• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

TAB

Jimmy Tango

I'm assuming that this is an ok question to ask since it is individual interpretation rather than copyright infringement. Does anyone have suggestions for a website with accurate tab on the interwebs. Most stuff out there just seems to be endlessly spammed and mostly wrong.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I'm assuming that this is an ok question to ask since it is individual interpretation rather than copyright infringement. Does anyone have suggestions for a website with accurate tab on the interwebs. Most stuff out there just seems to be endlessly spammed and mostly wrong.
musicnotes.com
sheetmusicplus.com

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
Have you tried the app Guitar Tapp? I know it is available for iOS, and I suppose for other systems. I think that I paid around three dollars for the paid version, and it has ratings for the various tabs/chords of songs, scrolls them, and allows you to save them, e-mail them and transpose them. It is really helpful for jams, as everyone literally is on the same page. No association, just a happy customer.

JonR

My solution is to do it yourself. In my experience, internet tab is mostly right - but of course "mostly" is not good enough. Even if a song is 99% correct, you're going to have to fix that 1%. And even when what is there is 99% right (or even 100%!), it's never complete. I like to know the vocal melody for a song, not just the chords and lead guitar parts (I'm not singing, but the vocal helps with improvisation). I like to see the rhythms, the structure, the measures and bar lines. I want intros, outros. If I'm going to have to do all that myself, then I may as well do the tab too.
Even when you pay for the good stuff - the published songbooks, or authentic transcriptions - you may not get everything you need, and you still can't guarantee 100% correctness.

Get a slowdowner and do it yourself. I do often consult net chords and tab, but only as a second opinion, or as somewhere to start from. (You're still technically infringing copyright, of course... if that bothers you, then buy the published songbooks - as well.)

gennation

The closest and most consistent stuff I find is either through the GuitarPro community (GuitarPro is a licensed notation/tab program) or songsterr (which is licensed and associated with GuitarPro somehow). The benefit is there is a community of people creating (mostly) useful tabs and not the basic tabcrawler stuff. Tabs can be fixed and uploaded. It worked good.

If you are learning a lot of tunes you can get the best bang for your buck and save yourself tons of time with these three tools: Transcribe!, GuitarPro, and Songsterr. I am constantly learning new tunes and while a have a pretty good ear these just save me a lot of times getting what I can from resources and then fine tune it by ear with Transcribe when I need to.

Clifford-D

My solution is to do it yourself. In my experience, internet tab is mostly right - but of course "mostly" is not good enough. Even if a song is 99% correct, you're going to have to fix that 1%. And even when what is there is 99% right (or even 100%!), it's never complete. I like to know the vocal melody for a song, not just the chords and lead guitar parts (I'm not singing, but the vocal helps with improvisation). I like to see the rhythms, the structure, the measures and bar lines. I want intros, outros. If I'm going to have to do all that myself, then I may as well do the tab too.
Even when you pay for the good stuff - the published songbooks, or authentic transcriptions - you may not get everything you need, and you still can't guarantee 100% correctness.

Get a slowdowner and do it yourself. I do often consult net chords and tab, but only as a second opinion, or as somewhere to start from. (You're still technically infringing copyright, of course... if that bothers you, then buy the published songbooks - as well.)
Listen to this, he's talking about the most intimate way of learning something. Hands on doing it yourself.
Be your own best teacher, be your own student. And stay out of the waters off North Carolina.

Long2Play

Gold Supporting Member
www.guitarinstructor.com is Hal Leonard direct. Way lower cost than musicnotes or onlinesheetmusic. ($1.29 vs $5.99 per transcription) Good place with reasonable costs. You can even buy an annual subscription for $99.00 that gives you unlimited access to all content.

www.totalsheetmusic.com Alfreds direct. again lower cost than those other two.

I freaking HATE musicnotes.com. fwiw…

The Guitar Pro community on the free tab sites is somewhat usable. it really varies in accuracy and quality. GP6 allows rhythmic notation errors to go unchecked and some of it is unreadable as a result. That app should not allow 3 16th notes and an 1/8 note to be grouped together, but if freaking does….

Seraphine

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Powertab <-- free program for making tab etc

Free-make video and Audio converters <-- also free

Transcribe <--- free a month then worth the cost.. also allows working with some video formats and slowing them down.

Working with sheet music and/or tab is part of what helps as well as working with live video clips of bands.. let alone the ol' standard most of us used... listening to the music and figuring.

Last edited:

thebowl

I usually just google the song name with the word "tab", and it usually takes me to Ultimate guitar.

Trending Topics