TAD 7025/E83CC Highgrade?? 12ax7a

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Axemeister, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I have seen these sold and mentioned a few places. I assume that they are relabeled tubes from some other source. Does anyone have info on these?

[​IMG]

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Judging from the pic on their site its just a high priced JJ ECC83S. If I wanted a JJ I'd just buy one at 1/2 the price. Bob

[​IMG]

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It's funny when current manufacturers put the "premium" version number on a tube that doesn't even meet the "pedestrian" version specs.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

TAD tests the tubes before they sell them, so the quality is usually better than just buying a random JJ (which has a good chance of coming already microphonic)

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Funny and sad.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Maybe but any decent tube vendor "tests" them. Besides if theres one thing the JJ ECC83s isnt its microphonic-at least from my experiences with them. Bob

7. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

A guy might want to pay attention to Blue Strat's advice,seeing how he sells LOTS of tubes.
    That 'premium' label is misleading,but what isn't these days?I found out recently that TAD tubes are made in either china or Russia.That is not necessarilly a bad thing,it's just for your information.The TAD 6L6WGC STR long bottles are made in Russia and the short bottles are made in China.
    I really like the sound and quality of both tubes and use them in all my amps.As with any new production tube these days you take your chances.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I thought they were all made in China.

I'm not an "offshoring" kinda guy, since there's no tube making jobs being lost in the US, why would you want to build a product in a country that has no expertise (any longer) in building that product when you can build it in a country where there's lots of expertise? ;)

9. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

TAD 7025 doesn't look to be a JJ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Did you see the photo above? Sure looks like the JJ.

Evidently, TAD sells tubes from multiple origins. It seemed like everything they were selling in the US was from China and stuff they sold to Europe could be from other places as well. Not sure if that pattern is still holding true.

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

That pic isnt that good. This one definately is a JJ. Bob

[​IMG]

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Maybe the TAD/JJs actually pass gain/transconductance specs unlike the 60 out of the last 100 I tested. For all that aggravation, time and shipping expense, I'd want extra compensation too. Instead, I just stopped carrying them.

13. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Ok, let's sort this out. First, the TAD 6L6WGC's are the short not the long bottles which are the 6L6GC-STR's, and both are made by Shuguang in china.

14. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 Member

I have said it here a dozen times. I DO NOT NOR WILL I EVER USE JJ AGAIN! I have had nothing but trouble with them. ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!! End rant.

I have nothing but good to say about TAD however. Their 6l6wgc are almost a dead on match to the old GE's. :)

15. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Huh...I've been using JJ's for years, and have never had any issues...I do buy them from Euro Tubes, and they are tested before they are sold....

16. cap47

cap47 Member

I have used the TAD 7025 Highgrade and I don't think it sounds or looks like a jj. I am well pleased with it. Makes a good spare for my ANOS RCAs. I like it myself for a new production tube. I have used in V1 of my VK112.

17. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 Member

That's good to hear. I wish my luck with them was better. I have a plastic container with about a dozen "NEW" microphonic ecc83's in the basement. All from guys who retubed their amp with JJ's. Don't even get me started on their GZ34's :puh

18. plexi67

plexi67 Member

i ordered and tried quite a few TAD 7025s, they were so bad i sent them back for a refund. The TAD 6L6s i have used have been great tubes.

19. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Maybe those guys should have ordered their JJ's from a seller that tests them, instead of buying them from Musician's Friend or the like!

Personally I think the JJ ECC83's are too bland sounding, but if I were to buy some again I would definitely get them from a seller who tests.

Al

20. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 Member

Actually there is no place here to buy JJ's "over the counter". These guys have been getting them from very big "reputable dealers" online. However I can't see dealers testing for microphonics. Maybe I am wrong though.