T-Rex Binson Echorec… WHAT?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by moore_for_less, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Tonefan

Tonefan Member

That's fair enough. Does the length of tape make a difference to tone? I would love to read more about how width and length of tape affect tone. Does anyone have any links to articles on this? Btw I don't own a replicator yet, but wonder if it's additions out way any subtle differences in tone in a live setting.

2. SunWorship

SunWorship Member

There's a whole bunch of articles and wiki entries on specific units like the Echoplex available on the google, they don't seem focus on these technical topics so much as mention them in passing, particularly when comparing the succession of new models that were appearing back in the day.

The advantage of wide tape is obvious to anyone who has enjoyed the rhythm section on a rock record of the 60's or 70's, the greater length on units like the Echoplex and the Space Echo (which used a kind of "bay" where the tape was free to unspool itself rather than the previously conventional reel) makes the tape last longer is it's not being continuously overwritten.

Auditory Driving and LordByron like this.
  3. Tonefan

Tonefan Member

Ahh. I appreciate your response. Interesting.

4. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

My negativity and experience with the replicator was because the unit I purchased had an uncontrollable warble and the heads never being quite right after hours of adjusting. I could never get a good sound out of it, and I was going to exchange it suspecting I had a bad unit, but I began reading that many others had the same problem and then decided to return mine. Bear in mind, this was close to when they first released so there weren't many reviews online, then reactions started pouring in. So I decided to simply return it, and am now wary of the Binson Echorec they are building, although I hope it is excellent and makes up for my experience with the replicator.

Rory_Rules, Tonefan and LordByron like this.
  5. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

If it's really going to be under $1000, I might pull the trigger. For some reason I'm thinking it will cost more. It sure looks expensive.

spiral likes this.
  6. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Short answer: no. The length of the tape mostly affects how long it takes to wear out. If you have a long tape wind, then it'll stay cleaner after a lot of hours of use. If you use a short tape, it'll wear out faster and you'll hear the wow and flutter people are always going on about. When I wind new tape cartridges, I turn the spool about 20ish times until my brain says "that's good enough." Personally, I like my Echoplexes to stay pretty clean. Life's too short to play worn out tape :)

As far as width, 1/4" tape just seems to sound 'bigger' and 'fuller' than 1/8" tape. Those old Univox echoes that used 1/8" don't sound anywhere near as big and juicy as an Echoplex. I think the circuitry of the unit has a lot to do with it too.

In any event, I think the Replicator was a bust because it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as an Echoplex or an old Space Echo. Maybe it's their circuit? Maybe it's the 1/8" tape? They put a lot of cool technology into it (tap tempo on a tape echo!) but they just didn't hit the bar soundwise.

Tonefan likes this.
  7. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. Anyone that thinks the Effectrode unit is on the horizon is going to be sadly let down. They have been posting teaser information on their website for years. My guess is to draw web traffic in hopes they can get new customers. I will also go on record. Effectrode will never release a Binson type unit. It is a dream.

I have original Echoplex, and Binson units but I do not use them anymore. The maintenance and upkeep on them is insane. When they are hitting there is nothing like the tone of an original (and I am not a vintage type of guy) but to get them there on a consistent basis is enough to make a person crazy. I got them serviced one last time and put them in a closet to sell one day. Even a new unit, with all the modern features, will not be for the faint of heart. It will require a serious commitment to keep it running.

These days I use digital or analog delay pedals with some type of modulation. Nobody can tell the difference in a band mix or running through a board. While these T-Rex units look cool I learned my lesson buying something like this.

stahlhart and kowalski440 like this.
  8. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I don't think the maintenance on my tape echoes is insane. After an initial expensive service/repair I've had no problems on any of mine. It matters a lot who does the work and the same goes for R2R machines.

They stay at home though and I agree about using pedals. A dd-2 can fool me when ran through the preamp of the old machines.

Black_Label and PurpleJesus like this.
  9. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

Maintenance on my SSTE and my old echoplexes is basic. You just have to do it. Can't speak on Binson maintenance. No idea there.

I really like my Boonar a lot. If TRex pulls this off, I'm in. I'll let someone else do the initial beta testing.

On the subject of tape length; the SSTE tape is super short. Much shorter than the TTE tape. I guess that helped get through the initial issues.

champion ruby and LordByron like this.
  10. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Supporting Member

Catalinbread's Howard and Scott chatting with Sebastian from T-Rex on Thursday.
    [​IMG]
    I only overheard tech-talk. I wonder if copyright came up? :hide2

LordByron and Tri Pedal Reviews like this.
  11. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

So it looks like T Rex have purposely put it in that glass dome so no one can demo it?

12. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

I don't think it's a working unit. Probably a mock-up or prototype.

LordByron likes this.
  13. Bluesful

The drum is spinning though isn't it?

14. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

It wasn't even on the floor today...or they moved it out of sight...or something...

15. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

Could have been for display. If it were a working unit, wouldn't they want people to hear it? Test it? Especially at NAMM.

PurpleJesus likes this.
  16. Bluesful

Yeah you'd think so.

Unless they're running it as a teaser.

LordByron likes this.
  17. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Howard looks like he's ready to step out with the T-Rex dude

ZeppFreak likes this.
  18. ZeppFreak

ZeppFreak Member

This thing needs a separate foot pedal. Honestly one of the turn-offs of the other echorec delay pedals is that you have to bend down to change the settings. The Boonar is great but what if you want to select different heads? Hope T Rex includes an option with a separate foot switch

LordByron likes this.
  19. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

Lack of a working demo unit to the floor suggests no where near ready for prime time. Perhaps they had a beta unit in a room somewhere for a few special friends to give opinions and suggestions. Perhaps by this time next year we will get to hear it.

Bluesful, Black_Label and LordByron like this.
  20. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Supporting Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    Seems like the same thing happened with the Replicator. Showed up to NAMM in a glass dome but we didn't get to hear it until the next year. Am I remembering that right?