talk about the MAD PROFESSOR SWEET HONEY

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by astroboy81, Dec 16, 2009.

1. astroboy81

astroboy81 Member

do you like this pedal? why?
    did you hate it? why?

2. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

I have it and the HBOD, I like my HBOD infinitely better.

3. theGhost

theGhost Member

for those of us not fully hip with the lingo, what exactly is this?

4. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

honey bee over drive, the BJFE pedal the sweet honey was based on.

5. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Silver Supporting Member

+1 The Sweet Honey was not as amp like as the HoneyBee. The trouble is you have to play the Honeybee to appreciate it. SOund clips never do it justice.

But, if you are looking for a dynamic OD that is a bit more like a larger amp the Sweet Honey is that. The Honeybee is like a small 5e3 or supro.

6. alguit

alguit Member

Owned and played both, and I fall on the Sweet Honey side of the pedals. It's more versatile, more bottom end and gain (though not a lot compared to most OD's), and it has great touch sensitivity and plays well with other pedals.

The HBOD is certainly more "amp-like" and an amazing pedal in its own right, definitely, as mentioned above, incredible for conjuring the sound and feel of a small Fender (though I really heard more the Supro thing going on).

7. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Do some searching and you will find LOTS of threads on this topic, plus thoughts on each pedal....and go to youtube..tons of videos on each.. I have both and still have not decided which to sell

8. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

Yea I ordered an HBOD and then saw the GMD video and thought I would like the SHOD better, so I ordered an SHOD too. But I think the HBOD he uses in that video is faulty and doesn't have enough output. I know a lot of people have that problem with them. I ended up liking the HBOD better when I got to try both of them out with my rig tho.

9. alguit

alguit Member

:Devil Go one, keep them both...no one has to know...you know you want to...who's it going to hurt? Why, you'd be helping the economy...:Devil

Also, I'd feel better about keeping mine... ;)

10. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

Well let me know what you think and I'll be at your service

Regarding low output on Honey Bees:

Compared to Emerald Green Distortion Machine , yes that would certainly the be the case since EGDM was designed to be a booster aswell as a distortion box.

That Honey Bee and Sweet Honey OD do not have the same output at the same knob settings is also due to the fact that they are not the same circuits and also the frequency response would greatly effect loudness.
    Tip: to get close to HB sound on SHOD set Focus just below 9 oc.....
    still tighter but close.....

Internet rumours start easily and many people can be as many as three and two were more happy with EGDM while another guy I gave a free modification years ago and he really likes the Fetto a whole lot more due to the guitar he plays that has really hot pick ups.

That there also can be problems with footswitches is something that can be dealt with swiftly and I am most thankful to how I have been able to as of late been able to do that with some easy repairs with benevolent aid:http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=636217

In all other types of repairs just in case anything would occour I do take care of that, though through the years there have been extremely few other repairs other than footswitches needing cleaning.
    :crazyguy

Have fun
    BJ
    Affiliations
    BJF Electronics
    Sweden
    www.bjfe.org
    www.mpamp.com
    http://www.rocketridepedals.com/
    louderandmoreamplifications
    and somethingelse I don't know the name of yet

11. astroboy81

astroboy81 Member

where can i find the honey bee or dyna red dist? are they discontinued?:messedup

12. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

They're often out of stock, but during the past 3 or 4 months I found both a DRD & an HBOD available with no wait from Custom Sounds.

Not sure what the wait times are, but the folks at Custom Sounds have been absolutely fantastic to deal with. Also, if you're in the US (or outside the EU) you save quite a bit on VAT though you'll have to pay a little something for shipping.

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages...Path=/Shops/CustomSounds/Categories/1051/1072

13. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Had the SHOD. It was a nice pedal, but I prefer setting the gain in my amps for "amp-like dynamics." Also, I thought the focus had to be set on the bright side to remain, well, focused. Not a bad thing, but it did give the sound a certain color. Still, a very cool looking and sounding pedal.

14. astroboy81

astroboy81 Member

how about the stacking abilities of the SHOD? how does it reacts to other pedals?