T-Von mod kits in Boss pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ascension, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Ascension

Ascension Member

I have 4 of these so far that I have done .
    1- CS-3 with the DIY kit. This one is FANTASTIC the CS-3 is a nice unit stock but it colors the tone to much and sounds "unnatural" at higher settings. With the mod it is quieter and extremely transparent now. It is one of if not the best Compressors I have ever played through. I HIGHLY reccomend this kit!!!
    2- BD-2 I did the T-Von H2O mod on this one. WOW!!!! SUPER transparent, smooth, sweet and just buttery sounding really responsive to touch and just a FANTASTIC overdrive. With the drive turned down this one makes an incredable clean boost that is super trasparent it adds nice warmth and meat but no "color". Forget about a TS 808 or the variants for a true tube type overdrive the BD-2 with the H2O mod is simply the best I have ever heard!!! I am looking for a cheap used BD-2 to do another one for my second board.
    3- SD-1 I did the standard mod + the gain bleed fix on this one. It is MUCH smoother and alive sounding than stock. This one IMO sounds better than any of the vintage TS 808's I have played! While not as sweet, refined and buttery smooth sounding as the BD-2 ( this one is a little more raw sounding and brighter ) the SD-1 with the mod is a really killer sounding overdrive pedal now!
    4-DS-1 I did the Rectifier + mod on this one. Really in you face tone more gain and smoother than stock. This one is too much for me I wish I had just done the standard Mod for my use . I have to admit if you want a solid edgie distortion like an old Rat but less harsh and smoother this will fit the bill .IMO it blows the raspy nasty tones of the Rat's AWAY!!
    Overall the T-Von mods from Monte Allums are REALLY [​IMG]. If you have the skills to do the work you can have a world class pedal for PEANUTS buying a used Boss pedal and doing these mods.
    Here is a link to his site
    http://www.monteallums.com/index.html

2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

reads like an advert

3. flicker180

flicker180 Member

yeah, but he's simply describing his experience with them. can't fault him for that.

dave

4. Ascension

Ascension Member

Yep no advertizment for Monte I am not affiliated with him. I came in a sceptic on the mods really changing the character of the Boss pedals that much. Doing the CS-3 and BD-2 changed my mind. While the mods on the others I did were "ok" and helped the pedals . The tones I got with the BD-2 and CS-3 after the mods were STELLAR and eye ( or maybe ear ) opening:AOK !

5. mr. meeks

mr. meeks Member

Just want to add something here. When I got my kits (DS1 Rectifier and BD2 H20) I had basically no soldering experience aside from one class in high school physics, which was about 5 years ago. Having said that, I found Monte's instructions to be very clear and the links on the site really help. He also responds to inquiry emails very quickly. So I encourage people to try doing these mods themselves.

6. sandman

sandman Member

Ascension, did you go for 'opto' or regular mod on CS-3?

7. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I just ordered the BD2 H2O mod kit earlier this week and plan on modding my pedal next week. I'll let you know what I think of it after.

8. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

very cool mods...I had modded my MT-2 and I just put in the Tri-Gain switch mod for it...I wrote it up on another thread...turned a $25 pedal (+ $24 in mods) into a over $200 sounding pedal...perfect-

9. Ascension

Ascension Member

I went with the standard mod and love the pedal with it.

10. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Finished modding my BD2 with the H2O mod this week. The mod itself went smoothly although I had to remove 1 of the caps and put the correct one in as I accidentally installed the wrong one in that spot. The LED did not work so I reinstalled the original one till I get a replacement and skipped the mod that makes the LED brighter because i didn't want to blow the one I had. I installed the new LED correctly it just never came on. I did not contact Monte about this as he states that he tests the LED's before sending them out and doesn't want to hear about it if you blew the supplied one.

The difference in tone with the mod in place is very noticeable. No flubby bass, no weird overtones or raspiness in the OD. The range of OD is excellent. With the gain low it has a hint of breakup with it high I was getting a convincing 'Unchained" tone with a Vintage Tele and my Boogie Blue angel amp. The tone knob is voiced better as well.

All in all I'm very happy I modded my BD2. I bought it used real cheap and for less than a new BD2 I have a wonderful modded one.

11. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I did the standard SD-1 mod and the TS7/TS9 mod (this isn't on the website, but in the information he sent me it's called the TS808 Plus More mod). I'm very happy with both of them. The SD-1 mod was a much more radical change, as it completely threw out that tubescreamer mid hump/bass drop and made it quite transparent. The 808 keeps some of the mids, while bringing up the bass. I tend to favor the SD-1 mostly for slight breakup, and the TS7/9/808 whatever for anything from slight breakup to heavy overdrive (mostly because it's quieter -- the SD-1 gets noisy with the drive cranked). Well worth the money, in my opinion. Very much improved tones. The TS7 was a bit tricky because you really have to take it apart to get at everything -- it's not all on one board like the SD-1. Both are very touch sensative. I can play lightly on the SD-1 and it's clean, and dig in a little and it starts to overdrive. Very impressive mods. Cheap too!

12. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

I went through this. The clear LED needs more voltage to glow (4-5 volts). It won't work unless you do the accompanying resistor change too.

13. Ascension

Ascension Member

I love the BD-2 H2O mod also sweet and transparent. I would think about leaving the LED alone!! I did the super bright clear LED on mine and the thing is BLINDING:crazy ! No joke you can actually use the pedal as a flashlight:eek: ! When you hit the switch you can no longer see the knobs for the glare so I will leave out the LED and just do the resistor change to brighten the stocker on the other BD-2 I have.

14. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

I did the OD-3 kit...as far as the sound is concerned , I'm not sure if I really improved any thing because I think the pedal is kind of OK stock...But I did enjoy fooling with the pedal , so I got a BD-2 , and an SD-1 off Ebay , and I'm going to order the Monte kits for them .

I did one free mod already on the SD-1...I removed one of the clipping diodes and replaced it with a jumper for symetrical clipping...You can definately hear the difference , and I think that I like it .

Chris.

15. gulliver

gulliver Member

I think the TS-9 mod is excellent, and strongly recommend it. Although, I think the stock SD-1 actually sounds better than when modded with the SD-808 mod (sym or Asym). Just my thoughts.