1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

taking a sample from a CD?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by docmh, May 22, 2011.

1. docmh

docmh Member

I made a CD that I'd like to take guitar solo excerpts from to play on the sound clips thread. Is there a program or a way I can do that on my PC?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I haven't used it, but it looks like Audacity would do it.

3. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Audacity would do that just fine.

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Mac or PC?

Any program that plays music can rip (go from CD to computer-friendly audio) but the editing's a bit more specialized. Audacity is a great audio editor. I use Sound Studio on my Mac, and it's been a great program for dealing with stereo or mono tracks. I actually use it to record most of what I do (I'm a solo player,) and for that, it's much easier even than GarageBand (Mac) or Sonar (which I used for years on a PC.) It's comparable to Sound Forge on a PC, although I don't think it's quite as full featured. (Do they even make Sound Forge anymore?)

Anyway, a search for "audio editor" should lead you to a great pile of results.

5. docmh

docmh Member

PC. Thanks for the info.