T-Nut Installation

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jpervin, Dec 29, 2005.

1. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I just bought a speaker cabinet from an amp builder who is going out of business. There is a plywood baffle with an opening for a 10" speaker. However, there are no t-nuts or mounting bolts attached to the baffle for the speaker to mount to.
    Where can I find t-nuts/mounting bolts?
    Also, do you need special tools to mount these?

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

You just have to position the speaker over the cut out from the inside then drill holes through the baffle board where the speaker mount holes are located. At least 4 of them.

The T-nuts are available in the fatsener sction og Home Depot or any other hardware store.

The T-nuts are then inserted into the drilled speaker mounting holes from the front of the baffle. They are obvious when you see them. They have serrated prongs where the T-nut meets the baffle from the front so when the screws are tightened from the inside when mounting the speakers, the prongs prevent the nut from twisting with the screw.

The front of your baffle may be painted black and if you don't paint the front portion of the T-nut black, you'll see them through the speaker grill cloth when the lighting is right.

Here is what they look like:

http://www.stafast.com/products/tnuts.html

They are usually sold in the section where the prepackaed screws and nuts are.

Good luck

3. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Thanks, Reeek! :AOK

4. apd

apd Member

I had exactly the same problem with a 2x10". Nobody at Home Depot knew what a T-nut was, so after 4 employees ssat there and scratched their heads, one of them went and got an older guy near retirement age. I told him what I wanted and he knew right where they were.

The 10x32 T-nuts were recommended by a cabinet builder.

5. hustist1

hustist1 Member

I worked in a hardware store during college. The basic rule of hardware stores is: if you need advice, find the oldest guy in the store. Don't waste your time with the weenies (like me)

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Or, if it's front loaded, you can use drywall screws directly into the wood of the baffle-not as neat but it works well...

7. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

A lot better option than drywall screws is "plated" deck screws (usually about 3 feet away from the drywalls in HD or Lowes . Much coarser threads for grabbing wood instead of sheetmetal studs behind drywall . Also on rear-wounted jobs , with 10/32's and the like , use a permanent marker to black the tips before the install and you won't have 4 silver "dots" in front . ;)