Tabs for hire?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by flash6971, May 16, 2011.

1. flash6971

flash6971 Guest

Okay, this might be a weird one, but it might not....

Is there anyone out there who transcribes guitar tab professionally, i.e. for a reasonable fee?

Specifically, I am looking for a Tab for Robben Ford's "Don't Worry 'Bout Me" as it appears on "Soul on Ten." Can't find one, and the guy I take lessons from is having fits trying to nail it (it seems it MIGHT be a bit out of tune... or it might be in an alternate tuning?).

So if anyone knows of a version already out there and can point me to it, I would pay you in gratitude. :p

Otherwise, is this something commonly done?

2. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

There are guys who do this freelance, it's time consuming, so a bit pricey usually. Most of the great ones are working for publishing companies and are busy. Sadly a few of those guys have gotten burned on the independent work and are reluctant to take it on.

3. flash6971

flash6971 Guest

Thanks, Art.

I should probably clarify.... I'm looking for something for "personal use" only, doesn't have to be note-for-note publishable quality. Kinda what you would find on "Ultimate-Guitar.com" or one of the other Tab sites.

I tried to get the guy I took lessons from to figure it out, but he couldn't for some reason (it doesn't really sound like THAT difficult a song). So since I pay him for lessons, you could say I tried to "pay" him to do it. So I figure I could pay someone else the equivalent of a lesson or two to put an hour or so into it and hopefully come up with something I can have fun with.

I'm not a pro. Just love the tune and would like to be able to play it halfway accurately.

THANKS!

4. badger146

badger146 Member

5. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I hear ya, most of these guys--if good--do note for note. It's precision business, so while they may not be 100%, they have that mentality, at least the good ones do. Sometimes that hard for outsiders to get.

I took a quick listen on youtube, it sounds like it's way from concert pitch, that's for sure, but easily "corrected" in an audio editor. Some of the chord voicings sound like grips, but some do not, so it involves a closer look. If there is a alternate tuning, figuring it out is truly half the battle.

6. Samsun19

Samsun19 Member

I just had quick listen....

Its out 50 cents, or 1/4....

If you drop the song down .50 cents in ASD or whatever you use...

The First couple chords are....

B

G#m7

Or you could go up .50 cents, and then it would be C, Am7

That should help your teacher figure it out....

If not, and your interested, you can PM me for a hire.

Best,

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  7. 55bar

55bar Member

I could probably help, i have some transcriptions on Drew zingg's website and Ian Bairnson's if you want to check them out. Private message me if you are interested.

Rgds

Craig

8. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

I have done it a little bit for pop songs, I just youtube your song and it seems like it would take some time which equals $$'s

9. flash6971

flash6971 Guest

This was a HUGE help! Thanks! I'm already hacking through a verse or two on my own....

I will work on this over the next couple of days and then talk to you by PM. Probably ask you for some help on some of the details. And, of course... compensate you accordingly!

I really appreciate this.

10. senseofrelief

senseofrelief Senior Member

Might be a nice little biz If I was on a beach somewhere...

Deciphering music really can be chore...I totally get the idea of just paying for it, rather then trying to figure it out.

11. Samsun19

Samsun19 Member

A chore? Personally, I find it satisfying, as one would solving puzzles. The harder it is to solve the more gratifying, when I do. That said, it is a very large part of my profession as guitar teacher, and I do need to be paid for my time. But the beach wouldn't hurt ;)

Flash, glad to hear you are hacking away! I am always encouraging my students to try to figure things out by ear. IMO, It's all about the ear. Let me know if you get stuck...

12. Phreekfuse

Phreekfuse Member