• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Taking the finish off a American Standard Strat neck?

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Hi guys,

I searched through the forums, but didn't really find anything pertaining exactly to my question... although it was some good reading... anyways

I have a 2008 American Standard Strat with a rosewood fretboard. The neck is... well... ok, I liked it at first, but after playing some other guitars I really like the relic'd necks...

I'm not really into the how relic thing, but I want that feel on my neck so I dont care what it looks like. Now, I believe the neck is poly? right? So what would I do to get that feel. Obviously I don't want to mess up the guitar, so that's why I asked before I took sandpaper or steel wool to it.

Any help would be great!

tfaith08

You can take about a 220 grit sandpaper to it. Just make measurements at several of the frets from the top of the fretboard to the opposite side on the back of the neck just to make sure everything stays even. sand it down with about 220, then 400, then 800. I did this to my jackson, but you must know that when you take a finish off the back of a neck, it subjects the neck to weather. The finish is there for a reason. Id say to put some type of oil on your the palm of your fret hand and just play after youre done in order to refinish the neck. It'll feel like it doesn't have a finish, but the oil really helps. Keep on until it seems to stop absorbing it as fast.

hope this helps. if not, be more specific

Rosewood

Before you try stipping the finish rub it down with 0000 steel wool and see if that gives you the feel you"re after. Make sure the steel wool fragments dont get into the pickups, taking the neck off to steel wool will make sure of that.

Trending Topics