some combination of both.

18. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

but not branded modules, let say the twin or plexi?

19. support

support Member

Check with factory to confirm, but I believe JJ/Shuguang or both JJ. Least microphonic with both JJs. Maybe not the most ideal tonally, but better in terms of customer service issues.

olivier064 and Kriig like this.
  20. Koa-Dogg

Koa-Dogg Supporting Member

Is it typical to run your synergy modules with the treble near max for most modules? I have the SLO, Plexi, TDLX, Engl and BB/BE. The Engl sounds like a blanket is over the speakers and I can’t seem to get enough treble or presence from it. I am running a syn2 into one side of a VHT 2/50/2 into a 4x12 loaded with a mix of Scumback h75’s and M75’s. I ordered a complete set of tubes for the VHT in case the tubes in the 2/50/2 are older. Could it be a bad tube in the Syn2 (the one on the back)? I do have a second syn2 that I haven’t used yet and will give it a try to see.