Tab and tone for Love to Change the World by Ten Years After

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jerryfan6, Apr 4, 2015.

1. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have the tab, particularly for the solos, of this song? And/or can you recommend what gear(guitar, amp, pedals) to get that awesome tone?

2. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

Don't know the amp but you have the guitar, an ES-335. Try ultimate guitar tabs, there's a 5 star tab for the main riff/verses and a 4 star solo/fills tab. Great song and yeah, killer tone.

3. Franktone

Franktone Member

Your ES-335 through your DRRI and possibly your overdrive pedals should get you close. Sure a Marshall JMP or JCM800 with master volume would probably get you even closer, not that he used master volume to do this, but so you can reduce the volume somewhat. You might even be happy using a RAT pedal to get you close to there. Use the neck pickup on the 335 for the solo. Alvin Lee was a 335 into Marshall kind of guy and he may or may not have used a pedal for that sound on that song. The chords are easy: Em, G, Am, C, B7 essentially. Then build in the little runs on the 6th and 5th strings to tie together the chords. This song has always meant a lot for me and I never get tired of his phrasing.

I have never played it note for note but perhaps a maybe good idea is to listen to him carefully, how he times and sequences the notes that he uses. The solo is truly classic and essential Alvin Lee. You can hear some similar style in I'm Going Home. I think it is more fun just trying to emulate him without doing it note for note where you might lose the feel of doing it.

I think that the solo is played mostly at the 12th position key of E pentatonic mostly and he likely runs up along the 3rd string moving upwards to the 15th position to extend the E-blues solo so he can make his way up to stretching the 1st string "A" with his 3rd finger and stretching it up to B. And of course most of the solo is played right across of the strings at the 12th position. Try to capture his feel and technique rather than learning this note for note. I think that, that is more fun and realistic. But what do I know.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  4. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

How does he get that spaciness to his solo? Reverb? Delay?

5. Franktone

Franktone Member

I haven't listened to the song in a long and the problem is that even if I was to listen to it again, a song like that always sound like a single unified inseparable performance. But, I'd suspect that there just be some subtle delay in there, like some subtle slap back which doesn't stick out there to be too obvious.
    I'd forget the reverb.

6. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

The guitar solo on the studio recorded version is one of the finest in rock history...

E Blues licks improv ....even Alvin never played it the same twice, but like the Stairway to Heaven solo he nailed it on the vinyl version....

As mentioned earlier: Em (E-F-F#) G...(G-G) Am...(A-Bb-B) C ...B7 ....arpeggio and strum

7. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Also remember the vibe....my mjm 60's vibe nails it. Although I guess it was studio flanging on the original

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

Leslie on the chorus vocals.