TA-15 Question

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've been contemplating which amp to get this year, and after looking at all the options I was considering, it occurred to me that I hadn't even considered the TA-15. Well, lo and behold, I think it might be the one. With Guitar Center blowing them out, I really don't have an excuse to not try it. I do have a question, though:

Does anyone here use the channels as two different clean pedal platforms? I plan on using channel 1 as a Voxish clean and channel 2 Tweed for a fatter, more Fendery clean, and then investing in a couple nice overdrives for the rest.

Also, what are you guys liking for speakers and cabs? I'm kinda leaning towards a Gold, but man, that's an expensive driver.

Thanks for your input!

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
That is how I run my TA15 - clean on Vox & Tweed ch. use pedals for dirt (most all pots @ noon, but bass @ 11, I play humbuckers & P90's the most). we mic all amps so vol. is not an issue w/headroom. Do spend more time on Tweed than Vox channel, but that is more about the songs in the set list. I use a "27 wide Mesa open back 1X12 w/ the stock Mesa speaker - love the tone - the Vox ch. sounds Voxy, the Tweed ch. is Tweedy sounding. Maybe if you will spend more time in the Vox ch. the gold will work for you. I find the stock Mesa spkr a great match for the voicing's that the TA can deliver, especially in a live mix environment. YMMV.

kiki_90291

I have been going back and forth on how to use the channels on mine. I really like the Hi1 channel for crunch, but I was playing around with the Tweed channel just last night and really do like the clean tones it produces. I may start experimenting a bit more with the Vox channel for amp dirt. That is the beauty of the amp - it is unbelievably versatile (although a bit "option anxiety" inducing at times :) ).

I have two cabs I use with it - one is a Mesa Mini rec 1x12 (closed back with a V30). Really like the portability and I think it handles dirt very well and cleans pretty well (not as good at low volumes, but amazing when you can crank it).

My other cab is an Avatar 2x10 open back with Celestion golds - I haven't used it much lately, because I'm lazy and hauling around the smaller cab is easier. But will be pulling it out again soon to really compare them in a band setting. My recollection is that it sounded absolutely amazing (as in "I'm done - no more amp shopping ever" amazing) with clean/jangly tones and "bit o' hair" tones, but got muddy fast with heavier tones.

If I wasn't so damn lazy, I'd probably use both and get a cab switcher to go between settings.

Last edited:

briwinters

I gig with a TA-15 regularly. I used to use the Voxy top boost mode for cleans and the Hi1 for Marshally grit. A few months ago I started craving more of a Fendery tone and swapped the Hi1 for the Tweed mode setting. Now I pretty much use Tweed 100% of the time as a pedal platformer...set it clean, use boost pedals (Ep_1 and Xotic RC) and dirt pedals (FullTone OCD) to get my grit. At some point I'll probably add the Top Boost back in the mix but for now I'm good.

I use a Mesa Theile 1x12 cabinet live....super portable rig and adds some low end to the tone like a bigger cabinet. Was thinking about swapping for an open backed Mesa cabinet at some point, that will probably inspire me to chase after some Voxier tones.

Lot of players really love the TA-15 as a portable gigable pedal platformer...personally I love being able to toss my live rig into the back of my Mini Cooper.

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, and even if GC ended up selling out, the used price for this amp is in the same ballpark.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I also have an old late 90's Matchless 2X12 cab that I re-wired for 8 ohms - that cab sounds massive with the TA15 - all brit voice there. It's magic with the Vox channel and roars with the tweed. I use that for larger stages when you have to be further away from amp/cab

Flogger59

I use both channels clean as a pedal platform. TB at 15w and Tweed at 25 watts. The TB side sits behind vocals better, and i use Tweed for lead. Open back Mesa V30 cab, augmented with a Thiele C90 for bigger stages. All knobs at noon. With an OD, modulation and delay, this is the best I've ever sounded, and I was the 'tone guy' that put together rigs for some people around here.

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
It's nice to know that other people are having success with using this amp as a pedal platform. It just seems so obvious. :)

If I can find one in a couple weeks for the $499, I'll be JUMPING on it. If I can't, I must say the Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb is awfully tempting, too. No matter what, we have to realize how great it is to be a guitar player right now. We have so many options, and they're all pretty fantastic!

djw

Silver Supporting Member
I got mine on the GC closeout -- amp deal of the decade. I haven't had it long, and I didn't really mean for it to become my main gigging amp... but the more I play it, the more I think it's going to get some stage work.

I'll probably use it as a dual-clean pedal platform. The Tweed setting is terrific, and is obviously voiced for most pedals' sweet spot. I was worried about the Vox side's handling of less-neutral sounding pedals, but so far it seems to handle them just fine. It would be interesting to hear a Bearfoot EGDM through it, as it's supposedly voiced to be run through a Vox/EL84 style amp; it true, it would be like having a footswitchable Top Boost mode in theory.

I have mostly run my TA15 through my 23" Lone Star cab, which is loaded with an ET65, and it sounds awesome, clean and driven. I plug it into my LSS' combo sometimes, which is loaded with a Gold. It obviously sounds great, but I can't honestly say it sounds $225 better than the ET65... seems like a nice-to-have, and I do think about getting another Gold but I just don't think it's critical.

Last edited:

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
...I didn't really mean for it to become my main gigging amp... but the more I play it, the more I think it's going to get some stage work.
That would definitely be a lot easier to transport than your Lone Stars!