T.H.E. mikes - opinions?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zenpicker, Dec 11, 2005.

1. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Looking for a matched stereo pair of SDCs for acoustic guitar, under $750 or so, and I came upon the T.H.E. mikes - http://sound-room.com/customer/home.php?cat=1

Anyone had experience with them? How would you compare to Oktavas, for example?

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Interesting. Never heard them. Can't say what I think till I hear them... or get a feel for what the prevailing internet opinion is.

(kidding, on that last bit).

3. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

4. muddy

muddy Member

i've actually talked to taylor before. his mic's are ****in' awesome!!! i have been lusting after the KR-33A Cardioid 33mm Modular Capsule with the KA-04 Modular Mic Pre Amp Body ($570/$360 respectively at mercenary) combo for ages now. he designed the kr-33a based on his measurements of the telefunken elam 251, minus the tube which he says is made up with the choice of mic pre; whether he's achieved this, or even if it'll work for you as a vocal mic, for instance, is debatable. but taken on it's own merits, this is one very good cardioid at a WAY reasonable price, especially considering the r&d and workmanship that's gone into making them. it'd definitely make a very useful addition to a mic collection.

ml

5. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Muddy - good for acoustic steel string guitar, ya think?

6. muddy

muddy Member

YES!!! that's so funny you picked THAT! more than a few engineers have remarked on just that application...

ml

7. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

8. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Hello, I have not personally used these mics, but have read many good things about them. They go for that price EACH, not as a stereo matched pair. What's nice is you can buy multiple capsules for them.

You may also want to check out the josephson c42's Matched pair for about $900. Also highly regarded SDCs.

9. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Yes, Josephsons keep coming up. A little more than I had in mind spending, but I may sell of four Nakamichis I have to raise funds.

10. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

If you're going for a STEREO pair, they are WAY Cheaper than the T.H.E.'s. In fact, even the single josephons are cheaper. This is why I landed at them and they are on my "to get" list. There are many opinions on anything, but from what I've read, they will be perfect for OH's and Ac Guitar for what I do. Both of these mics (Supposedly) exhibit a similar freq response to the beloved Neumann KM84.

Remeber the Body does NOT include the capsule with the T.H.E.'s. It will not make any sound without a capsule because there is no 'mic' element on it. When you add it up they are $600+ EACH for a functional microphone. This isn't any kind of put down, they've just gone a modular route that gives you more options down the road.

11. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Doh! I just realized that soon before your post hit. That does change the economics, doesn't it?

12. muddy

muddy Member

i wouldn't argue with the josephson's. he's been making mic's almost longer than god, & not many do it better.

ml

13. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

So, where's the best place to buy Josephsons? Any dealers who let you try them and return them if they don't work for your situation?

14. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

15. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Thanks for the dealer links -
    Interesting that these mikes seem to have a remarkably consistent price of $399 +/- $1. Most stuff has more flex than that.