taking off a finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by TechpriesT, Feb 28, 2005.

1. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

is there anything that i can do to take the finish and paint off of a guitar body? thanks

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

KleenStrip makes a spray on stripper, and a brush on stripper. Easily found at Home Depot. Get gloves to protect your hands, some 3" wide scrapers, and some 1" wide scrapers (plastic works if you're fast before it starts to melt).

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Paint stripper and steel wool. Steel wool works better at cleaning up coarser grained wood. Scrapers can gouge and don't do so well with contours. And definitely use rubber gloves.

Or, a soda blaster. Maybe a bead blaster. But probably not a sand blaster.

Lighter fluid and a match.

What kind of finish is it and how do you want to refinish it?

4. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

its just a standard finish, with a primer base, i have most of it off already, just have a few problem zones.

I would like to oil it im thinking or some type of polyurethane lacquer i donno.

5. A440

A440 Supporting Member

for poly type finish, wagner heat gun & metal paint scraper. recommend wearing a mask and protective goggles.

don't scorch the paint, you're basically heating up paint enough to softly scrape it. goe easy and you won't gouge the body.
    once you get the hang of it, paint comes off pretty easily.

this is what the guys at ibanez used to do...