T-Rex Replica

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mtnbkr123, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

I picked up a T-Rex Replica today at my local guitar store, which I try to get to every weekend in search of quality used gear. The Replica was marked "used" and priced accordingly (I actually think it was mis-priced). I have seen brand new pedals that were not in as pristine condition as this. It's absolutely mint. I don't know who used it previously or for how long, but it was packaged perfectly. The box and manuals look like they have never been opened.

Anyway, I did some quick searches and apart from some Gilmour stuff and bits and pieces at TGP and a few other sites, I could not find much on this pedal in the way of reviews.

I have 30 days to return it. I plan to put it through its paces, but in the meantime, do any of you have any comments, good or bad, about it?

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

2. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

Thank you, and sorry for the brutal search I tried to do. I will read all the links you gave me.

Edit: I have read a bit more now. Looks like I stumbled onto something very good today. My lucky day.

2nd Edit: hmmm...maybe not. Some might say a little old and tired design-wise, and way too much $$$. Oh well. At least it was priced nicely. It was cheaper than the much more used DD-3 beside it. Decision time...

Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  3. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

Sorry to revive this thread. I have a used Replica and a used Supa Puss in hand. The Replica is mint. The Supa Puss is not. They are priced the same. Based on original selling price and condition, on paper the Replica is a MUCH better deal. I have read every single shred of info online about both pedals.

As much as I don't want to return the Replica, I think I may have to (unless I keep them both). To my ears, the Supa Puss is MUCH better sounding and MUCH easier to dial in (despite the apparent simplicity of the Replica, and alleged complexity of the Supa Puss). The "Subdivision" toggle switch on the Replica is a complete joke compared to the much more user friendly and powerful subdivisions on the Aqua Puss. The "Brown" toggle switch on the Replica may as well not even exist, it is so subtle. Strangely, the digital Replica is 10x darker than the analog Supa Puss. The Replica sounds like I have a blanket over my AC30.

I don't understand all the accolades for the Replica. Gilmour, and others. I don't know if I am somehow not using it correctly (or if it is defective or broken) but it's shocking to me how dark and lifeless it sounds when A/Bed against the Supa Puss. To my ears, they are not even in the same league.

Someone please tell me I am crazy before I return the Replica...it's not just for me but for my daughter. I am trying to collect the nicest gear I can for her.

Thanks.

4. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

If it's for her, meaning your daughter, let her play it in and decide…You seemed to like it earlier so it can't be all that bad

5. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

Thanks. It's for me now, and for her eventually. She prefers the tone of the Supa Puss as well. I never had the Supa Puss until a few days ago.

I feel as though I have a Porsche and a Chrysler sitting in my driveway that I picked up for the same price, and that I like the Chrysler better.

I don't want to return the Replica if I am missing something. Just doing a sanity check here, if I may.

Thanks again.

6. SG-GUY 92'

SG-GUY 92' Member

The replica is an amazing and simple delay. It's a very warm digital delay. I truly regret trading mine off. On the other hand, there are tons of great delays out now. Nothing wrong with picking the Supa Puss over it if that is what sounds better. Would I like to own a T Rex Replica still? Yes. Would I be using it over the delays I own? No.

7. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

I am running that AC30 attenuated. I should probably open it up unattenuated and A/B them then (at the risk of getting arrested). I think maybe the top end being shaved off with the attenuator, might be making the Replica sound overly dark. I hate to return it because I actually think it was badly mid-priced and that I got an incredible deal on it. Maybe I will just keep both. Whatever.

Sorry to pull you into my madness.

8. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i still have my replica. sounds great.

i do remember when i got it... i was initially not impressed... i couldn't dial it in right... and the knobs are very sensitive. the slightest tweak (or accidental kick) of a knob can make a huge difference. i eventually figured it out and had it on my gigging board for a while.

did it come with the proper adapter? you need to make sure you're running it at 12 volts. i tried at 9 off a PP2+... just didn't sound right. although i'm sure the newer pedal powers designed for digital pedals have a jack that can handle it.

and yes... the subdivision switch doesn't really change much... but i wasn't looking for that from this pedal... so it didn't bother me. if you really need that... get something else.

this pedal is more... "i'm going to play a face melting solo and i need a big fat wet gilmour or mayer-like echoy delay" than it is "hey let's do some U2 songs."

9. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

Yes. Correct 12v adaptor was included. As was everything else. The box was as close to being unopened as it could be. The Replica was in the original plastic bag. The box and everything else was pristine. It literally is brand new. For 1/3 the cost. And a store warranty included.

That's why I hate to return it :-(

Thanks guys. I will just keep both. I can think of worse ways to spend my money.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  10. rummy

rummy Member

I've been using Replica for years now, and I still love it. It's a simple delay pedal that sounds great. I use Aqua Puss for short delays and Replica for longer.

100JH likes this.
  11. 100JH

100JH Member

I run a Replica and DD2. LOVE em both!

12. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

When i first bought my Replica I wasn't sure about it for some time. Now I'll never get rid of it. Nice warm repeats that stay clear and defined going into the Normal channel of my Plexi. I have an earlier dinosaur logo model and all the features on it work and they are effective.

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

I think Gilmour switched from the Replica to the Providence Delay and another one that I forget the name of...maybe Flight Time?

14. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Gilmour used it for one section of one song on one tour. His primary delays on that tour were a Cornish TES and a MXR Delay System II. At that time I actually got the Replica thinking "well if Gilmour uses it...", and it certainly didn't sound bad, but in retrospect I've preferred basically every other delay I've ever owned over it.

15. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

No Replica here, but I have a T-Rex Reptile delay. My Reptile is a v1, with the second stomp engaging modulation, as opposed to the tap tempo switch of the v2.

The T-Rex repeats sit unobtrusively and fade quite nicely, and this delay really sounds great for both recording and live. The wet mix is much more smoothly tapered than my old 80s MIJ DD-3, which to me is more of a sweet spot affair.

The T-Rex and a Diamond Quantum Leap are my favorite digitals for modulated repeats. Reptile has around 300 ms more time than the Diamond and gets recorded more accordingly, since the extra ms affords more flexibility for tempo matching.

For sticklers of unity gain*, as well as clean input signal that's not clipped, the Reptile's level control and input gain trimmer are invaluable. *Or the level can be boosted for solos or even set below unity.

I have a Supa-Puss that I gigged for a while. Some amazing sounds in there. I hung loose on buying until I thought all the bugs had been worked out; the pedal went through several rounds of revisions at Way Huge. There were still issues with my version however: very sensitive wet mix, with narrow practical window and much of the mix knob's travel being over the top and useless to me. Oscillation comes on far too easily at subtle settings and will chatter under real time playing, often needing to be dialed out manually. The kiss of death for live delay in my world is a volume bump, which my Supa has, as well as a slight brightness/presence bump. As great as the pedal is capable of sounding, those three quirks really made it impractical for live use, so it got bumped.

Sounds righteous though, and does several things that none of my other analogs will do: well beyond 600 ms, dirt and EQ for repeats, tap, subdivisions, etc. So I hang onto it as a stand-alone analog for recording. Great for chord pads on keys, strings, melodion, E-bow tracks, whatnot, and has tons of sonic character.

I use analogs and digitals differently, so pitting a T-Rex against a Supa-Puss in the interest of choosing one over the other is a N/A comparison for me. However I would choose the T-Rex over the Supa for live work, due to the Supa's overly sensitive mix and oscillation, and volume/presence bump as engaged.