T-Rex Mudhoney reissue. "handmade" the Danish collection review.

Guppie

I bought the Danish collection reissue of the T-Rex Mudhoney after selling my original "Dino logo". I missed it and bought the reissue so I thought I would compare them.
Apparently this reissue is precisely modelled after the one Danish Pete had (from the Andertons video's). They market it as "handmade" but it says "assembled in China" on the bottom. But one doesn't have to exclude the other i guess. I took a look inside and it looks good quality with full size caps and resistors. It's handmade, not handwired. This reissue can be recognised by the white chickenheads and boost toggle instead of a push button.
How does it sound compared to the "Dino"? Well, the Dino was a little bit brighter. Gain range and volume are about the same. After trying it at home I immediately noticed it was less bright and thought this might be a problem. I'm mainly a rhythm player and I like to have a slightly aggressive attacking sound. I have tried in a full band rehearsal yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised! As said this reissue seems to have less brightness and and a slight mid-hump but somehow it works beautifully. The sound was sizzling, smokey and it rocked. Beautiful dynamics and it had attitude in spades. It really filled out the mix in a way I've never experienced before. That mid-focus is beautifully dialed in to not be honkey but to ooze attitude and confidence. It stacks great with my EWS Fuzz drive in front of it. It just sizzles more with a little more compression and treble content. Playing this pedal really made me feel to put my feet up on the monitor and start nodding my head in a slightly rhythmic fashion. And I'm usually somewhat self-conscious on stage. So to summarize: slightly different tonal character than the Dino but rich complex mids and mid-highs make this a gorgeous pedal. Recommended for classic and modern/alternative rock but I imagine I would do blues just as wonderfully.
I play a strat and an Gibson SG with P90's into a fender Prosonic. I have two bands. One cover band that plays 90's alternative rock and another one that plays original material that can be described as noise/post-rock

Last edited:

monkeybrains

I have a beat up dino mudhoney. great pedal. disappointed the new one is made in china. I'd assumed they were made in Denmark.

Guppie

I have a beat up dino mudhoney. great pedal. disappointed the new one is made in china. I'd assumed they were made in Denmark.
Me to but the pedal feels high quality so I have no issues with it now. I guess that a Danish built would result in a 500,- pedal. Denmark is an expensive country.

tapeup

Butterscotch Supt. Member
This is odd. The other night I was looking at buying one of the Danish reissues, and I saw some sold listings on Reverb that said Made in Denmark on the back (yes Danish reissues not vintage Dino ones), but from what you said, not all of the Danish reissues are made in Denmark, and yours in fact says Made in China? - Hmm, I was thinking about spending the extra for a Dansih built one, but I mayaswell save myself some money if they are no different than any used ones from the last ten years or so and not actually built in Denmark like the old ones.

An example of one of the sold listings I saw that has an actual clear photo of the bottom (for some reason, a lot of listings for the Denmark reissue don't show a picture of the bottom so it's hard to verify the country of manufafacture):

T-Rex Mudhoney Danish Collection DC https://reverb.com/item/29382957-t-rex-mudhoney-danish-collection-dc

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
On a slightly diff but related note. I played a Mudhoney II in a guitar shop here in Austin today. Honestly I thought it sounded great. Sounded like a brighter/tighter Rat and having the two separate volume, gain, tone settings is super useful for having two channels. Impressive.

Trending Topics