T O N E....yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh (Fender content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheFlash, Sep 1, 2008.

1. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Don't you love it when you stumble on a magical gear combination?

I stumbled upon one in a store a few months back when I went in to check out the new Fender Princeton Reverb RI. I grabbed a '60s players strat off the wall, plugged it into the princeton and....

......whoa......

what is this magic tone entering my ears?

....breathe....

So after 4-5 minutes of blissful noodling, the gear side of my brain starts churning...is it the guitar or the amp? So I quick plug into the other fender amp sitting nearby (DRRI) and the guitar feels and sounds GREAT, but the same magic isn't there. Plug back into the princeton...there it is again.

Now, I've owned some amps that sounded pretty good, but nothing that I would ever have called "inspiring". But this is it! The cleans that I hear in my head.

Fast forward a month later...I now have both the classic players strat (which I tested against 5 other US made strats and it came out on top) and the PRRI here at home and I'm coming up with even more shades and textures of tone that I'm loving (especially with the Menatone TBIAC adding a semi-cranked ac30 vibe to the mix).

All this to say two things:
    1. The PRRI is simply a stunningly great sounding amp for under $1000.
    2. The Fender into a Fender combination might really have some magic still even now in 2008.

2. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

I use to own a 1967 Fender Super Reverb 30Watt 4X10

Oh my god this was awesome. Best Clean sound.

Then a friend and I went to a local guitar center and pluged into a new fender hot rod deville and I wanted to cut my ears off.

3. sidneymg

sidneymg Member

I had been looking for a channel switcher to get a decent clean and a decent overdrive tone from for ease of use. I didn't want to spend a ton of money and I don't want to deal with pedals and pedalboards. I ended up with a Fender rivera era Concert w/ 2 tens and I'm floored by this thing. Takes some time to dial in but once you do it is a very versatile amp. On the last job I played, we started off with Allan Jackson's version of summertime blues into a couple of Randy Rogers stuff all the way into some Steely Dan and ZZ top tunes so I needed an amp to cover alot of ground. I was hoping for decent tones and got excellent for not a lot of money. I think this is one of Fenders most underrated amps ever. One of the last Fender non PCB amps for way under a grand w/great tone. No boutique for me as long as these are still floating around. I think I'll buy one more. One happy camper

4. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Hmm, didn't realize there was a 2x10" version of those? I thought they were all 1x12s. I'd like to hear one.
    How loud are the PRRI's? Too loud for a small club?

Tom

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Great tone never loses its magic.

6. lanny

lanny Member

Late 80's/early 90's Red knob(Rivera designed) Super 60. Numerous times in the mid to late 90's I heard killer tones in some local bands at different venues. So good I had to head for the stage to look. A Tele through a 1X12 Super 60. I finally found one on Craigslist for $450 and did a session the next day with it. Although very uncool(red knob..) and cursed with feeble input jacks/pots..the sound says it all.Sorry if this amp had already been threaded..

7. esxmac

esxmac Member

I played mine on Sunday with bass, acoustic, and drums. I had it on 2.5 the whole time and everyone could hear it fine, however, it was also miced. At the end, the drums were louder and I cranked it to 3--it was almost too much on that little stage.

At home, I set it between .5 and 2 most of the time, but I have played it all the way up to 10. I like it on the cleaner side--preferably under 5. It sounds great at any volume, quite or loud. Haven't used my TRRI much since I got the PRRI.