1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Take it to the shop? Or learn and try and fix it myself?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by elooong, May 15, 2011.

1. elooong

elooong Member

After recently buying an all Warmoth guitar, it's made me realize that the Yamaha aes 820 that I own, buried in my closet in its hard-case, is worth repairing for sale in order to fund FX. It's a guitar that i haven't really played in years, but has potential. I would like to try to make the repair by myself, but if I feel that I if can't do a quality job than I should just take it to a shop.

If possible i'd at least like to give it a try.. However, some of the notation on the wiring diagram is confusing me. (specifically the labeling of wires.)

First, do you guys think that this is something that i should attempt by byself? I'm looking at it as a good enough place as any to start to know more about guitars.

Second, In reference to the notations of the following wires: Can any of you identify what some of these might stand for to help me out in the identification process?

I understand that WH+BL(from front pickup) probably stands for white and black, that RE stands for red, and that GR stands for green, but what could BE(from rotary switch) be referring to?

Three, What would "Bare Wire" in the reference literature refer to? I'm looking at the wires of the guitar and I don't see any "bare" wires?

Here is the problem. I have 3 wires that have come loose in the wiring of my guitar.

One of the loose wires is a red wire coming from the Rotary Switch of the guitar.

Another loose red wire is coming from a larger brown wire (this wire slits into several different colored wires)

The third wire is a black wire coming from my Neck Volume Pickup Control.

As someone new to taking a closer look at the electronics and wiring of guitars, I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

2. elooong

elooong Member

3. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

do it yourself. you can't hurt electronics too bad and they can always be replaced. bare wires are usually grounds. a picture of the cavity would help people help you a lot. im not familiar with the yamaha rotary so i'll bow out on that one.

4. elooong

elooong Member

I'll try to get the wiring diagram and a photo of my cavity later today, no camera on hand at the present moment

5. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

btw, the BE should stand for blue

6. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

Words of wisdom!!

7. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Are you good at working with small and or delicate stuff without breaking it, scratching it or loosing parts? Guitars are VERY easy objects to mess up. I spend more repair time fixing what other people previously tried to "fix" than I do repairing natural wear & damage.
    If you are good with small stuff & like a challenge, fix 'em yourself, starting with relative cheapos. Do all your research & figure out how to do it first. Ask questions here, look things up in books & on the net, get you tools together & go to it. Don't dive in until you are pretty clear about the task at hand.
    That's how I learned & am still learning.
    If you are a klutz with sensitive stuff & don't have pretty good mechanical sense you might be better off hiring out guitar jobs.

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Wiring I taught myself to do despite zero electronics background and have never been unable to complete a project reasonably easily. If you do mods at all, pickup swaps or whatever, it's a huge help to be able to do them yourself. Saves money, obviously, also time of going to and from a shop, and just not having the guitar when it's at the shop, which at some places can be a pretty long time. If can do it yourself, you're much more likely to do it at all.

Any thing involving altering wood I avoid doing myself as I'm not the most careful person in the world and mistakes there might not be so easy to fix.

9. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Do you have any soldering experience? While it's not rocket science, those who don't know what they are doing can really mess stuff up. If you don't have any experience, read up on the subject and practice on something else before tackling the guitar.

10. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

Learn to Solder Kit

I'm going to get one of those before I try to do any soldering on a guitar.