TAF A-1987x is such a joy to play - with clip

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by journo, Mar 19, 2015.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I needed something slow to play to when doing rehab for my hand so I wrote this tune and once again I found absolute joy in Andy's excellent Marshall 1987x profile. Andy has managed to make a profile that, to me, sounds better on a recording than anything I have ever been able to record. Thanks Andy!

Here's the tune. I hope you enjoy it!

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/bt-king/assumed-significance[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Cheers,

Mats N

2. Electric I

Electric I Member

Sounds great, Mats. Hope your recovery is coming along as expected.

3. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Great sound!!!, happy recovery Mats.

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    That is a beautiful melody! Well played! And that amp tone! Holy cow! I love it!
    If that came from a Kemper, that is exactly the tone I am looking for from a Marshall profile!. Dayam!

5. journo

journo Member

Thanks for lending your ear and the well wishes. Recovery is slow but it's there and as long as I can play at all, I'm grateful.

Cheers,

Mats N

6. journo

journo Member

Thanks Nicolas! Rehab is boring but the doc says playing guitars and keyboard is excellent rehab. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

7. journo

journo Member

Hi C-4,

Thanks for the kind words.
    Yes, that sound is all Kemper and I love it too and use it all the time. Always first point of call whenever a tune requires a Marshall type sound. I can do a lot with just the eq but can do very versatile with a graphic eq in stomp D.

Cheers,

Mats N

8. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

9. journo

journo Member

Thanks Mr Evil!

Cheers,

Mats N

10. Lance Konnerth

Lance Konnerth Member

Sounds great!!! Best wishes for your recovery. Music is great therapy :)

11. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Member

Mats:

I hope your rehab goes well.

I was really loving the tune - it has that New Wave/New Romantic style song vibe (like it taken straight from a John Hughes movie like 16 Candles or Breakfast Club). And as much as I dug the guitar tone/profile as a "tone" (I have those profiles as well) and not to be critical, I felt it didn't really fit the tune stylistically. Again, there are no right or wrongs when it comes to matching a tone to a song and also, why use a cliche sound that has been used in the past, right?, but I probably would have chosen something different. Probably a Jazz Chorus amp with a DS-1 - something solid state, bright that cuts, although the clean guitar does that. Actually, now that I think about it, I would have played a synth solo.

Anyway, great song!

12. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Novice players please take note of this song. Great example of using recurring themes and motifs, with a nice crescendo in the middle, to give form and space. So much better than the random noodling that too often passes as soloing.

13. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Lovely, Mats! Thanks.

jon

14. DwightX

DwightX Member

Tastier than strawberries with whipped cream on top!! Wonderful playing Mats!

15. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

I have to agree on the TAF 1987x profiles. They are definitely my favorite Marshall style profiles along with the hot rodded JCM800 profiles. I personally only do lower gain sounds and the 1987x is fantastic at this, surprisingly so is the Hot Rodded JCM800, just a little tighter. If you haven't tried that one, do it.

16. journo

journo Member

Just got home from the doctor's office. Everything is going according to plan albeit a bit slow.

You have some very interesting comments about tone and "tradition". I am very much a "victim" of the 80's and loved the Brat Pack films. The clean, wide and trichorused sounds is still a thing I love and that's very much reflected in this tune as you point out. However, I never got along with the Jazz Chorus with OD/dist pedal infront that was so popular i those days. During the 80s I played a Boogie IIc with loads of overdirve so should I ahve been tru to myself as I was at that time, then I think I would have sounded a bit between Santana and early Lukather.

But I age and I am the sum of my experiences so this is how it turned out. I do appreciate your comments as it gave me a reason to take a trip down memory lane.

Cheers,

Mats N

17. journo

journo Member

Hi Michael,

To be held up as an example for others to learn from is a high form of praise so I thank you for this.

Cheers,

Mats N

18. journo

journo Member

Thanks Lance!
    The doctor told me today that he wished he had more patients who played an instrument as our motivation to get better and do rehab is of an magnitude higher than those who don't play.

Cheers,

Mats N

19. journo

journo Member

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your continuing support. I can always count on you for a kind word.

Cheers,

Mats N

20. journo

journo Member

Hi Dwight,

Seeing that strawberries with whipped cream is my favorite desert, I consider this a great compliment. Thank you!

Cheers,

Mats N