T-Rex Reptile or Eventide Timefactor?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by gbsmusic, Jul 20, 2008.

1. gbsmusic

gbsmusic Member

Has anyone used both of these delay pedals? Which one did you like better and why?

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Two totally different animals, IMHO.

The Timefactor will give you crisp rackmount-sounding delays and functionality, and the Reptile will give you nice, warm echoes and be more or less a one trick pony. Both sound good, and my prediction is that you'll get a lot of advice to get both. It all depends on what you need out of a delay pedal if getting both is not an option.

3. gbsmusic

gbsmusic Member

Yes I'm sure you are right in I'll get good feedback on both, I just bought the Reptile and I like it but I have'nt heard the Timefactor in person, but with everything it does it has got me thinking because I can still take the Reptile back. The modulation on the Timefactor really sounds better on the vidios, the Replica is also an option.

4. 2tones

2tones Member

I've owned both the T-Rex Replica (not Reptile), and the Eventide Timefactor. To me, the T-Rex wasn't much more than a fancy European-built Boss delay pedal. It costs a lot more, but I think this is mainly due to the poor dollar/euro exchange rate.

The Timefactor just plain does more of everything. More effects, more configuration options, and it was quieter running straight into a variety of amps without an effects loop. Then there's the Eventide's 20 presets, vs. "on" and "off" for the T-Rex.

If you can get your hands on a Timefactor for a quick audition, I'm betting the T-Rex won't last long.

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Timefactor can be WARM if one learns to use it. Rackmount my a--.

6. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Well, I guess then I just wasn't smart enought to learn how to use it. ;) Granted, I do not consider myself to have a very good ear, but for what it's worth, I did not like the Timefactor. I offer my opinion only in case there are others with (unfortunately) my same ear.

I understand that the Timefactor is a highly respected pedal and people can get some great tones out of it. I'm probably in the minority in not liking its sound, or thinking it doesn't sound warm enough or whatever.

Oh, well. Hopefully I still have the ability to maintain an opinion on this board, even if it's wrong. :dude

7. Andre357

Andre357 Member

:drink:D.........when you owned one did you fool around with the filter knob ?? You can very warm. analog type sounds with the use of that filter knob ( with the new software update, the filter knob is even more useful ). You can get sounds that are even downright filthy and lo - fi....

So IMHO, you can get the pristine delay thing happening, but you can do the lo fi warm, analog, ambient churn as well.

For instance as much as I love the PROguitarshop demos.....they don't even show the range of the filter knob during their TF video and how it changes the tone of the delays ( i only say that in case you haven't owned one and are going by that demo )...

And of course your opinion is as valid as everyone else's :AOK.....

There's no right and wrong when it comes to this stuff :)