• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Taking great amps for granted

ferrinbonn

I've had my Friedman since April or May and sold my Blackstar, which I liked quite a lot. Still love my Friedman, but I'm not blown away by it on a daily basis anymore like I was when I first got it.

Kinda got me wondering, but then I went and tried a few other amps, and it quickly made me realize how much I love and need to appreciate my Friedman.

Moral of the story is, I think you get used to great tone when you have a great amp and it's easy to start taking it for granted. I guess I just needed to level set again.

Anybody else find this happen to them? I'm guessing this is the root cause of a lot of GAS, and people unloading great amps just because they've become accustomed to the sound.

illini

I think there is a lot of truth to your self observation, but it doesn't start nor end with guitar amps. We do it with everything we like but don't have.
I have had the same experience of going to a music store to play other gear, and it just made me appreciate more what I already own.

ferrinbonn

Tell me about it, I have 5 or 6 really good amps, and I still find myself wanting others!! TGP doesn't help matters...
Yeah, it really doesn't. But I don't think it was that so much for me. I think I just got used to the tone and feel of the amp and didn't remember how great it was until comparing to something that wasn't at that level.

Papanate

and people unloading great amps just because they've become accustomed to the sound.
Yes some people are inclined to make decisions based on knee jerk reactions.
My only advice about Guitar Amplifiers (well...just about anything really) is this:
You should keep everything - there is room for it all - and there is a need for
everything.

Fulldrive-1

Not really taking for granted. I've been playing old Marshalls since the early 80s. I've flirted with other makes but never gotten away from old Marshalls. I figure it's better to have one type of amp and master that, instead of having a bunch of different ones to adjust to.

Like riflemen. Some of 'em have a roomful; but the guy I watch out for has one battered rifle he's had for decades. He's the guy that can hit.

billyguitar

After you get to a good point with guitars and amps we want more even though we really don't need it. We think a new amp will give some inspiration. Truthfully, what we have can amplify anything we can generate. So the problem is ourselves. I don't want to face that issue so I look for new gear!

motokev

I've had my Friedman since April or May and sold my Blackstar, which I liked quite a lot. Still love my Friedman, but I'm not blown away by it on a daily basis anymore like I was when I first got it.

Kinda got me wondering, but then I went and tried a few other amps, and it quickly made me realize how much I love and need to appreciate my Friedman.

Moral of the story is, I think you get used to great tone when you have a great amp and it's easy to start taking it for granted. I guess I just needed to level set again.

Anybody else find this happen to them? I'm guessing this is the root cause of a lot of GAS, and people unloading great amps just because they've become accustomed to the sound.
I think your dead on with this observation. It happens to me all the time, someone who has owned over 70 (or is it 80) amps over 25 yrs. I currently have 6 really nice amps one being a Friedman DS 40. I still look, but really don't know why. I think it's just a habit or like the one guy said, the hunt. I do agree with one comment where it might be a good idea to have a few amps. Take a turn with each so you don't get sick of just one. My amp purchasing has mellowed quite a bit over the last few years. I think I'll just stick with what I have and if I desire another amp, I'll sell one to get it. Same story with guitars.

TTBZ

I know what you mean - I recently sold my Laney GH50L and upon plugging it in for the last time I was thinking "why am I selling this again?!" - I do prefer what has replaced it though but it's by no means a bad amp and a lot better than the majority of others I've tried out.

SPH77

I know what you mean - I recently sold my Laney GH50L and upon plugging it in for the last time I was thinking "why am I selling this again?!" - I do prefer what has replaced it though but it's by no means a bad amp and a lot better than the majority of others I've tried out.
What replaced it?

easyed

I have three amps for electric guitar. They are all top of class IMO. Latest is a Dr.Z MAZ 18 Jr. 2x10.

All I have to do is go to one of the fine music stores here in Seattle to try some of the other amps available to convince me that I have all that I need.

Same deal with women - I have a truly wonderful wife; I fancy that I would rather have a 35-45 y.o. woman with an insatiable libido -- Oh well; that's not what I could deal with for long -- I'll hold on to what I've got.

Top Bottom