Tacoma Acoustic Guitars

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Lost_Cause, May 4, 2015.

1. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

I have had my first Tacoma acoustic for over a year (a JR55 with a Fender factory refin). I also have a DM9 that I found last fall. From a price and bling standpoint these could not be more different. The DM9 was the low end and the JR55 was top of the line. From the perspective of sound and playing they are equally amazing. I was fortunate to find both. Nothing is absolute but I will be surprised if I find any acoustics that are more perfect for me.

If you have a chance to try or buy one they come highly recommended.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1, key detail being "with a Fender factory refin"!

all too many of the gloss finished versions had a major problem where the finish separated from the wood in big sheets; fender had acquired the company and was honoring the lifetime warranty for fixing the finish, but after a while they gave up on it (the company is still shuttered).

really a shame, because tacomas were great guitars otherwise, all-solid USA-made with a big clear tone.

3. DanR

DanR Member

I had a DM9 that I really liked alot. I had it for less than a week cuz my divorce lawyer wanted a lot of cash up front so I had to take the guitar back :(

4. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

The JR55 was still new at the shop I bought it at. They had it refinished by fender way back. It is a most beautiful guitar. My pictures don't do it justice or I would post some. I believe that it has a nitrocellulose finish. The DM9 has a satin finish and thankfully those do not have the Tacomaitis (finish issue). I have heard it is not prevalent on the DM9 but it can happen.

5. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I had a Tacoma (I think it was an emc19) Great guitar. Finish started bubbling and sent it in. They fixed it. I ended up selling it a year or so later and still regret it.

6. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

I have a pre Fender DF21 that has some bubbling on the headstock and a spot at the neck joint. I was going to send it in for repair but at that time Fender wouldn't refinish the guitar, they would replace it with a foreign made Guild. I just decided to let it be.