• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Talihina Sky- Kings of Leon documentary

joemilitello

Whether you like the band or not, this documentary was pretty damn good.

They are three brothers and a cousin who grew up in the South with a traveling Pentecostal revival preacher for a dad. (They roll into town on a Wednesday, dad preaches Wed through Sunday, people speak in tongues, etc., and Monday, they are on to the next town.) A lot of time is rightfully spent on their family and growing up in this life.

A good portion of the documentary takes place at a family reunion, and they have some hilarious redneck relatives, in particular "Uncle Cleo."

Pretty cool footage from their career, including live shows, their recording process and plenty of brotherly tension.

Seeing where these guys came from made their story pretty remarkable for me.

It was pretty damn good, although I am admittedly a sucker for a well done rockumentary.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
I saw this on TV a while back I walked away thinking how the hell did they get so big, they've got little talent.

toocommercial

I saw this on TV a while back I walked away thinking how the hell did they get so big, they've got little talent.
It's not necessarily a case of little talent but maybe lack of technically ability. Neither of them are virtuosos on their instruments (except the drummer who is very creative). It comes down to the songs in the end, and although this is also subjective, they've got some catchy stuff. And Caleb has a distinctive voice.

I will have to check out the documentary.

Darth Tater

Silver Supporting Member
So it baffles you how KoL got so big, but not Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Nickelback, or any hippity-hop group?

chrisjw5

I walked away feeling sad for them. What a screwed up extended family. Shortly after this came out, the Kings came off the road and Caleb went to rehab.

We watched it and really feared for Caleb's life, not just his career.

monty

Wasnt crazy about the doc. One of the only ones I've watched and liked the band LESS afterwards.

soulohio

It's not necessarily a case of little talent but maybe lack of technically ability. Neither of them are virtuosos on their instruments (except the drummer who is very creative). It comes down to the songs in the end, and although this is also subjective, they've got some catchy stuff. And Caleb has a distinctive voice.

I will have to check out the documentary.
...and that is the answer....Kings of Leon are very much in the Nirvana vein with Caleb's voice being the most powerful instrument in the band, much as Kurt Cobain's voice was... Caleb is a great vocalist and singer with that voice... that voice which can go from stadium rawk, to blues, to country to full on preacher mode... you don't practice to get that voice, it is a gift from above. The somewhat deceptive less-technical aspects of the musicianship just augment the drum groove and Caleb.

saneff

Just watched it. What an upbringing. What makes some say they are not technically good players? I don't see that. They see like a musically gifted family.

Strato62

Kings of Leon are a very talented band. Unique vocals, simple, understated guitar work and driving drums. They stand out in the clutter of bands.

speakerjones

I'd definitely like to check this out. I think they're a great band. For the naysayers, I invite you to go back and listen to some of the bass and drum parts on the last few albums, then come back and say they're not talented.

Trending Topics