1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Take the "plexi" challenge!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, Jun 29, 2005.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I'm sure there are a few people on this post with the means to get all or most of the plexi clones out there together in a shootout with the new Marshall 1959HW. The amps would be 100 watts & 4 inputs.

Here are a few of my suggestions.

Blockhead BLK100
    Bruno Pony 100
    Germino Headroom 100

Feel free to add to this list and please, one of you guys make this happen. Inquiring minds want to know......:D

2. Swarty

Swarty Member

How about adding a legit plexi or 2 to the list?

3. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

If we can get one to the Tampa Tonefest this summer, we'll have plenty of originals and boutiques to compare to.....

4. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

The reason I left out a original plexi is because they vary so much in tone do to changes in resistors, caps, etc.

My purpose here is to find the very best sounding plexi available today. An amp that can be used in the real world. If lost, stolen or damaged can be replaced with an amp that is exactly like it.

A really nice sounding original would be cool for comparison though.

5. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

sooo...what is a nice sounding Plexi?

Which one is the good one and to who's ears?

Not being a wise ass but I'm still trying to figure that one out myself??????????????

Mark:D :) :cool:

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I can give one example of a bad one - the one on the NYC Tonefest DVD that had the octave like ghosting in the upper registers.... Mikey no likey .... in the low registers, though, I thought it sounded killer.

As long as we get a bunch of 'em, everyone can decide which ones they like!

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

8. vanborgen

vanborgen Member

As a dyed in the wool Germino lover, I'm a little biased....but, I did notice that IPlayHamers did not include the Mojave Peacemaker. While I agree this amp is not meant to be a "reissue" of the original plexi circuit, it is meant to reproduce many of those tones, and I'd be interested to see/hear how it measures up to these other outstanding amps....and a good example of an original plexi, for that matter!!

:dude

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The question becomes "Who has a Marshall 1959HW?". Haven't seen a review here yet ....

10. JTM100

JTM100 Member

The 100w plexi era from 1965 to 1969 went thru alot of changes. You want to compare plexi clones, what era plexi are they based on? They will all sound different if they are based on different era circuits. And like the originals, it will be a matter of personal taste. Some people prefer the bassier, less gainy , more Fenderish tone of the JTM45/100 while others prefer the brighter, ganier and more aggressive sound of the late JMP's. Plus, I have played thru many different Marshall clones that were of the same make and model, but sounded very different from amp to amp. As far as the HW 100 goes, has Marshall sold any of these at all? You never hear about anyone getting one nor do you hear of one being for sale. I believe that they are available in the UK but I dont know about the U.S.

11. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I've always been curious about Plexi's because they're mentioned a lot, and I know many famous classic artists used them. It's just hard to find even a plexi clone up here. I'm also interested by the new Marshall HW series. I probably wouldn't get one if I was looking for a plexi clone. It would be interesting to see if the plexi clones beat out the Marshall considering Marshall was the Plexi maker, and should have records and the huge resources to find good original plexis and copy them.

12. dumb donnie

dumb donnie Member

Yeah, what is the deal with the Marshall HW 100w heads? I haven't heard anything from anyone who owns one.

13. RGN

RGN Member

What about Tattoo?

14. DannyDay

DannyDay Member

15. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

That amp was Chi's '68 50-watt, and what you were hearing was cone cry from the original 20-watt Celestions. The amp itself sounded superb. The other Marshall on the DVD is my 50-watt, and didn't have nearly as much warmth and richness as Chi's. Of course, it would have been a better comparison to have played both amps through the same cabinet/speakers. Maybe next time. Tom

16. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

My bad on the Mojave. It definately needs to be part of the shootout.

17. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I'd like to hear it. I've got a guy at a local store looking out for one. I assume they'll vary in sound and quality just like the other Marshall HW amps.

I don't think they'll sound that different. The 1959HW is supposed to be modeled after 2 really nice sounding originals owned by Marshall.

Modern manufacturing technology has allowed companies to stay within very strict tolerances when it comes to components. So, while they may vary slightly, it won't be as drastic as the originals.

18. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

price on the 1959HW is????

19. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Aiken Invader/Intruder running in Plexi mode

20. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are