taking apart a bolt-on for traveling?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by brad347, Apr 30, 2008.

1. brad347

brad347 Member

Hey guys. I have to travel soon and by necessity I have to travel sort-of light. I'm also flying out of LaGuardia in NYC, and as many New Yorkers know, they won't even let you get instruments past the security checkpoint anymore... NOTHING gets carried on, even in soft cases. They made a friend check his bass in a soft gig bag about a year ago.

I have an anvil case for one of my guitars but for reasons too complex to go into here, it will be too bulky to actually make it to the airport with me.

What are the dangers/drawbacks of taking, say, my Tokai strat or G&L asat and unbolting the neck from the body, reassembling with a fresh pack of strings at my new location? I could then carry on the guitar body or neck (or maybe even both) in a carryon suitcase packed with clothes all around it, as it would be under the 38" length limit.

Both guitars have recently been set up. The G&L has a 3-bolt with a micro-tilt, the Tokai has your standard 4-bolt, 5 springs on the vibrato set to keep the bridge flat. I think there may or may not be a shim in the neck pocket, not sure.

I'm wondering how drastically, if at all, this might affect the setup of either guitar when I put it back together, assuming all neck bolts are fully snug right now and nothing else changes during the flight.

Any input/advice would be welcomed!

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

I did the same thing in January on the way to a gig with "The Lion King" in Mexico City; Disney wouldn't pay to have the guitar shipped, so I put it in a bag and checked it. The body and neck were wrapped in clothing, and came through without a problem. It took ten minutes to string and check out the guitar, and it was fine for the month-long run.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

thanks, that's encouraging.

Right now it's between this and buying a $99 Squier Bullet and getting it shipped there from MF. :D

Gotta love the world of disposable guitars!

4. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

how many times can you remove a bolt on neck before the wood gets stripped??

5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

The answer is "three"

[​IMG]

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

1,000 times (GRIN) Seriously, if you're careful about it, you should be able to do it zillionss of times with no significant probs.

I think that's agreat solution for travelling. Make sure when you put the neck back on to align the strings so they're in the center of the neck, equidistant from the edge of the neck both on high and low strings.

Good Luck, Dana O.

7. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

It's pretty much what I do when I travel - take the neck off my Tele and wrap it and the body in bubble wrap. I can then fold the Kaces gig bag in half and secure it with a bungie-tie. That neat little package (with handle) fits easily in the overhead bin.

jb

8. tone4days

tone4days Member

i have tried unsuccessfully to investigate getting threaded inserts for the body and replace the wood screws with machine screws so as to make it repeatable without ripping into wood each time

i know famous guys have done this (kirchen, maybe?) ... i just cant find the right size threaded inserts

anyone ever try this? care to share pointers on sourcing parts or getting it done right?

t4d

9. brad347

brad347 Member

I think Vintique makes them. I hear he can be a little slow with customer service though. I actually met the vintique dude the other day on accident, real cool guy.

thanks everyone for the advice, this sounds like the way to go.

I'll make sure when putting the screws back in to try and slowly put them in the first few turns so they hook into the 'threads' already created in the wood.

The neck pocket on the G&L is a nice snug fit so that one might be the way to go. Great idea on the gig bag strategy!

10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I had a Modulus graphite strat neck that had threaded inserts. It was a pain finding the correct length screw, I had to cut my own. Something very similar to this. http://www.onyxforgeguitars.com/Insert kit.html

11. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

That used to be what Jerry Donahue did with his Tele--inserts and all.

12. tone4days

tone4days Member

thanks florida sam
    exactly what i was looking for!

and, embarrassingly, i meant, inserts for the 'neck', not 'body'

t4d

13. brad347

brad347 Member

I wonder how those inserts would change the tone, if at all?

14. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

They supposedly make it sound better with more sustain. Could be placebo effect though. I did like it on my Modulus (only way it could work on graphite) Very clean and precise attachment.

15. 57paf

57paf Member

16. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I use inserts but I use them on a cheap guitar so I'm not too worried about how they effect the tone. I also put a tight capo high on the neck so I don't have to re-string. Works great!!