Synergy modular thread

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
If you were going to buy a high gain module which would you choose given you own and like both channels of the VH4 module?
Ubershall
Powerball
Soldano

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
That Deliverance module demo, even though it was recorded under the worst conditions/room noise etc, was the reason I decided to order the Synergy Syn2 and am watching every web site I can to order the Deliverance module the moment it drops.
I watched that video a few months back, before buying any Synergy stuff. I had forgotten how cool that Deliverance module was. Easy to do, since it's not released yet, and not on the site.

Henning described it as a souped up 800. I wonder how the other two Fryette modules (Pitbull and Ultra Lead) compare.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
I watched that video a few months back, before buying any Synergy stuff. I had forgotten how cool that Deliverance module was. Easy to do, since it's not released yet, and not on the site.

Henning described it as a souped up 800. I wonder how the other two Fryette modules (Pitbull and Ultra Lead) compare.
I had a GP/DI. I really liked the Deliverance voicing switch setting. I liked all the voicings but the deliverance was it.

Kelly

Pittbull module is the Ultralead. The Deliverance amp is based on the orange channel on the Pittbull amps, but the dual gain controls make it extremely versatile. You can go from Vox chime to balanced plexi to fat Bogner type tones with one knob. The red channel on the Pittbulls has more gain, and a midrange shift. The red is more Super Lead Marshall, the orange is more Super Bass imho.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Savage vs Powerball, anyone ?
IMHO both are great for modern metal. I think the Powerball might be a better choice for single note & drop tuning/djent/industrial riffing while the Savage might be a little better for warmer sounding chords and leads. Both have silly amounts of gain available, the Powerball has more of a clean channel than the Savage if that’s of interest to anyone. Again, I like both modules - they’re keepers.

Bentayuk

The Deliverance amp is a single channel, dryer hot rodded 800. So you're almost there. The voicing is pretty unique. The gain is dryer than a usual Marshall, so there's less saturation, but it has more gain than a standard 800.

The Pittbull is much dryer than the Deliverance, thus comes across much tighter as well. But they're both tight amps. I've found the Pittbull to be way more divisive, you either love them or hate them. The Deliverance on the other hand is almost universally loved.

I've owned 3 Fryette's, 2 Fryette inspired MTS modular preamps, and countless digital models / profiles. The one thing this Synergy module has that the real Deliverance doesn't, is 2 channels, which is pretty spectacular. It will always be in my Top 5 amps.

dsmc80

The Deliverance amp is a single channel, dryer hot rodded 800. So you're almost there. The voicing is pretty unique. The gain is dryer than a usual Marshall, so there's less saturation, but it has more gain than a standard 800.

The Pittbull is much dryer than the Deliverance, thus comes across much tighter as well. But they're both tight amps. I've found the Pittbull to be way more divisive, you either love them or hate them. The Deliverance on the other hand is almost universally loved.

I've owned 3 Fryette's, 2 Fryette inspired MTS modular preamps, and countless digital models / profiles. The one thing this Synergy module has that the real Deliverance doesn't, is 2 channels, which is pretty spectacular. It will always be in my Top 5 amps.
Agreed. The Deliverance is the truth.

Elric

IMHO both are great for modern metal. I think the Powerball might be a better choice for single note & drop tuning/djent/industrial riffing while the Savage might be a little better for warmer sounding chords and leads. Both have silly amounts of gain available, the Powerball has more of a clean channel than the Savage if that’s of interest to anyone. Again, I like both modules - they’re keepers.
Thanks for posting this, I am looking to pick up one of the Engl modules and am on the fence so all opinions are of interest to me...

The Savage gets more universal praise in terms of the Real Life amps, it seems; but the Powerball module seems more versatile with the dual EQs and the mid voicing switches for both channels and I am not really sure how true to the amp the module is going to be anyway. There are not many demos of the PB online yet, because of covid; I have checked out a bunch on the Savage.

Can you get a decent not so over the top crunch on the Savage module with gain set low? I know the PB will get cleaner on the Blue but curious about sort of a 'British Metal' crunch (like old Priest). Do the red/blue sound different, I think the contour switch only applies to the Blue right?

People say the PB as an amp is more 'mid-scooped' and that it is "smoother" than the Savage and the Savage cuts better and is just more Br00tal. But, with that mid control on the PB module, it seems like yous hould be able to manage that...

Basically thinking an Engl would be a fun second "ridiculous gain levels" supplement to the Uber which is f'n *thick*. Looked at the Diezel but the demos I've heard are not inspiring me just yet.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the detailed description.

My one question: dryer?

I generally understand guitar tones described as fat, thin, tight, chimey, glassy, dark, bright, etc. Even wet, but that tends to relate to delay or reverb slathered on. What do you mean by "dry"?

jco5055

Not to cause a detour from this worthwhile discussion of module differences etc, but I found out Chondro guitars in Wisconsin (about 2 hr drive from me, I wanted to stop there this summer when the gf and I go to her family's summer cottage in upstate Wisconsin) is now officially a dealer for Synergy and is supposed to get all of the modules! I'm hoping I can try all them out to 1) figure out if I want to go Synergy and 2) if I do I don't need to do the massive buying/selling/trading of modules to find my faves. :dude

Bentayuk

I generally understand guitar tones described as fat, thin, tight, chimey, glassy, dark, bright, etc. Even wet, but that tends to relate to delay or reverb slathered on. What do you mean by "dry"?
Generally it means less saturated, which can in turn make it appear to have less gain. If you want more saturation, a Maxon OD808 will have you covered.

Kelly

Less compression and odd order harmonics than you'd typically find in a high gain amp. Also, the eminence speakers fryette uses are very stiff in sound and feel, making the amps seem hard to play if you're used to the creaminess of more compressed amps. Using other speakers helps immensely, and the fanes they are now using are excellent.

Trending Topics