• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Synergy modular thread

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
Why'd you get out of the Synergy game?
For one, I’m a bit of a Mesa Boogie fan. Getting a true Mark or Recto sound was only gonna happen by getting the actual amps, which I have. But the other reason is that I discovered the power amp matters in the end result of the sound, to my ears anyway. That’s not just Synergy, it’s true of the other tube preamps I had. After some experimenting, I decided I preferred to have traditional amps where each power amp section is tailored to its preamp section - instead of running all preamps through the same power amp. That’s not a position I’m swearing to for the rest of my life. The Synergy modular system is still appealing. I’m just not quite ready to invest in it again yet, as I now have amps that I like and which cover my favorite tones. But who knows what could happen in the future..

RipperShred

For one, I’m a bit of a Mesa Boogie fan. Getting a true Mark or Recto sound was only gonna happen by getting the actual amps, which I have. But the other reason is that I discovered the power amp matters in the end result of the sound, to my ears anyway. That’s not just Synergy, it’s true of the other tube preamps I had. After some experimenting, I decided I preferred to have traditional amps where each power amp section is tailored to its preamp section - instead of running all preamps through the same power amp. That’s not a position I’m swearing to for the rest of my life. The Synergy modular system is still appealing. I’m just not quite ready to invest in it again yet, as I now have amps that I like and which cover my favorite tones. But who knows what could happen in the future..
I certainly appreciate that position. If the Mark and Recto sounds are YOUR sounds, then why complicate life. I do love those sounds as well, and get as close as I'm happy with with a couple mods I have, along with a bunch of other sounds I love. You're absolutely right about the power amp thing, and I consider myself fortunate in that regard to have several covering most of the bases (KT77/EL34, 6L6, and KT88) so I mix and match as suits things, but I agree that some preamps just don't jive with some poweramps and if you can't get the two to jive you're better off with another solution.

Coalface1971

Question about the system, mainly the Syn-1. By the way it reads the effects loop is still active for both the Syn-1 and the host amp. Do the trails get cut off switching back and forth between the host amp and the Syn?

Cheers

Chris.

SkyhighRocks

Hoping someone here can help. I've tried the helix facebook group and synergy forum, sent support messages to line 6 and synergy days ago with no responses (understandable). I streamed a video yesterday about the problem I'm having using the Syn-2 and the Helix.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Hoping someone here can help. I've tried the helix facebook group and synergy forum, sent support messages to line 6 and synergy days ago with no responses (understandable). I streamed a video yesterday about the problem I'm having using the Syn-2 and the Helix.

Dude. 18 minutes of video, part of which is you reading your text messages? :rolleyes:

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
yeah the text was like 20 seconds. I went through everything in the video. Don't have to wartch it. It's not manadatory.
It seems like people are more likely to be able/want to help if you could get to the point faster. Just my 2 cents.

SkyhighRocks

I’m working with Peter at Synergy. He had me turn off the cc commands in the Syn-2 by pushing dip switch S3 to the left. This solves that problem of the helix looper sending cc60 and I can have the Syn in Omni midi mode. We are still trying to figure out why I’m getting no response in select midi channel mode.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
I’m working with Peter at Synergy. He had me turn off the cc commands in the Syn-2 by pushing dip switch S3 to the left. This solves that problem of the helix looper sending cc60 and I can have the Syn in Omni midi mode. We are still trying to figure out why I’m getting no response in select midi channel mode.
That is cool that you have a good line of support from the source... Keep us posted!

That is cool that there are DIP switches that control some behavior. I was not aware of that. I wish the documentation for the Syn2 was more complete. I know it is pretty simplistic from a MIDI standpoint but stuff like that would be cool to know about... The docs there could use some help.

For example, one thing I am not sure of from the docs wrt to programming: the syn2 has channels 1a,1b,2a,2b. They respond to PC0,1,2,3 by default. Say I have a floorboard FX that sends MIDI PC# (starting from 0) when it changes presets. If I wanted say channel 1b to come on for presets 1,6,8,10 can the presets be “overloaded”? I know “1” would work by default but if I program it to come one for PC6 does it no longer select 1b for “1” and will now use “6” or does it work for both? The manual sounds like it works for both but if they would have elaborated a bit it would be more clear.

