T-Rex Binson Echorec… WHAT?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by moore_for_less, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I'm surprised some folks prefer digital tone over analog.

conanb, Tabor, Fuzzr and 1 other person like this.
  2. juri

juri Member

The problem is that even a recreated unit will not sound like the original (if that’s what you’re going for). It’s a lot easier to get a digital unit to sound close to the original.

NicDo likes this.
  3. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

My Spacecase tape echo eats my El Cap for breakfast and has no mechanical noise. I’m not trying to be Jimmy Page so no need for it to be an exact replica. It’s an amazing little machine and inspires me to be myself. I look forward to many more improved low maintenance modern takes on all the old school mechanical devices.

Ape2000, urQuill, Drewski and 2 others like this.
  4. juri

juri Member

That unit looks to be using tape cassettes which is mechanically very smart. You can use the same heads and a lot of the parts of old cassette decks. Building an echorec style drum from scratch is a total different ball game.

LordByron likes this.
  5. radiohedzz

radiohedzz Member

Same here... they are worlds apart. The differences between real tape in the Replicator Jr and other delays is not subtle.

6. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

My biggest problem with the mechanical units is the maintenance. I agree, a well maintained mechanical delay/echo unit is very hard to beat in a controlled setting.

The only elecctronic unit for that works for me is the Cornish TES and I really like it a lot. It is close enough in a band setting and there were no upkeep hassles. I can imagine the electronic technology is only going to get better and I welcome it. Saying that, I still keep my old Echoplex around for nostalgic purposes, though I have not played it in years now.

LordByron and radiohedzz like this.
  7. moidan

moidan Member

8. MHG

MHG Member

Great. We're just going to have to go ahead and agree to disagree on that.

Blue Bee and radiohedzz like this.
  9. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Worlds apart? Hardly. Did you do a side by side direct comparison? There was a slight difference in the way the repeats would distort on longer trails and the extra delay time was nice but sound wise I could dial the analog to be virtually indistinguishable and the Replicator had no flexibility, added noise, dropouts when using the tap or on/off and chintzy knobs on the face. All things I could live with if the sound was exponentially better. That just isn’t what I experienced.

10. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

It’s 0 for 1 on my end.

11. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Meh. I have an El Cap that I love, but it doesn't do the same thing that even my beater 70s Watkins Copicat tape delay does. Versatility is awesome, but it's not the same sound. I'd like to own the Volante and the T-Rex thing personally.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Tabor likes this.
  12. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

There is no way analog or digital delay will sound just like a tape or drum. Im sorry that some folks can’t hear the difference but not all ears are created equal.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    morgan918 likes this.
  13. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

Good for you. Still disagree.

cholula69 likes this.
  14. radiohedzz

radiohedzz Member

I've owned the old big box memory man, maxon ad900, carl martin delayla, eventide timefactor, tc nova, korg rack unit... and I've sold them so I can't a-b them right now. I still have a specular tempus and a mad professor deep blue delay, both of which are awesome. None of the delays I've had come close to the sound of the Replicator Jr though, so it was worth dealing with the noise and lack of features. I don't know how to explain it, except to say that it fills the space without being intrusive and the delays evolve with more character than the analog and digital counterparts. I can hear a clear difference but I'm super picky about delays.

jacopo, moore_for_less and ArtDecade like this.
  15. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Member

I finally ordered a Replicator. A recent big price drop on the T-Rex tape delays. Wonder why that happened.

16. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

If you're patient you can get a nice Echoplex EP-3 for a great price. Market forces may be affecting this.

For me, these tape delays require a lot of maintenance to keep them in top condition and sounding great. YMMV.

17. conanb

conanb Member

For anyone concerned with maintenance on old tape echo units my experience has been of owning and regularly using a roland re201 space echo for over 10 years and I have done ZERO maintenance on it. It still works perfectly. I have changed the tape in it twice but I only did that out of boredom/curiosity. It's not a rule that you'll need to pay for/worry about maintenance. I've had more maintenance done on modern fuzz and distortion pedals than on my tape echo

LordByron likes this.
  18. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

19. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

That's cool.

Would really, really love to give one a try.

20. stickyFingerz

stickyFingerz Supporting Member

Apparently they are getting all the critical parts ready for manufacturing, so it’s not only a virtual product on the drafting board or a proof of concept prototype.