T-Rex Binson Echorec… WHAT?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by moore_for_less, Jan 16, 2017.

1. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Supporting Member

Hence proving I am third rate!
    :D

2. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

Despite its flawed (notchless) settings dial the Catalinbread Echorec is close enough for me
    I'm not...inte, I'm not...inte, I'm not...inte,
    ...terested-ddd...int...rested-ddd, int...rested-ddd......

LordByron, R.C.Moran and Mr. Limbic like this.
  3. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

They seem to be decent at making tuners and Big Muff copies. I have a couple of T-Rex power supplies that are bulletproof.

But engineering a modern tape echo is a whole lot harder and, to me at least, it seems they didn't spend enough time solving its problems before they went to market. Building a modern Echorec seems exponentially more difficult than that, especially since they slapped the Binson name on it. I'm just skeptical that they can live up to all that with their recent track record. The bar isn't "will it sound good?" It's "will it live up to Dr Bini's legacy?" Good luck, guys.

Instead of working on a new product, I'd rather they spent their R&D time fixing the Replicator and making it as good as it could have been.

4. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

Just for conversation sake, this thing will likely have a similar cost as the replicator (I would think). If that's the case, why wouldn't I just spend the rest of what it would take to get a vintage unit or buy from Marcel? Yes I realize that may still be 3-4x the cost, but I think if you are dealing with delay units close to $1000 USD, you likely have the financial ability to pay for what you want, not just what gets the job done. I know this doesn't speak to everyone, but I think for the majority it would either be that or the sentiment of "why pay so much for that when I can get a CB echorec at a fraction of the cost?". The answer, I think, is simply that T Rex would have to get this product absolutely right, something that is the clear choice. With the replicator (which was, again, dismal...it was the single biggest letdown of a musical product I've ever encountered), you really would be better off finding a serviced Echoplex or Space Echo. Now, of course a Binson is not as readily available as the many tape machines that are out there, but still I think T Rex would need to make a product that is the clear answer to "what mechanical delay should I buy?"

Questions I'd like answered:
    Max Delay Time
    SS or Tube
    External footswitch
    Trails
    Lifespan of the drum, cost of replacements

I want to give T Rex the chance, because I'd love nothing more than for them to create this and it be absolutely everything I could ever want from an Echorec style delay, and if there is any indication that it could be, I'll be first in line to buy it, but I won't hesitate returning it if its not. And again, can we get that 4 head Echosex from Gurus (preferably with at least 1 second delay time)?

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got one of Marcel's tube units, an EP2 and EP3 and an RE501. You can still buy most of the EPs and REs for less than $1000 and they sound great and they're very reliable. They're not the same as the Binson, but they do sound great. I think, to make this work, T-Rex has to nail the sound (or else just get tape), reliability (or else just buy a pedal or save up for Marcel's) AND add something to the equation (longer delay times, for example). Tough goals to achieve. I'm hoping they make it, but the failure of the Replicator and the relative problems with the Fulltone tape echoes don't make me particularly optimistic. I'll play one at NAMM if they're there and get back to you!

6. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Just happy someone has the balls to make an actual tape delay and magnetic drum delays in today's world of emulators(which I also love). Thanks to T-Rex, Fulltone and others for making these things.

Wonder if anyone will reissue some 80's rack delays eventually

7. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Exactly my thoughts!

earwax likes this.
  8. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I'd like to see TC abandon every single mediocre pedal in their line and reissue a dead-on 2290. If Moog can do it with the Minimoog, they can scrape together the parts for a modern 2290.

9. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Namm 2017 at T-Rex

What everyone will be expecting

[​IMG]

What everyone will get

[​IMG]

10. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Is there much of a market for a new 2290 though?

11. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Probably more than the market on a reworked Echorec with the Binson name slapped on there.

LordByron and earwax like this.
  12. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

13. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

[​IMG]

Dear T-Wrecks,

Please don't mess it up.

Thank you,
    Donkey

14. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

The T-Rex guys are certainly brave in attempting this. Would have been so much easier to buy the trademark and make a decent enough digital simulation in an MXR-sized pedal and call it a day. Kudos to them for not taking the easy way out. But probably duplicating (or even slightly improving) the technology isn't the hardest part, it's dealing with the user's expectations/demands for a vintage sounding unit without the maintenance hassles. I'm sure there are a bunch of TGP naysayers ready to declare fail after the first few noisy NAMM demos, but just wait until people actually start to use this "inherently flawed design" as per a previous poster in this thread.

I think the main problem with the Replicator is that everyone wanted Echoplex or Roland space echo sounds/behaviour from a unit with cassette tape cartridges. "That ain't workin'" as Mark Knopfler put it.

I hope T-rex continues their quest, can we dream about an oil can delay for next year? :)

15. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

I really, really want this to be amazing. I hoped they learned from the replicator and produce something extraordinary. Kudos to T-rex for trying to get this stuff out there.

LordByron likes this.
  16. Rodan

Rodan Member

Fool me once... etc etc

17. Bluesful

I suppose the markets for each product is niche at best.

18. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

The problem with the Replicator is that TRex showed and advertised a stable, high quality tape machine and what they delivered was mostly defects that were not stable, could not be properly calibrated, and were a warbly mess. It wasn't an issue with the tape, it was mechanical, and for the asking price and promises made it was completely unnacceptable.

Rory_Rules likes this.
  19. danbond

danbond Member

Are people really discussing putting this on a pedalboard?!! Why would you even do that?!

It's a tape echo. Stick it next to your amp.

20. Bluesful

It's not tape.

hippieboy and LordByron like this.