Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

You know it’s weird but I have the Two Notes Wall of Sound Plugin and the power amp sim sounds horrible on it, IMHO. I assume it is the same one that is on the CAB. I am not sure what is up with that, it could be my setup but I have tried several others and they sound good. Anyway, if you are going direct, a VST power amp simulation and IR will work you don’t have to use hardware.

2. Warren Mendonsa

Warren Mendonsa Member

I’ve tried the SYN-2 into the UAD Suhr SE100 plugin with the preamp section bypassed, got some good tones that way. Usually I just plug into the FX return of the OD100, that is one juicy power amp.

Kriig and Marioverkill like this.
  3. Slammin Mofo

Slammin Mofo Member

I agree, the Two Notes power amp simulation sounds kind of weird. As far as I know, the presence and depth knob interact weirdly with the volume, not like a real tube poweramp at all. You're supposed to turn presence almost all the way up before you even touch the depth know or something along those lines. Which poweramp simulation are you using instead? I've recently purchased Mercuriall's Euphoria and it offers good seperate pre- and poweramp sections...

Elric likes this.
  4. Keg8605

Keg8605 Supporting Member

After spending some time with the XTC I agree. It's pretty sweet but the SLO has a very distinct tight sustaining lead tone that's hard to beat. Hmmm

biter likes this.
  5. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Ignite has a free rack power amp sim called TPA1 that is pretty darn useful. Bias Amp 2 is cool because you can pick any amp and disable the preamp and tonestack and you have a power amp + cab sim. Or you can pull out the speaker sim and just use the power amp and all that deep editing is still available.

I do wish there were more dedicated options. Revalver Mk3.5 used to have one, IIRC but Mk4 doesn't which is a drag. I will have to look at Mercuriall. I have a bunch of plugins, I will have to check Spark, etc. Helix Native can't do just a power amp sim, and it seems like TH-U can't either.

Keg8605 likes this.
  6. Keg8605

Keg8605 Supporting Member

I use the TPA 1 as well. Beyond that mercuriall is the one I use now. I purchased the latest Euphoria Plugin which is an Ecstasy and you can disable the preamp. Works good for el34 flavor. Not to mention the plug in just sounds great on its own.

7. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

I'll politely disagree - try the PP 6l6 and El34 amp sections- run the level around 10-1PM and turn the presence and resonance to 10.

8. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Thanks will definitely give it a try as noted, it could be something in my config...

BTW, Two Notes just announced that Wall of Sound is officially a free plugin. It was never really expensive you only had to buy one cab pack to get it licensed, but nonetheless, it is a very cool move on their part.

guitarstar2005 likes this.
  9. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

Yes sir! Two free Cabs included BritC ( Celestion Slash 4x12 w/Vintage 30's) and a Hiwatt 2X12 w/ Fane speakers

https://www.two-notes.com/wall-of-sound

Gasp100 likes this.
  10. djd100

djd100 Member

+1

I've used the Two Notes tube power amp sims for years with a variety of different HV tube preamps, works great if you understand that their Presence control kind of works backwards, so start with it max'd for all except maybe the PP6L6's (may 50% - 60% with them depending on your low end needs?), and the Depth around 50% and tweak from there. I don't use the SE models.

Just like real tube amps a little goes a long way, so I tend to run the gain between 8 - 12 for most things requiring moderate color, and up around 18 - 22 for those tones requiring pronounced color. Anything more than that gets a little funny to my ears, which is what happens with the real deal as well if hammered too much (boomy and over compressed etc).

All of this requires a good hot input level to the CAB, but not clipped etc (use the meters in the editor!), and you can fine tune with the onboard EQ after getting it sounding the way you like.

The Two Notes tube power amp sims are generic sounding vs my Axe FX II where I can really create tube power sections to match the various preamps to a large degree, but the Two Notes tube power amp sims sound and feel very good when used as above (I've used them for years with my custom MTS/Axe FX Ultra rig as the Ultra could not do the tube power section near as well as the Axe FX II running Ares 2.x).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  11. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Looks like the Engl Powerball module has dropped. Online catalogs are showing it and demos are coming online.

Serious Poo, dsmc80 and Bentayuk like this.
  12. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

It's suddenly raining Synergy modules

Serious Poo likes this.
  13. RipperShred

RipperShred Member

Maybe they're making up for all those times they teased modules years in advance of actually producing them :p

Kelly and Elric like this.
  14. Inerzia

Inerzia Member

I've tried it with four different power amps and also into the return of a Crate SS combo. It sounds killer every time. Two of the power amps are solid state (Harley Benton Thunder 99 and TubeWorks MV-982) and the other two are tube (Peavey Classic 50/50 and Mesa 2:Fifty). They all have their sonic signature, but their contribution to the overall tone is minimal. These days, I'm using it with the Peavey, which has some lower wattage EL84s, so I can squeeze more juice out of the power amp and add a little extra grit.
    A bit unrelated: the cab sim on the Syn-2 is not bad at all, for an analog sim. This summer, I had the Peavey break on me during a gig, and I ran two XLRs out of the back of the Syn-2 to the PA. Of course the feel was not the same, but the tone was so good, so convincing that I kept forgetting it was an analog sim. Next day, I tried it at home, and I didn't like it quite as much, so I guess it's a matter of size, I mean... Full PA system VS Alesis M1 Active near field monitors

15. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Seems like Guitar Center is not keeping up with the new modules... they don’t even have the Vai module yet. I have a gift card there but was hoping to pick up one of the newer modules with it. :(

16. Kelly

Kelly Member

Manufacturing in California is shut down.

Coalface1971 likes this.
  17. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

So the stuff is manufactured in Cali?

18. Kelly

Kelly Member

Yes, at boutique amp distribution, along with Friedman, soldano, morgan, and several effects companies.

Coalface1971 likes this.
  19. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

It didn’t shut down until after the Vai and Bogner modules dropped. They’re not even advertising new modules for pre-order, etc, that is unlike GC when they are carrying a brand...

I guess my concern is that they may be dropping Synergy or not committing to carrying the new stuff which would be a bummer because they are the most accessible guitar gear retailer in my area. Anyway, maybe they are just behind but AMS, Sweetwater, etc, are all over it which makes me wonder. Just speculating.

Anyway, thankfully the other guys are taking up the slack, hopefully it is just a supply line glitch, etc. But FWIW, it started before the pandemic.

20. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Even though I don’t have a Synergy setup anymore, I’m still glad to see them get what seems to be some real traction finally in the online review coverage. Not that they didn’t get any at all before, but the Vai and Bogner modules are getting more mainstream coverage. Vai’s been stumping his module on all the channels/platforms. The Opeth Rig Rundowns are giving the system more exposure as well. Hopefully it continues and gives the company more cash flow to do R&D on other products, and smooth out their production pipeline. Maybe this is the start of making those silly “wait and see when it’s available” days a thing of the past.

Kriig likes this.