T-rex replica or Eventide timefactor?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by fernandopareta, Aug 29, 2008.

1. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

Hi, I`m always looking for the greatest digital delay, but I couldn`t find it yet, I`m looking for hi fi delay sound (like some pro tools plugin), I want to get my studio sound to live sound, what is better for digital delay t-rex or eventide? I know that the timefactor has a lot of options, but I`m talking about sound quality.
    Thanks

2. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

Never used the T-Rex...but can tell you the TimeFactor is an awesome, awesome sounding digital delay pedal. It's the best I've come across to date.

3. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

+1 for the TimeFactor, I just had some issues w/ the software that were taken care of by downloading the latest software update. Everything workes like a charm now. It's so ridiculously felxible, too.

I had the TC Nova Delay and prior to that I had brought home the TC Vintage Delay, which apparently was introduced as a direct competitor to the Replica. I've never tried a real Replica, which apparently is absolutely stunning--but the TC Vintage Delay was meh. Plus it didn't work very well through my FX loop. The TC Nova Delay was very sweet-sounding, clear yet could be dialed up for DEFINED warmth--awesome pedal, cheaper than both the TimeFactor or Replica, however the Eventide is A LOT MORE flexible. I'd rather think in terms of rhythmic subdivisions than milliseconds and the TF is awesome in that sense--the Nova had very limited scope in that department. Plus the TF is pretty much 2 delays (of the same type, I think) in one. Make sure yours is loaded w/ version 2.0.3 software. Timefactor can be bright, warm, hi-fi or lo-fi; whatever you want (make sure you twist that filter knob, and the other fine-tuning ones). You can do crazy stuff w/ it as well.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

The TimeFactor has a ton of options and a really cool feature of diming in two seperate delay times, but based on sound and sound alone, I like the T-Rex better.

5. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I had both and kept the Replica. I preferred the simplicity.

The Eventide is an AMAZING delay and I can see using it again.

6. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

On sound alone, I'd say Replica. Timefactor still is a very good sounding delay, though.

For studio quality live, I always have to throw in a quick plug for the Damage Control Timeline, though. ;)

7. javahut

javahut Member

Curious what you guys think is better about the T-Rex sound over the Time Factor.

I switched to Time Factor for live from DSL Echo Tap. Echo Tap was good, but very muddy and unclear directly compared to Time Factor. Time Factor is a great pedal delay with great clarity if you want it. But it still can't get quite as clear as a software delay in a DAW for recording purposes, even when running in a send/return config straight out of the DAW. It's got some great delay types and emulations, though.

8. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

At the risk of sounding like a cork-sniffer who hears only what I think will make me look like I have a superior ear :)roll), I couldn't get over what the Timefactor did to my dry signal. I had read that it converted my dry signal to digital and then back to analog, but I didn't give it much thought. After two weeks of using it, I was just hating the response and depth that seemed to be lacking from my sound. I couldn't figure it out, and then remembered about the Timefactor's conversion thing. So I tried out all the different bypass settings in it, but on each one my tone still sounded better when the Timefactor was out of my chain, or when the bypass loop I had it in was off.

I absolutely loved it's delayed sounds, just not what it did to my dry signal.

And a lot of guitarists with much better ears than me say that they have absolutely no problem with what it does to their dry signal, so maybe I'm just cork-sniffing, or maybe it's my rig, who knows. But that's what I heard.

Plus, I loved the 'weight' the Replica seemed to give to its delayed notes...might be something to do with its 3db compression boost.

Anyway, that's my hopefully humble opinion.

9. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Cool to know, what does the Replica sound like when compared to Time Factor? Would you say it's smoother?

10. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I would say it's 'weightier'; like, the delayed notes sounded almost as if another guitarist was copying you in time. It just sounded very real, at least to my ears. It sounds very vintage analog on the brown setting, and very 'clean & modern' but still analog-ish on the normal setting.

To me, the Timefactor sounds very rackmount delay-ish, and I mean that in a total good way. I said that in another post and it got taken the wrong way. I don't mean cold rackmount; I mean really clean, smooth, professional, and harmonic sounding rackmount. It was just the dry signal thing that put me off to it.

I'm sure some people (with good jobs) have both the Replica and the Timefactor for different applications.

11. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

12. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Replica for its simplicity and absolute respect of the original tone, all in a small package
    Timefactor for its many fonctions and complete tweakability

13. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Having tried both, and liking both, I ended up with the Timefactor on my board because of the switchable presets and looper which I use alot....

14. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I have both currently and I like them both alot! I use the eventide for a bunch of presets- tape, reverse, dotted 8th etc...the trex used to be just for the really subtle repeat or two, very warm and nice sounding. The decay of the note is very natural I found.
    I regret to announce that the Trex got kicked off the board by the skreddy echo for the subtle delay with a delicious modulation...I mean absoloutely delicious!
    I think for a studio's needs, the timefactor would be more versataille but they are both excellent sounding delays!

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

imo the empress superdelay sound much better than both of these units, though it depends on what you define as 'better'.

16. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Not to hijack, but as this is a thread about trying to find the best sounding delay out there for live use, I saw that you did some soundclips of the DC Timeline, which is what I'm playing now. I have not tried the Empress yet, though. If you like, the Empress better than the Replica and the Timefactor, how does it compare to the Timeline? Thanks!

17. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I love both of them, as well as the T-Rex Reptile and Nova Delay. Currently I own the TF and love it....Another pretty cool delay, especially for the coin is the Hardwire DL-8 to keep as a spare in case your go to dies out live....

18. steinwand

steinwand Member

TF FTW for its versatility and sound :AOK

the T-Rex in the brown setting is just muddy
    and in the regular setting too precise and digital
    IMHO the T-Rex is one of the most overrated pedals ever.

19. George Adelson

George Adelson Member

This pretty much sums up my feelings about the pedal as well. Got it once it came out and used it for several gigs and decided to punt. I definitely prefer the TF. A lot more options, better sound IMO for about the same $.

20. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

No contest - Timefactor wins. It can do it all - hi-fi, lo-fi, tweaked out, spaced out, the tape setting with the filter rolled back and "wow" at 1 is flat out the coolest delay sound out there (besides the TTE, but that's tubes & tape for ya!). The T-Rex, like others have felt, sounded muddy & unclear to me. Eventide rules!