T-Rex Binson Echorec… WHAT?!

kowalski440

I'm beginning to think that NAMM mock-up was nothing but a "wishful thinking" showpiece. I don't anticipate we'll see anything anytime soon, if ever.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I'm beginning to think that NAMM mock-up was nothing but a "wishful thinking" showpiece. I don't anticipate we'll see anything anytime soon, if ever.
You guys think it will show up at winter namm?
In the last episode of That Pedal Show they have someone from T-Rex as the guest and they talk about this. Evidently, it’s definitley going to be released, but probably not until next year.

It seems like a huge undertaking to put into production. I can’t imagine there are a lot of off-the-shelf parts for the drum assembly, so the tooling and R&D cost must be significant.

kowalski440

It seems like a huge undertaking to put into production. I can’t imagine there are a lot of off-the-shelf parts for the drum assembly, so the tooling and R&D cost must be significant.
It is most certainly a huge undertaking. Especially if they're going to do this right.
Have you ever read about the process they used for the drum alone? Talk about a lot of effort...

Approximately one hundred turns of very fine 0.1mm (0.004″) diameter recording-grade stainless steel wirewere wound around the circumference of an aluminium thread ring – a very tricky operation. The wire was wound on to the drum using a modified coil winding machine which Binson built specially to do the job. The wire had to be kept tight against the drum face with no overlaps and no kinks and the beginning and the end the wire was secured by a small pin (the external pin is visible on the edge of drum). Even more challenging was the following operation of using a lathe and very fine grinding wheel to accurately mill the rounded edge off the wire so that it was almost, but not quite, semi-circular, creating a very smooth, flat wire surface that could be properly magnetised by the heads. This was a delicate and crucial operation and the milling had to be performed very slowly as the wire would all too easily break. A new worker on the job would break a lot of wire before finally getting the knack – this was among one the most difficult operations at Binson factory.
http://www.effectrode.com/binson-echorec-pages/binson-echorec-memory-system/

Soooo much went into each unit. I really wish T-Rex the best with this effort. I've been keeping an eye on Effectrode and they've been talking this up for many years. Seems to be the challenge of challenges at the moment.

Bluesful

Supporting Member
It is most certainly a huge undertaking. Especially if they're going to do this right.
Have you ever read about the process they used for the drum alone? Talk about a lot of effort...

Soooo much went into each unit. I really wish T-Rex the best with this effort. I've been keeping an eye on Effectrode and they've been talking this up for many years. Seems to be the challenge of challenges at the moment.
After reading that, it's easy to see it's a massive challenge.

Super Locrian

Manufacturing methods have improved dramatically since the 60's. With modern CNC machines and assembly robots, it is possible to achieve higher precision and consistency, with fewer man-hours and lower production costs. I think it's safe to assume that the T-Rex engineers have re-designed a lot of the details of the Binson to facilitate manufacturing and assembly. This is not to say that it is not a complicated unit to manufacture, but likely much less complicated than the original Binson units given the advances in technology.

Mcentee2

Maybe T-Rex should step into the Lifetime Service model for things like this and their tape delays.

Yes you pay for it but you know it is a one off or annual charge for always having a maintained device.

Can't recall but do Fulltone do this already ?

Otherwise if course the "beauty" is actually in the various shades of aging anyway - YMMV

Trending Topics