TAD mustard caps

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by sampleinajar, Oct 6, 2006.

1. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the scoop is on the TAD "mustard" caps? How do they compare with Sozos and Mallory 150s? I was just getting ready to try out the Sozos, but then saw that these are available through Mojotone.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

They work better if you store them in an old Frenches jar. ;)

3. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

That's a good one. :rotflmao I e-mailed with Greg G. and he says he can hear a difference with the TADs compared to Mallorys. So, I guess I'll try them in all the usual places. Curious about the Sozo "vintage" or whatever mumbo-jumbo they're calling them. So many caps, so little time.....

Just kidding. I am not that lame.

Steve

4. seyfert

seyfert Member

5. Roe

Roe Member

the tad mustards are good. greg germino prefers them over the sozos (presumably the standards). others (larry of larry amps) prefer the sozo premiums over the tads.
    I have tried both and have not heard much of difference although I haven't a b tested them.

6. kindburro

kindburro Member

FWIW......I have used all three brands of tone caps mentioned. Around fall last year I switched over to using the Sozo's after using the TAD's for about a year or more. Reason......well first hand the TAD .1uf is a 600v cap and larger than the original Phillip's mustard cap @ 400v, where the Sozo's are pretty much exact in size. In truth I experimented with the Sozo's several times and there are several amps of mine out there with these caps in them. May be a surprise for some owner who opens the amp up to see them. Really the only way you know something works and works well is to put the part in question into mutiple production pieces and see what the results are long term. I experimented with the Mallory 150's again, the Sozo's and TAD's for several months and ended up preferring the Sozo's.
    There is a big difference in sound between them and the Mallory's, especially revealing with 6L6/KT-66 tube types. Sound differnce between the Sozo and the TAD were similar but I felt the Sozo's did a better job capturing the "old school" crunch vibe associated with the old Marshall amps. The sizing was big factor as well. I am very pleased with them and they have been in use in all builds for over 6 months, perhaps a bit longer.
    Great product and glad that John Gaynor has made these available.

And...these are the standard Sozo line I am referring to.

Best to all,
    Greg Germino

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  7. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Greg-

Thanks for the update.....I may be calling you about an 'update' on my lead55.

Thanks man,

Steve

PS - The JJ 6v6's are rather surprising in the L55...LOTS of headroom.

Steve

8. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

try Brimar 6V6s in your Lead 55 LV. MUCH MUCH nicer than JJs....all the tone of EL34s and less volume...I just couldn't bnd with the JJs. They seemed clangy and harsh in my Club 40 as well. But the Brimars are smoooooothhhh.

I just got an R7 VOS goldtop used, and it absolutely kills through the Lead 55 LV and the Club 40 into a 4x12. Unreal...stock pickups too!

Germino makes the best amps. A very satisfied customer!!!

9. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Thanks Dewman..I don't think the Brimar's can handle my plate voltage (485V), or can they? I am dialed back on a Variac right now, mostly because I'm chicken to hit even the JJ's with that kind of voltage. so I am at about 436V on the plates (running the amp down 10% on the wall voltage, and assuming the plate V scales linearly). My Germino 1x12 cab is showing up today, so I amthinking I may put the 34's back in the amp and go with the 1x12 combo set-up. Could be just about right.

Steve

10. Roe

Roe Member

thanks to greg - I really appreciate his opinion. If larry and greg agrees, they must be right :D

11. Roe

Roe Member

BTW John Gaynor recommends the premium line for JTMs and Vox amps

12. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I am not sure about their voltage handling capabilities. The JJs are sort of repackaged 6L6s to my ears. They sound nothing like EH or any other modern 6V6 reissues. Mike K from KCA NOS tubes wold know about the voltages the Brimasr can take. My amp doesnt get anywhere near those plate voltages, so I have no worries. And I push mine hard!!