T-Rex replica... the way it is.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sega, Feb 15, 2008.

1. sega

sega Member

Finally,
    After many doubts that I had about this pedal I went to music store in Montréal (Boutique Tone) and try another one(T-rex replica delay).

The way this pedal behave is strange.
    When you turn the delay volume knob (top left one)as you increase the echo the volume of guitar goes down.

On top of it, as you turn the echo far right the mix is more wet than dry.
    So before you buy it, try it.

Sure the echo is nice, I'm thinking seriously of getting back my Re-501.
    Tape echo is the way to go, in my opinion.
    I will try a few more delays(maxon,diamond) but my mind is pretty made up.

2. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I was planning to get one of these for awhile. Now I've been shifting a bit more towards the TC Nova Delay. I missed the Music123 deal otherwise I would probably have one already. Still not quit sure which way to go on this.

3. Dana

Dana Guest

UPS just dropped my T Rex Replica off today. I'll have to check that out when I get home tonight.

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I don't seem to notice that problem but I would like to just point out that having the correct power supply is crucial. The Replica sounds different and funny at times with a 9v power supple.

5. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

That is precisely what that knob is for. It is for wet and dry levels, not signal level. Noon is 50% wet and 50% dry. Its not broken or finicky, its just the way it is. Now, depending on what that is set at, it may or may not be at unity. That is what the level knob (top right one) is for. It can even give you a 3db boost if you want it to.

6. mhenson42

mhenson42 Supporting Member

I tried Sniper-V's t-rex and I liked it alot more than my TC Nova delay. That being said, I just ordered the Eventide Timefactor, a Modfactor and a TC G-Sharp today with the MF spend $1000 and save $150 deal.

7. vinney57

vinney57 Member

It should have been more correctly labelled 'Delay Mix'

I just picked up the TC Electronics version which is half price (if you can find them) as they are discontinuing their badge engineering arrangement with T-REX

8. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm still waiting to try the TimeFactor still...

Maybe I'll take my Replica and do a shoot out when you get the TimeFactor.

I'm digging my new Cameron 2204 but I still want to check out your Sig X when you get it.

9. mhenson42

mhenson42 Supporting Member

soon I hope. I did get my Splawn Nitro in. I'll be having some sort of mini amp-fest at my house - probably mid-March - I'll let you know.

10. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I like putting the echo at 11:45 and the mix at 1:00 or so.

It's a really straight forward delay, and you have to decide whether it's worth the money or not. The memory lane will be a little more costly, and will have the degrading analog tone. Are you sure of what type of delay you are wanting, i.e. how the repeats finish? I love the replica because it's true to the original input, and doesn't sound overly crisp. It's definitely not a degraded analog style delay, and you should get a separate unit if you want that sound (I bought an ar20dl).

I'd be interested in trying out a timefactor...I am not sure that the repeats would be as nice though.

11. sega

sega Member

Ok lets clear something out here.
    I know the pedal is working 100% of it's capability. (bhelvick1)

I'm not trashing it, but I have to advise some people before
    they buy it and not having the chance to try it first.

Plug the guitar in the delay, and switch it ON and turn the delay knob(top left) and notice the volume loss.
    It's incredible.

Plus, the wet and dry mix is not what it should sound like.
    Maybe for T-Rex but to me it's not acceptable.(boss is better)
    If I want to play the lead in TIME from Pink Floyd...as a exemple, I will have a lot of problem since I need a lot of delay, and the more I turn the delay knob, the less I hear my dry mix (guitar).
    Just the slapback is not fun.

So in the end it's not what i'm looking for, and i'm wondering if for $400 it's not better to buy a Space echo.
    I had the 150 model, re-201 and the re-501, and any of em were a lot better.

So my main question is, does David Gilmour use this in is rig?
    I'm doubt it very much.

It's for sale....

12. vinney57

vinney57 Member

I don't think the problem is with the delay....

13. sega

sega Member

Meaning?

14. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Pic of the Replica in Gilmour's rig for his european summer shows.

[​IMG]

Honestly I don't think you understand yet how to get the best sound out of the Replica. Perhaps turn the mix down instead of turning it all the way up and turn the level knob higher. The mix or left knob is supposed to work the way it is. If you want more guitar you have to balance it out with the level knob. It is the balance between the mix and level knobs that is going to determine your overall delay sound.

15. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Again, try these out:

Echo: 11:45
    Level: 12:45-50
    Repeat: 8:45

The reason you have volume loss when turning the echo up all of the way is because it is echoing a dead signal. 12:00 = 50% dry and wet, I never get above this. Are you using the regular tone, or tone with the button pushed in?

I bought two off of here, and one of them was obviously malfunctioning. I sent both of them back in to get repaired, though I wasn't sure that the other was broken.

16. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

nrvana brought up a good point. When the brown button is engaged, there is more of a volume drop, independent of the echo knob's position. This drop could be adjusted by using the level knob to increase the gain of the pedal, bringing it to unity (or even past that if you'd like). I tend to adjust the level knob to get the pedal back to unity if Im switching back and forth between engaging the brown button or not because of this very issue. You need to work with both of the top knobs in order to have the control over the things you are wanting.

Good luck in your search.

17. sega

sega Member

I've been turning knobs the way it should.
    I will try other configuration, i've been playing with effects for more that 20 years now.

If I can't get it to sound right before...i doubt i will get it to sound good tomorrow, but I will try a last time.

But the main problem or should I say the way it's built is echo knobs should be made differently, I never used a pedal with a mix for dry and wet, unless you want to play stereo....it could be nice that way.

And the top right (volume) is for volume only.

Anyway, I'm getting it out of my room soon.

18. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I actually really like the replica, eventhough I don't own one. Very nice, *warm* sounding delay capable of getting some very nice, analog sounds, despite being a digital delay. I actually would like to pick one up sometime soon. All the ones that I've played have been great!
    I wonder if the trex is better than the timefactor for some things...

19. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

I love my Replica. I think I like the simplicity of it and it's warmth. I've never had any issues with volume loss or loss of tone using it in my rig. I was impressed with all the features on the Nova but I found myself not using about 90% of it.

20. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Gilmour used the Replica when his TES was on the fritz...he wouldn't normally use it. I've been through the pros/cons with the Replica so many times now...bought and sold 3 in total. I like everything about the pedal except for what it does to my tone on vs bypass. I settled on two dd-2's in a looper arrangement until Cornish gives me the nod to send one over for a TES.