T.C Vintage Delay = T-REX Replica

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fixxxer, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Hey guys, this is my first thread on this forum. My question is about the new T.C. Vintage series delay. Is this exactly the same as the T-REX?

If it is that is pretty wild? Does anyone have 100% confirmation? Why would they do that? Is that the end of T-Rex?

I am looking for a good digital delay. I have the DLS echo tap, the Jacques, and plan on having mike modify a DD-2, but I want a killer digital.. Either of those look promising, so I would appreciate any an all input of the differences and likenesses.

2. threm

threm Member

Everyone claims that the new TC Vintsge Delay (and the whole TC line) is just a reboxed T.Rex pedal.

But then there was this post by a guy who had both the T.Rex and the new TC delay and reported that they were quite different sounding and with a few differences in features as well.

I`ve searched this and another forum but I can`t find the thread.

Anyone remember?

3. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

not exactly the same feature set . .but close. Both made by T-Rex (confirmed to me by T-Rex).

4. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

So then for the million dollar questions:

Does anyone here have a TC Vintage Delay?, if they do can they share a review?

Does anyone have both the T-Rex and TC, and can they share a review?:AOK

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

5. gpro34

gpro34 Member

That was me I retracted the post because it seemed no one was interested in what I had to say and everyone just wanted to say "same box". I own both of these and they do sound different. I do not know if they were meant to be the same but they both sound different and react differently.

6. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

At the end of the day, what are the key differences in your mind, and what sounds best? I play HEAVY rock through a mesa and rarely go forn hte clean chimy thing. I like everything form the Metallica FIXXER delay intro to the EDGE.

I NEED (that sounds pathetic) a quality digital delay that I can tweek to get it. The BOSS DD-6 is not cutting it

7. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Which did you prefer, and why?

FYI, I noticed that the prices varied a bit. TC selling for $399 and the T-Rex at $485. Ultimately, I found the T-Rex Replica at PedalGeek for $399 with free shipping, so I jumped on it.

-jm

8. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Check out BlackBox Quicksilver... a delightful delay pedal with modulation, 2 speed stomp swicthing, and stereo effects loop... very, very cool!

The best for the money.

GG

9. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Gotta say I'm still curious about this. As it does appear both are made by T-Rex I'm curious if the spec/sound is different in any way.

10. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Update

Subsequent to my last post I was talking to a mate who recently tried the TC declaring it to be better. I decided to email T-Rex out of curiosity about the relationship between the two pedals. This was the response a few minutes ago...

Hi Grant,
    The TC Vintage delay cannot sound better than the Replica, as they are in fact the same - except from the exterior. We're currently cooperating with TC Electronics helping them with their vintage line,which is why some of their pedals are similar to T-Rex pedals.

Best regards,
    Ditte Petersen, T-Rex
    Tel: +45 75 72 71 81

Maybe any differences people are hearing are just down to individual parts tolerances rather than being brand related?

11. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I need to throw this out there, and state that Analogmike on his message board pointed to some better build qualities in the T-Rex model of the TC model as well as a few other things.

In an effort not to screw any information up, hopefully Analogman can respond to this thread and put us on the right path.

12. seanc

seanc Member

could you post a link to that fixxer?

13. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I cannot post the link, as it has already been removed. The forum provider apparantly only allows for so much space, I will assume, and when he had this conversation several months back it had rolled off of that discussion page =(.

Hopefully Mike or somebody that is intimate with this can point out the differences. I believe the circuit may be the same, but I know the TC is not true bypass and uses different switched. Other than that, I cannot speak the nuances like an expert could.

14. Uli Z

Uli Z Member

I own both too. Yes they sound a bit different. And as mentioned above they both are made by t-rex. the main difference is that the t-rex has a hard-wired true bypass. the tc delay doesn`t have this feature. check the t-rex and the tc site for this info. this is in my opinion one reason for the fact that they sound a little different.

15. garcooper

garcooper Member

I dont know if anyone is even interested in this topic at this time but I coincidentally recently purchased the T.C and now have both. I play clean and distorted; both these pedals are lush and inspiring to hear. I run one at a slapback and feed it into the other with a longer setting with the obvious result of two delay times, I also use them independently. We all have our own taste respectfully and I find everyone elses feedback helpfull. I am actually happy to have both, I was considering buying another T Rex prior to finding the T.C.

16. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Wow a 5 year old thread!!!! BOOM!