Tail piece make a big difference?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by silencer eleven, Sep 11, 2008.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

I have a vintage Hagstrom swede and I was wondering if a new high quality tail piece would make a big difference?

2. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

Some more info on what differences you want will help you get an answer.

3. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Oh ok, will it give me better sustain? Stay in tune better? A punchier sound? How does it generally affect the tone of a guitar?

4. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

On my Les Paul, which I think is the same set-up as the Hagstrom (seperate bridge and tailpiece) I switched from the standard tailpiece to a lightweight aluminum tail piece and the change was enormous.

In words, the sound was more open, percussive, lively sounding. When I tried it with the original tailpiece again, to see if it really made a difference, the guitar sounded dull and lifeless.

Also, my LP has an ABR-1 bridge, and (per mapleflame on the LPForum) I changed the standard bridge posts to stainless steel, and it made a big difference also. This change improved the resonance and sustain in a very pleasant way.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes to you on your tonequest. Ley us know what you decide, and how it works out for you.

5. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Ant riv, where did you purchase your tail piece? What metals do you prefer? Titanium? Aluminum? Stainless Steel? Will I have a hard time finding something that fits my hagstrom?

6. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

It seems like pigtail are pretty good, you guys recommend them?

7. soulohio

soulohio Member

I will be finding out shortly...I am having the Allparts (or was it StewMac) lightweight tailpiece installed on my Tokai Le Paul. I believe the tailpiece, bushings and posts was about $45 usd in nickel.

8. jasonlee77

jasonlee77 Member

Anyone know Lightweight Nickel tailpiece and lightweight aluminum tail piece which one sound better and had more vintage tone?? and which brand good???

thx a lot

9. jasonlee77

jasonlee77 Member