Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. stratamania

stratamania Member

"Tweed" or is it Twin Deluxe...

scolfax and voojo like this.
  2. mrwolf

mrwolf Member

Can I get some advice regarding these ?
    I'm actually a deaf person and when I lost my hearing after a medical mistake I chose to give up my day job and follow my dream of being a solo singer and guitarist.
    The only way I've been able to perform is to run everything through my mixing desk and into custom in-ears.
    I've owned and gigged my Marshall JMP-1 for 20 yrs and it sounds great and never let me down. The problem is that I've only got about 2 yrs of gigging left so I'd love to improve my guitar tone as much as possible, while I can.
    I tried the modelling stuff and hated them all but the Synergy System sounds ideal. The 2 module rack version interests me and I'm thinking that a Two Notes cab sim might add to the realism, plus I can use my pedals in front which the modellers can't handle.
    I'd love to get a system that reacts like a real amp to the guitar volume pot and again the Synergy seems ideal, especially since I can choose and swap modules at will.
    Are any of you owners who've tried the setup I have in mind ?

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  3. stratamania

stratamania Member

@mrwolf I was just thinking the other day in answer to the posts of @slowerhand that a Torpedo Cab might be an option after the Synergy preamps. Especially as you can control the Torpedo Cab and the Synergy via MIDI, you could change the power amp and cab sims at the same time as a preamp on the Synergy.

I don't own a Synergy yet, but am very keen on the idea and this seems like another viable option.

mrwolf likes this.
  4. MarcoR

MarcoR Member

This is a great option, I've tried it with my SYN2 and C.A.B and it is as good as you would hope. Using the C.A.B to emulate power amps and speaker combinations that compliment the selected module makes for a very flexible direct rig. The built in speaker emulation in the SYN1/2 is very good as well for a super simple solution...

mrwolf and stratamania like this.
  5. stratamania

stratamania Member

@MarcoR thanks for the feedback, good to know.

6. Fanfan

Fanfan Member

C.A.B. is an amazing piece of gear! I had it and sold it to get a Torpedo Live just to have the option of the reactive load for amp slaving/direct.
    I used it mostly with rack preamps (Marshall JMP1) and pedal preamps (Mesa Boogie Vtwin and Matchless Hot Box2) and it was amazing even with the stock cabs and not third party IR's.

mrwolf likes this.
  7. voojo

voojo Silver Supporting Member

Another great demo by Shawn Tubbs of the Metropolous Metro-Plex module:

scolfax, mrwolf and Serious Poo like this.
  8. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Cool, though I kind of wonder how that one differs from the "standard" Plexi module.

9. mrwolf

mrwolf Member

Has anyone put pedals in front of the Synergy ?
    Will it take compressors , boosts and drive pedals ?
    None of the demos have this.
    If it will take pedals I think my decision will be made.

Fanfan likes this.
  10. mrwolf

mrwolf Member

Its a shame that the "Live" isn't stereo. It would be ideal for use with my JMP-1 or the Synergy. The Studio version is stereo but its also 2u which puts me off it.

Fanfan likes this.
  11. djd100

djd100 Member

Don't forget using modeling for the tube power amp section works well if you don't want the weight and SPL limitations of a real tube power amp.

The Two Notes CAB's tube power amp sims work extremely well with MTS, and by extension Synergy no doubt, into guitar cabs or DI'd/FRFR monitor via convolution cab sims. Atomic, Mooer, and AMT also offer modeled tube power amp sims.

FYI, a lot of totally clean and high gain tones are primarily preamp based, so a tube preamp will do pretty well sans tube power amp (or tube power amp sim), with some filtering/LPF and a cab or cab sim etc, but the rest of the range of tones IMO need the tube power amp's (or sim's) contribution.

slowerhand likes this.
  12. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

Didn't see the Tone Report on the SYN-2 on here yet:

Shows off the big advantage of the SYN-2 for reviewing these, quick A/Bs between modules. He does a VH4 to HBE, I'd love to see the Plexi and Metroplex, a DS and BE, etc. I use MTS in the studio for exactly this reason, quick A/Bs between different tones on a track.

scolfax likes this.
  13. stratamania

stratamania Member

14. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

This is turning into a dangerously expensive thread...

scolfax, ctreitzell and tjontheroad like this.
  15. Daves Not Here Man

Daves Not Here Man Member

I was flirting with the idea of going down the modeler rabbit hole, but after finding out about these, its game over.

I'm curious about how they'd sound into a decent solid state amp section like the katana or Seymour Duncan 170. Anybody in the thread tried this yet?

And is there any reason to get a fryette power amp over a hot rod deluxe for this purpose since they're both tube, 6L6, and similar wattage?

16. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

This is where a HRDlx (or DeVille) head would be very cool. Not in love with top-mounted controls.

17. voojo

Currently the only amps I have with effects loops are solid state, including a Boss Katana Head, a Quilter 101 Mini Reverb head, and a Yamaha THR100HD (Dual.)

Up until today I was exclusively using the Quilter, but I thought I'd try the Katana to see how it worked - fantastic results with both! I used my SYN-1 with the Metro-Plex module. It had a great feel and man can it get loud. I usually run the Quilter at quite a bit less than ten watts, and it's bordering on too loud for home use.

I bought the SYN-1 and a single module (Metro-Plex) to "test the waters" so to speak, figuring if it wasn't what I was looking for it'd probably be easy to unload. Now that I've had some time with it I wish I would have got the SYN-2 from the start. I'll probably pick up a SYN-2 as well as the SYN-30 Amp head, and most likely they SYN-5050 Power Amp and make a small rack setup.

stratamania likes this.
  18. Daves Not Here Man

Indeed. Know if anyone offering Hrdx head mods? Might be a worthy way to go

That great to hear! I've been thinking about the syn1 in the same respect, but am beginning to have the hunch a syn2 would be a smart call. ;)

Are you going in the Katana via fx loop, or via the acoustic channel?

19. voojo

I'm going into the FX loop, return only. The nice thing about the Katana is you can apply the delay and reverb to the return signal. The Quilter doesn't do that, so I can't take advantage of the reverb on the Quilter. I'm hanging on to the SYN-1 for now, and maybe I'll keep it. It's a great little piece of hardware and comes with the two button footswitch to change between channels of the module or the bypass if you use it. I tried it in front of my 1968 Fender Showman, and it still sounded good but it's running through two pre-amps, so that definitely colors the sound.

20. Daves Not Here Man

Yeah, I love that about the katana. Post loop fx are a major bonus.

Any chance we could persuade you to do a video or recording to demo the synergy + Katana? Would be awesome to hear, since I already have one. I'm particularly curious about how it compresses with the tube pre. I've noticed that the katana does compress, but in a way that is different from a tube amp, and seems less..."punchy". Like less bass attack than one would get from a good tube amp.