Synergy modular thread

Kelly

(We were just talking about Synergy being an ill-fit on the Amps and Cabs forum because it didn't fit the two common topics "How do I get EVH tone" or "My 2 watt amp is too loud." Now we're getting one of them right at least. :) )

I'm not sure when the 800 really started to get used a lot. I used to think the 800 was the sound I was chasing (having never played one) but later found that a lot of the sounds I loved on recordings weren't the 800 at all. They were late 60s and 70s Marshalls.

This explained why I never bonded with any models of 800's and didn't care for amps I built with an 800 preamp in them. It was the wrong amp.

For me, the BE has the voicing right for 80's hard rock- I'd include the late 70's VH1 in that because I just think Ed was early to the show. I'm not sure what the notable differences are between the BE/Plexi/800. The BE doesn't have the blendable channels of the Plexi and has that in common with the 800. I think it rolls of the lows more than an 800 does, so maybe that simulate the bright channel of a Plexi blended with the normal channel.

Can somebody point me at some stuff known to be recorded with an 800?
Ozzys first two albums with zakk wylde
Megadeths rust in piece
Most anthrax and slayer stuff

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
Ozzys first two albums with zakk wylde
Megadeths rust in piece
Most anthrax and slayer stuff
Sure, but none of those are guitar->JCM800. All of them were using distortion/ODs in front and sometimes high output pickups. I agree that a JCM800 is a great starting point for 80s hard rock and metal tones, but it’s not getting those high gain tones without some serious boosting up front - which perhaps is why some players are surprised when they first plug into a JCM800 - or the Synergy module - and don’t sound like late 80s metal ...

thechamp

Sure, but none of those are guitar->JCM800. All of them were using distortion/ODs in front and sometimes high output pickups. I agree that a JCM800 is a great starting point for 80s hard rock and metal tones, but it’s not getting those high gain tones without some serious boosting up front - which perhaps is why some players are surprised when they first plug into a JCM800 - or the Synergy module - and don’t sound like late 80s metal ...
You can certainly get 80s metal with the 800 module, a Duncan JB or dimarzio SD into a Celestion speaker. Ive found the recent posts here confusing and showing a failure of communication.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
You can certainly get 80s metal with the 800 module, a Duncan JB or dimarzio SD into a Celestion speaker. Ive found the recent posts here confusing and showing a failure of communication.
Ha ha. There’s definitely been a failure of communication.

I think it was you that said that the 800 module wasn’t period correct. That wasn’t clear. When asked for clarity, you made a snarky comment that you were clear because you had said it wasn’t a late ‘70s tone. LOL. That made no sense, since the JCM line was introduced in 1981.

You then doubled down by stating that the BBBE gets that Brown sound that the 800 can’t. More evidence that the 800 isn’t period correct. Makes no sense again, since the Brown Sound was not an 800.

So yeah, there has definitely been some failure of communication!

Anyway, back to our regular Synergy programming.

thechamp

Ha ha. There’s definitely been a failure of communication.

I think it was you that said that the 800 module wasn’t period correct. That wasn’t clear. When asked for clarity, you made a snarky comment that you were clear because you had said it wasn’t a late ‘70s tone. LOL. That made no sense, since the JCM line was introduced in 1981.

You then doubled down by stating that the BBBE gets that Brown sound that the 800 can’t. More evidence that the 800 isn’t period correct. Makes no sense again, since the Brown Sound was not an 800.

So yeah, there has definitely been some failure of communication!

Anyway, back to our regular Synergy programming.
Read my comments closer. I did NOT say it wasn’t period correct for 80s hard rock. I CLEARLY said it wasn’t period correct for 70s tonalities like Thin Lizzy and Van Halen. Apologize afterwards.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Read my comments closer. I did NOT say it wasn’t period correct for 80s hard rock. I CLEARLY said it wasn’t period correct for 70s tonalities like Thin Lizzy and Van Halen. Apologize afterwards.
You are missing the point. Saying the 800 module isn’t period correct implies that somehow Synergy missed the mark in creating it. Like the module doesn’t sound like the old JCM 800 amp series. But the 800 module is based on an amp series that started in 1981. So saying it’s not period correct for ‘70s tonalities is silly. It’s not supposed to be!

Last edited:

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
someone mentioned the “brown sound” and the thread **** the bed. Happens every time
So true.
I think we were doing okay up until somebody started tying in the 800 module to the Brown Sound.

We should hopefully be okay discussing how the various Plexi-inspired modules cover the Brown Sound. I’d certainly like to know. And I promise to not expect the 800 module to be in that particular discussion!

So all that said, I’m guessing that the Friedman BE module and the red channel of the BBBE should be good for that. I’d really love to know how much they differ or have “more” than the red channel of the Plexi module.

thechamp

You are missing the point. Saying the 800 module isn’t period correct implies that somehow Synergy missed the mark in creating it. Like the module doesn’t sound like the old JCM 800 amp series. But the 800 module is based on an amp series that started in 1981. So saying it’s not period correct for ‘70s tonalities is silly. It’s not supposed to be!
No buddy. You are wrong. I never stated that the 800 is less than the awesome sound it is, I said I wanted a late 70s sound and a more modern sound so I’ll be keeping a SLO and a BBBE and ditch the 800. I was clear and others have muddled this discussion

Serious Poo