Talk about Playing and Technique...

gennation

I'm going to see Leo Kottke next week! If you aren't familiar with him do yourself a favor and look him up. He's one of those guys you can consider Mr. Playing and Technique.

He is the master of the 12-string. I saw him back in 1978. He's one of those players who was ALWAYS in his prime. While he's very unique I always thought of him as a mix of Steve Howe, Chet Atkins, Jimmy Page, and Doc Watson. He's very folksy and was Americana decades before there was such a thing.

He's as a very good storyteller too and his shows are a mix of brilliant playing and great stories. He is friends with MANY famous musicians and has played so many shows for probably 50+ years and he has got some stories!

Anyways...he's slowed down a bit in years but is still playing very good...this is him a few years ago...

This is him back in the day, he's was always such a great player:

Wife and I were fortunate enough to see him live a few years ago. One of my perennial faves. Such a monster player and a hilarious storyteller.

I love so many of his records, but the "One Guitar, No Vocals" album and the song "Morning is the Long Way Home" from that record is one of my faves.

gennation

Vaseline Machine Gun is the first difficult tune I ever transcribed.
That's cool Cliff.

I can see where some would say some of his stuff sounds a like. It's all acoustic finger style and folk music. He's always had something special on top of it though.

great-case.com

a.k.a. "Mitch"
I watched Leo play from the front row once... a close study, so to speak. The man is not human. That said, it's the funny stories that I remember most. Leo claims to be the only man ever arrested for smuggling something into Mexico. Can you tell me what it was he allegedly smuggled?

Coors Beer, or so he claims in a joke he likes to tell

Trending Topics