Also, say I feel like I have messed it all up or want to buy the R5 footswitch and want to reset all the MIDI settings to default, how do you reset the programming? I can’t believe that is not documented.

I have only used PC0-5 to change things on mine so far but will probably get into the MIDI stuff in more depth when I have some time. Mine would not respond at all to CCs on my controller. I’m very experienced w/ MIDI so I am pretty sure I had it setup as per the docs. Again the manual being so brief here makes it a bit more difficult to troubleshoot.

bigboy

It didn’t shut down until after the Vai and Bogner modules dropped. They’re not even advertising new modules for pre-order, etc, that is unlike GC when they are carrying a brand...

I guess my concern is that they may be dropping Synergy or not committing to carrying the new stuff which would be a bummer because they are the most accessible guitar gear retailer in my area. Anyway, maybe they are just behind but AMS, Sweetwater, etc, are all over it which makes me wonder. Just speculating.

Anyway, thankfully the other guys are taking up the slack, hopefully it is just a supply line glitch, etc. But FWIW, it started before the pandemic.
Forget GC. Sweetwater.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
Forget GC. Sweetwater.
Agree that Sweetwater is great. I was wondering because I had a GC gift card.

I ended up getting an "800" module with the card. :D It is a nice addition. I like that the Blue channel actually can do a really nice cleanish tone with a coil tap or volume roll off and then the Red channel can kick in the higher gain when the gain control is up and it is getting into the "modded" 800 zone. Some really cool sounds on the Red with a Tube screamer out front. I am not a stickler for cleans so a rolled off Marshall clean is pretty enjoyable for me, but my SLO module straight up would not go there. ;) The bright switch was a nice touch, too.

I'm pretty set now with a basic selection (4 modules) but it is hard not to GAS for more because they are so darn good, loving the modular concept right now...

Last edited:

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
Some people say they get good deals at sweetwater, they are the only place that has never offered me a deal. I naively paid full list price for my first syn module and syn 2 from them.
That is one thing I like about GC they often send discounts. I used a 16% off code + my gift card on the 800.

My syn5050 is a Sweetwater demo unit that has full warranty and looks/sounds brand new. So, yeah the SW demos or open box units are a good deal and SW stand behind the stuff they sell.

Chris Milne

That is one thing I like about GC they often send discounts. I used a 16% off code + my gift card on the 800.

My syn5050 is a Sweetwater demo unit that has full warranty and looks/sounds brand new. So, yeah the SW demos or open box units are a good deal and SW stand behind the stuff they sell.
Strangely i received GC Discounts all the time and they mysteriously stopped after my last purchase with one. No one replies to my inquiries either about what happened. Moved on to Reverb. Unless it's a super hot item you can always get a discount from some retailer.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
Strangely i received GC Discounts all the time and they mysteriously stopped after my last purchase with one. No one replies to my inquiries either about what happened. Moved on to Reverb. Unless it's a super hot item you can always get a discount from some retailer.
That's a drag. I still get them, pretty much never buy anything there without a code. And returns are really easy as they have a brick and mortar store right nearby. Their used stuff is often a good deal too much better prices than Reverb usually, TBH, where sellers of used stuff are always trying to get close to what they paid for stuff and you can return used stuff to GC if it has an issue.

So, anyway, since it is the only game in town (or close by anyway) I am always gonna be a fan of good ole GC, warts and all.

bigboy

Some people say they get good deals at sweetwater, they are the only place that has never offered me a deal. I naively paid full list price for my first syn module and syn 2 from them.
You’ve got to call them and talk. They’ll price match anyone. I got a Danelectro Breakdown for $98. Also, 12-48 months interest free financing is hard to beat. Free shipping. Candy is a nice touch.

Trending Topics