TAD 6V6 STR select premium tube

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Reviews' started by candid_x, Nov 17, 2016.

1. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

New production tubes have left me wanting and even my favorite 6V6's drift, ping and rattle too quickly and too often. I was surprised when my Louis Electric Columbia Reverb came loaded with EH with a Sovtek 5AR4. EH has been my least favorite glass. Though they work fine in most positions in the preamp section of this amp, their grind and grit was not my cup of tea in V1 or as output tubes. New sets of Tung Sol (my used-to-be favorite new production) have been so inconsistent and have drifted into oblivion in short order. JJ 6V6's sound quite good but not what I'd call sweet sounding, and have experienced inside the glass rattles in combo amps prior, though not in my last set, which I've stashed.

Enter TAD STR. I've tried the 6L6 STR (this amp uses either) and was very satisfied but long for the 6V6 qualities. When I learned that TAD released their version, designed to be reminiscent of the old RCA and GE but built to handle modern power supply and high plate voltage, I had to try them. I'm here to say I've never been happier with a new 6V6GT, nor has any new offering come close to its full dynamic range and overall sweetness. Bottoms are surprisingly big and tight, highs are bright, and mids are plump and juicy. It took a couple hours to burn them in, even though the select premiums are thoroughly tested.

I've also reached the same conclusion for their 7025 for V1.

All three TADs mentioned still have to pass the test of time in this amp, but so far I give them a thumbs up, particularly their new 6V6GT. Exception being their 6L6STR and 7025, which have been going strong in my Richter RS-33 for well over a year. I'm hoping their 6V6GT hold up as well.

Also, I've been very happy with Antique Electronic Supply's customer service. I don't mind paying a little sales tax to my own state of AZ. They've been great.

2. guitar007

guitar007 Member

Thanks for the review. I'll check them out when I need to get a few more.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    candid_x likes this.
  3. 1moreknob

1moreknob Supporting Member

I've got a set for my Deluxe reverb. Gonna have to put them in now
    Great review

candid_x likes this.
  4. candid_x

Thanks. I hope you share your impression. As already mentioned, they did take awhile to more thoroughly burn in.

5. Wino67

Wino67 Member

Are you still digging the TADs? I recently had an email convo with Kelly at Swart re some tube replacements for my Swart 6v6se. He spoke very highly of the tads. I was just wondering if you're as pleased with them now that some time has passed. Thanks.

6. Mojo Shinn

Mojo Shinn Supporting Member

I've come to the same conclusion regarding 6V6 tubes... I've tried many different new production tubes in my Swarts and Nolatone amps. My favorites are the TADs. They sound great and last a long time... even when run hot in a single ended amp like the Swart STR.

7. candid_x

I'm very pleased with the TAD 6V6, still running the same pair. What I did change was the 7025 TAD I had in V1, though I like them in other positions, and in my Richter with TAD 6L6's. The TAD 6V6's with a 7025 in V1 was too clear, bordering on sterile. I tried a JJ in V1 for awhile but it didn't last long, so chose to go ahead a pop a barely used Tung Sol in there, and it sounds great. Just hope it lasts. But, yeah, totally happy with the 6V6 TAD.

8. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

What is the plate voltage in your amp? The only tube I've found that holds up to the 420+VDC found in a lot of 6V6 amps is the JJ. Having another option would be nice.

9. candid_x

Don't know who you're asking but My Louis Columbia is around 440+V as I recall.

10. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

Was asking you actually. I should have been clearer. Most of the Deluxe Reverb RI's I have worked on have been in the 430 range.

Thanks for your input!