Sytek Preamps!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by devin, Aug 12, 2004.

1. devin

devin Guest

After years of using budget pre's and being disappointed with the constipated guitar tones, I finally bought a decent mic pre. My guitar sounds like it does in the room. It cuts through with all the harmonic content. Kick drums sound big, bold, and articulate. Overheads are crisp without being strident. I can actually hear the presence peak in an SM57 when that mic is on my guitar cab. And best of all--little or no EQ is needed during a mix. I'm really digging this thing. It's definitely not a "character" preamp, but it delivers clean, accurate sounds to tape. At $800 or so for 4 channels, this thing is a steal.

Devin

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

True true true!

There are but two serious "lower end" preamps (or perhaps "less than $1000 a channel") that I have ever really dug. One is the FMR RNP and the other was Sytek.

A small demo studio we used cutting our second disc with the Marilyn Mack Group had Sytek's - right next to the Telefunken, Neve, et. al. and they were great sounding.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

can you post a demo?

4. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

This song of mine was done using primarily a Sytek. It was used on the vocals, acoustic guitar, mic'd electric, and drums. It was being used on a Sytek review for a while as a demo for the unit.

It's called "Fly Away", you can get it here:
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1071&alid=88

-Mike

5. jzucker

Hey Mike,

That sure sounds fabulous. I want a CD! :D You guys have a website?

6. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Thanks alot, man :).

A final CD of my own stuff never came to fruition. Lots of things like jerky A&R guys at record labels got in the way. Plus the girl singing on that particular one sort of whacked out on me and quit music.

The guys I mainly work with have had 4 CD's come out and working on a 5th right now. I don't do much, but they let me hang out and contribute a bit when I can. Those are here: http://www.blessidunion.net/music.html .

I am working on solo stuff in the pop-alt-country realm now (with their help). Hopefully this project will actually get done cause it's independant and I'm doing most of the work myself. I'll be sure to let everyone know as time comes near. In the meantime I'm glad to share what I've learned working on different recording projects.

Thanks,
    Mike

7. jzucker

Too bad. She sounded great. Please share more!