Tab Benoit thinlines? Difference ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pguitars, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Pguitars

Pguitars Member

I saw a concert of Tab on youtube couple days ago. Great player. He was playing on beat up thinline from the 70's. In his rack he had two more thinlines. But he played only on the beat up one.
    Have those thinlines the same specs as the beat up one? Maple necks? which pickups in all his thinlines??

buddy62 likes this.
  2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Ive played at a few gigs where Tab was on the same bill.. At that time, he used to break a lot of e and b strings. Those others were his backups, but quite frankly, they all sounded about the same.. The Thinlines all looked stock with those widerange humbuckers they used to come with. It's all in the hands.......

Pguitars and mojocaster.com like this.
  3. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

I like Tab. Those Tele Deluxes with the wide range humbuckers, not so much.....
    Sometimes he sounds like he needs a refret.

4. nmontz

nmontz Member

I have a 71' sunburst tele thin line just like tab's. The last time I saw him I asked to see the sunburst tele. The tech let me pick it up for a second. It's neck was identical to mine....and the tech said all three had identical necks and set-ups. Which he said was stock with bigger frets. I've been seeing him live since 94' or so and other than the first few shows where he played a blonde stock 66' tele, the sunburst thin line and a Flying V......he has stuck with the trio of thin lines.....the sunburst, a black and the natural. So other than he always seems to prefer the sunburst.....they have identical setups.

On mine I have a treble bleed mod to give me more use of the volume knob. I took that out last year and the volume knob was unusable and the guitar seemed bassy with a uneven boomy attack. I put it right back. I didn't see that in any of the original schematics....but it sure made my tele more useable. Secondly I had mine refretted with 6100's....lastly since the jack cup kept falling out I added an electro socket jack cup. This may sound silly but the string retainers on mine are not in the standard location. I've experimented with them screwed down, with spacers, and with just one. The different tensions actually changed my attack on the bridge pup. I loved tab's super reverb tone....and have so problem getting that with my 66' super reverb and my thin line. They really sound good with those amps.

Pguitars likes this.
  5. nmontz

nmontz Member

Also once I saw tab's brother play....he used a pair of tele deluxes with ri tele necks on them and played a lot of the same songs tab had in his sets. I forgot to add that I really dig tab's playing and his was the first live blues show I saw in a club when I was 16. I like my nocaster ri much better than my old thinline but the times I use the thinline live it seems to really come alive. Which is I think because I am plugging the guitar into my super reverb...vs little amps around the house.

6. theon

theon Member

It's a shame this man is not mentioned more on TGP.
    Monster player with amazing tone and soulful voice.

nbtrue likes this.
  7. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I can't answer the question, but I will say that Tab Benoit has great tone! Makes me wanna get a vintage Thinline - yeah, I know. It doesn't mean I'll sound like him. That's a lesson I learned from owning a Blackie & 000-28EC, an SRV Strat, a Jeff Beck Strat, a Slash Les Paul, etc.

I've been a fan of Tab's for at least a decade or longer... Not a fan in the fanatic sense, but I really dig his stuff - not all of it, mainly his bluesy playing and that killer tone. I'm from New Orleans and recently returned nearby after being away for 30 years. Tab is pretty big around here. I saw him last year at the Varsity Theater in Baton Rouge - awesome to be in the same room with him!

Sorry to interject with no resolve to the question.

Carry on.

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

9. Pguitars

Pguitars Member

He has also a Gator head on his amps which picks and stuff in his gator-mouth.

10. gmann

gmann Member

The original Wide Range pickups which are in Tab's guitars sound fantastic! The one's in the Reissues not so much, a totally different pup actually.

SnidelyWhiplash and Pguitars like this.