Takamine F-395 MS 12-String

scottrolf

I just took this out of retirement from being in its case for 9 years solid. It has moved from Nevada to Colorado to Montana to California without once being taken out and played. I've been into my electrics and just kind of forgot about it.

I was amazed that it was nearly in perfect tune still. So I removed all of the strings, polished the frets and dressed the fretboard. Also blew out the dust bunnies and gave it a nice polish job. The neck is still arrow straight and the action nice and low right where I left it. This was made in 1977 and damn near looks mint.

I have tuned it to a "D" and have been letting it "rest" for a few days before taking it back up to an "E" tuning. Using Elixer lights BTW.

My question is, given the age should I expect the glue bond between the bridge and body to be any less strong now?

B. Howard

Gold Supporting Member
As long as it was not exposed to conditions such as high temps or severe dampness it should be fine. If it was still near pitch after all these years it is likely good to go. If the bridge was going to come off it would have popped in the case at some point over all those years being under tension.

oldlefty

I recently took my Takamine 340 out of its case for the first time in over a year and found it in almost perfect tune- surprised me too!

scottrolf

Thanks for the input. I'll take it up and see what happens.
In retrospect had I known that it would have remained in its case for that long I would have taken the tension off of the strings.
Sure does "sing". I had forgotten how beautiful it sounds. Although I'm sure the additional aging of the wood helped too.