Talented guitarists who aren't thought of as talented guitarists?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Caribou, Jul 1, 2019.

1. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

fitz and Caribou like this.
  2. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Going to add Keith Urban to this list. If you only listened to his newer stuff (most recent 2 or 3 albums) you’d never know what a killer player he is. Stumbled across an old video of him playing ‘The Devil Went Down to Georgia’ on electric and blew me away.

The first person who I had this realization about was John Mayer. Hated his poppy stuff, then saw him and his trio on a late night show (I forget which) and instantly changed my mind.

ProfRhino likes this.
  3. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

Saw Chris Robinson at The Experience Hendrix tour.Amazing.Watch him with Howard Leese in Bad Co!
    Keith Urban can “blankin” play period! I am a singer too and purposely don't let it overshadow my playing because my band has a leader/vocalist who must have that role of The Singer and that is how we operate best.Many of these guys who are singers have to do the same thing. You have to work smart esp these days.Great Thread!

Caribou and ProfRhino like this.
  4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

5. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

6. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Nils Lofgren

ProfRhino likes this.
  7. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

I'll go ahead and place myself firmly in this category if it's ok with you guys.

Caribou likes this.
  8. bigsby'd

bigsby'd Member

9. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure this guy is even or ever thought of. His name doesn't show up or if, very rare on guitar
    forums.

10. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

Wow...Another one I had no idea about. Definitely one of the most surprising answers!

bigsby'd likes this.
  11. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

10 pages and unless I missed it no one has mentioned Bob Weir, whose probably forgotten more inversions than most of us ever learn, just an incredible rhythm player. Lead guitarists maybe get the kudos for being out front like singers but it is those rhythm guys who hold it all together in order for them to do their thing.

jalmer, Caribou and stanshall like this.
  12. jawajt

jawajt Member

A few that come to mind:

Sarah McLachlan-mostly known for her singing and piano playing, but a fantastic guitar player as well. Her acoustic playing on the song “Ice” comes to mind.

Dave Gavurin (The Sundays): Writes beautiful melodies and plays some unique solos. Really knows how to fill the space.

Patterson Hood, Mike Cooley, Jay Gonzalez (Drive-By Truckers): Recently saw them live, and was reminded of how much all three of them rip on guitar. Plus, Jay is primarily a keys player.

Jeff Buckley: Another one more known for his singing, but an excellent guitar player as well. Lots of cool alternate tuning stuff. You can really hear it on his “Live at Sin-E” album. Just him, a Tele, and an amp.

As others have mentioned, Paul McCartney: I mean the solos he did on “Taxman” would be enough. He’s done lots of great guitar work. I particularly like his playing on the album Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, where he played most of the instruments. Much like “Blackbird”, his acoustic playing on “Jenny Wren” is beautiful.

Stuart Matthewman: Mostly known for his saxophone playing and producing for Sade (and others), but A great guitar player as well. Plays most of the guitars on Sade’s albums. His playing on the first Sweetback album is particularly good. The perfect blend of funky and atmospheric.

theanthonyv and Caribou like this.
  13. fescue

fescue Member

Jerry Reed
    Peter Buck
    Jim Heath aka Horton Heat
    Bill Kirchen

14. boo radley

boo radley Member

Sounds like a sponsored link:

"Jazz teachers shocked at Weir's encyclopedic knowledge of inversions and chord theory!"

15. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Say what? Who doesn't think he's talented?

16. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

A good portion of the public just knows him as the Snowman.

17. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Lol if they know him at all, the most popular of the Smokey and the Bandit movies came out in 1978? When less than half the US population was even born.

18. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Well I wasn't but I know plenty of people my age and younger who love it

19. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

Who would sponsor it though since there are only ever 10 punters at a jazz concert and 9 of them are players?. :cool:;):D

20. Stratofreak

Stratofreak Member

Amy Winehouse. She wrote most of her own material on guitar and wasn't limited to cowboy chords.

Gillian Welch. While her partner, David Rawlings, takes the songs into the stratosphere with his playing, Gil is keeping things locked down. If you watch them live, when he takes a solo, she lowers her left shoulder and just grooves.

fitz likes this.