T-Rex Binson Echorec… WHAT?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by moore_for_less, Jan 16, 2017.

1. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

Yup. No sound demos = not close

AND, I reallllllly hope they take their time. The replicator felt really rushed to me and I didn't care for it at all.

This Echorec, I'd wait as long as needed for them to nail it. Will most likely preorder the first day possible. Just hope they get all the kinks out.

moidan, Scott_F and LordByron like this.
  2. deadlands

deadlands Member

Huh? unless you have a pedal with presets, you always have to bend down to change settings.

3. ZeppFreak

ZeppFreak Member

Yes that's true. What I was trying to get at is that if T Rex is going to actually replicate the machine itself it would be more convenient to have the unit near you so that you can change settings on the fly and have a separate foot switch to turn it on or off. Not to mention the echorec would take up a lot of space on your pedal board.

4. guitar007

guitar007 Member

I'm just going to go ahead and plan on getting this (when available) unless it's plagued with poor reviews. :munch

5. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

I guess it depends on how much you're using it. When I compare to my regular pedals, I pretty much change a battery, if that, or wipe the gunk off it and that is it.

With my tube or solid state Echoplex there is a lot more involved. Demagnetizing, cleaning, spare tape cartridges, splicing block, etc...I don't have one digital or analog pedal that requires this type of service. It may be basic but it takes time to do it right and that would qualify as insane in my book. Maybe it is just me but I find it a lot of work outside of actually playing it regularly when trying to balance a family and playing music.

LandWaterSky likes this.
  6. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I've never had an Echoplex so I'm guessing they are a bit more difficult. My Echolettes get used often, cleaned often and use inexpensive pre-made loops. I enjoy the maintenance as it doesn't take long and the sound of a fresh loop running on a clean tape path is the reward. I also have no family commitments.:hide2

7. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

What's it take? Like 30 minutes every 6 months? I demag and clean my Echoplexes about that often. I don't think I've ever wound a new tape cartridge because it was worn out - pretty much only if I find some new tape I want to try out. The upkeep is pretty minimal and I look at it more as a labor of love than a chore.

Maybe it's a tiny bit more work than an analog or digital delay; but it's also the sound that they're all copying. I can't imagine I'd be that upset if my DD-500 fell out of a window. My EP-2 on the other hand...

Auditory Driving and Bluesful like this.
  8. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

Like I wrote, I guess it depends on how much you're using it. When an Echoplex is powered up the tape is CONSTANTLY moving. In a 3-4 set gig how many miles has that tape traveled? The tape path needs to be cleaned regularly, and often. Even with the best quality tape, the heads should be cleaned about every few hours of use or 10 duplicating runs. Then you have to wait for it to dry and demagnetize the heads and capstan.

Every 6 months? Perhaps if that is how often you are using it.

Every person I spoke with about getting into a tape echo I warned about the maintenance work and possible trouble shooting. Within a year they all sold them because they are too much work.

Can we agree to disagree? For me, it is a fair amount of work to keep them running properly. I can get there with digital with a heck of a lot less work.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  9. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Older units require more care and maintenance and for the most part that's all we've had in terms of binsons or tape echoes until recently. Tape echoes are going to be a little more maintenance than a binson. I've had my Binson Super Special for... what?... a year? I haven't cleaned the heads once though it's probably due and i'm curious to see if i can tell the difference once i do. Either way, it's a simple task of opening the top, putting a few drops of oil on a piece of paper and rubbing them between the 4 heads and the metal wheel. That's it! Easypeezy...... YMMV.

LordByron likes this.
  10. moidan

moidan Member

In the interview the D-Rex-Guy said: "after summer"

LordByron likes this.
  11. moidan

moidan Member

I don´t think effectrode do all the work/infos about the Binson Echorec to get web traffic.

For me it looks that Phil really love the Echorec and has a great knowlage about it...I do not think without a reason

Tonefan likes this.
  12. guitar007

guitar007 Member

I agree. I have multiple Echoplexs. You have to enjoy the maintenance aspect otherwise it may not be worth it to you. I really enjoy getting in there and tweaking, so for me, it's a plus.

Auditory Driving and LordByron like this.
  13. greenlander

greenlander Member

Effectrode is just waiting to get in their order of glass domes.

14. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

im pretty excited about this--we'll see what it sounds like.

Like pretty much everything else in life--the real thing is better. Whether it's enough to justify the price is a matter of taste and opinion.

To date--I'd still say nothing matches a vintage Echorec. For price and convenience (in addition to toanz), nothing beats the Boonar (pun intended).

If T Rex can deliver, it will be interesting!

LordByron likes this.
  15. ZeppFreak

ZeppFreak Member

Target price is $999

LordByron and Ardour like this.
  16. guitar007

guitar007 Member

17. Brian Gilmour

Brian Gilmour Member

Scott has a look on his face that says "That's all well and good but you ain't going to slap the Echorec name on it if we have our say."

18. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

probably mad cuz trex is gonna add tap tempo to it.

19. Rhinestone Cowboy

Rhinestone Cowboy Member

Have there been any updates on this?

Please take my money already.

20. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Supporting Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    No updates I know of, I believe we won't be hearing until *at least* Summer NAMM, more likely Winter NAMM.