Taking apart a Marhsall 4140 combo

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by RUSHFANnLV, Aug 2, 2006.

1. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

Ok. Let me just say right off the bat that I am a real moron when it comes to anything like this. I mean, I've had a few successes here and there but I'm just not mechanically inclined. I pretty much let the pros do everything for me from guitar related repairs to working on my car. But this one seems too easy for me to take to a tech and I really want to be able to maintain my own stuff.

I need to get to the fuses in my amp. Do I just take the four screws out of the top of the amp that hold the chassis in place? Is there more to it than that? Will the whole assembly then come out?

This is where I need to be
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Yes ,you just need to take the four screws out.Be careful when removing the chassis.there is some shielding in the top of the amp cab and they sometimes get hung up on the edge of that.

3. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

Right on, thanks.

4. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Hopefully not too late to be of any use, but the chassis weighs a fair amount. Removing it while the amp is upright leaves you trying to hold the chassis off the speaker while you get the last screw.

Much easier if you lay the amp on the bench/floor face down and then pull the screws. The chassis will lift right out (though in many of these the tolex likes to snag on the sides... just wiggle it free)

5. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

Not too late and I appreciate the advice. You guys are always so cool here. Thanks soooo much. I'm going to do it tonight.

The amp just wouldn't turn on one day so I checked the main fuse (with a meter) and it was fine. I'm hoping it's one of the fuse inside and not the switch.

Dumb question but if I have to replace a fuse, I just use regular Buss fuses from like home depot right? Just match up the amps and I'm good?