Talk about your recording setups

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Facepoppies, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Facepoppies

Facepoppies Supporting Member

Just curious how everyone has their home recording stuff setup. Which modeler are ya using? Monitors? What’s your DAW?

I’m trying to assemble my space, and I need inspiration.

Post pics if you can!

2. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

iMac (Snow Leopard), HP Laptop Windows 10, Apogee Jam, Reaper, Axe-FX Ultra, Effectrode Blackbird, Fender FM212R, POD X3, various mixers and analog/digital recorders, Helix Native, Guitar Rig, TH3, Bias Amp, Bias FX, POD Farm Platinum, iZotope Ozone, Eventide Plugins, Waves, and many, many other hardware/software elements.

Sustainerplayer and Facepoppies like this.
  3. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Cubase 10 Pro
    UA Apollo 8
    KRK V8
    Helix Floor set as an aggregate device for direct recording.

The older you get, the more you care about ergonomics!

I have a standing desk with a 'wobble stool'
    And a balance stool for when I need to sit and play

I got the balance chairs after I worked with Adrian Belew and he had this great chair that let him move around to his pedals.
    Funny...don't remember what his pedals were...but the chair was awesome.
    https://www.thehumansolution.com/swopper.html

4. Aquinas

Aquinas Silver Supporting Member

Here is the gist of my "home" recording setup (which is largely left over from my old "Real Studio" setup). It is in my second bedroom, and far from what I'd consider "ideal", though very much overkill by many people's standards:

Mac Pro 2012 w/upgrades (64gb of RAM)
    Cheapo ASUS display (because I broke my Cinema Display) and a Sharp 50" 1080p TV over DisplayPort
    (also have a bunch of old video game consoles routed into the TV, so sue me)
    Apogee Symphony I/O v1 w/16in 16out, Symphony 64 card in Mac
    Cubase 10 Pro (main), Ableton Live Suite, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools Ultimate, DP, Reason, ReNoise (in order of usage)
    Barefoot MicroMain27g2's are my main monitors
    Lake People G109-P headphone amp along with Sennheiser HD-800, Beyer DT880, AT and Sony closed-backs, Grados, and several other headphone options
    Shadow Hills and Helios mic pres
    A whole lot of mics
    Various treatment, including spot "panels" on the reflection points and TubeTraps around my monitors (rental, so no clouds or anything that damages walls more than hanging a picture)
    Custom desk, SecretLab Titan chair with the right arm removed
    Nektar Panorama P4 as my "master keyboard" (I just like the action better than many $$$ options)

I have a bunch of amps and guitars, too, but I don't want to get into listing them!

Helix Floor wired in both over USB as an aggregate and into the Apogee in Stereo
    PowerCab Plus XLR into Apogee, connected to Helix via L6 Link
    "Dedicated" XLR out to a mic cable in front of my favorite cab, with an m160 in front of it
    Direct out from a Fryette Power Station wired in as a load, and to the cab
    TC Electronic BG250-15" Bass Combo with the DI out going to the Apogee (set up dry)
    Fryette GPDI set up as both a DI and a direct amp into the Apogee
    Dedicated vocal line, usually with my "scratch mic" (Shure KSM8) setup, into a Helios Pre

I use the Helix for most guitar stuff, usually actually tapping the PowerCab output for a mono signal. When I want a true "DI" to use a plugin or what have you, I use the GPDI. For bass, I usually use the TC Combo, and take a DI signal (~95% of the time processed with FabFilter Saturn and/or Pro-C in the box).

Ask away if you have any questions - I have one of the more convoluted "in the box" rigs I've seen around here, and it took a bit of work to get it going right, but now I can do whatever I want with it at a whim!

5. Facepoppies

^ dayum dude. I noticed everybody with a helix seems to use a separate interface instead of the helix as an interface. Is this because the helix is lacking in that area?

6. primemover12

primemover12 Member

PC:
    - Intel Core i7-2600K
    - 8Gb DDR3
    - ATI Radeon 6950HD

Mobile: 2018 MacBook Pro

MIDI Controllers:
    - Behringer FCB-1010
    - Akai MPK Mini Mk II
    - Roli Lightpad Block M

Interfaces:
    - Behringer Uphoria UMC-204HD
    - IKMultimedia iRig HD 2 (for when I travel)

DAW: Reaper

Guitar amp modelers (in order of frequency):
    - Peavey ReValver 4 (the vast majority of my leads)
    - Mercuriall Spark (some lead and crunches)
    - IKMultimedia Amplitube 4 (Fender cleans and the Slash AFD Marshall)
    - Scuffham S-Gear 2.7 (crunches and leads)
    - Line 6 Pod Farm 2.5 (rarely ever anymore)
    - Positive Grid Bias FX/Amp 2 (maybe once in the last six months)

7. Aquinas

No, not at all - it just isn't in the same league as pro or prosumer dedicated interfaces, and nor should it be. It is a multi-function device, and being an interface is more just a convenience "added-benefit" factor than its raison d'etre!

In my case, I have ~14 channels being taken up in my "16" channel interface, to handle all the various things I have plugged in (while avoiding the annoyance of plugging stuff in and out). My Apogee + PCI card gets far better latency than the USB on the Helix can handle, and while it may or may not sound "better" (I've never noticed huge sound differences with interfaces) it certainly has a more reliable clock at lower buffer ranges and far greater feature set as an interface.

I still actually use the Helix as an interface at times, as well - such as with my laptop rig (which is Windows, by the way, and I do use a "real" RME interface when I need portability too) or when I want to do everything on headphones (using the Helix's internal phone amp). It just isn't really what I personally need for a main interface - but I have rather higher requirements than most!

If you are just tooling around recording stuff, then what I have is overkill - hell, it is overkill for what I'm doing these days! For most guitarists, the Helix (Floor or Rack - that mic pre is a necessity IMHO) is a great, functional interface that really lacks nothing. Is it "the best"? No, but it really shouldn't be expected to be. Is it better than most low-to-midrange prosumer interfaces (Focusrite, NI, M-Audio)? Actually, in my experience, yes!

8. Facepoppies

Oh sweet! I have a helix floor that I recently got, and I have it sitting on my ableton push stand because I was planning to use it as an interface. Beyond that, which headphones do you use the most for recording and mixing? I’m guessing a flat headphone is preferable, right?

9. Aquinas

For recording? Audio-Technica ATH-M50x closed-backs. For Mixing? I avoid headphones, but can do a decent job with my HD-800's or DT880's, depending on how much low end I have to deal with...

I always suggest getting two pairs of headphones for home recordists, especially if they plan on mixing on them (which is inadvisable but often unavoidable) - one closed pair (like the M50x) and one open pair (usually recommend Sennheiser HD600). Yes, I know that seems pricey, but it really is the most important thing you have in your "toolbox". It really doesn't matter how great anything sounds if you can't trust what you are listening on!

Why two pairs? Because ["cheap" sub-$1k] closed-backs are pretty much always less "accurate" than open backs, not to mention less comfortable over long periods of time, but they are necessary for recording vocals and/or not annoying people in the same room as you. Opens are more comfortable, more accurate, and generally better at the "important stuff", but they are far from "private".

Badtone likes this.
  10. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

No. Not everything I record is direct electric guitar.
    Helix is great for that because you can avoid an extra stage of D/A/D conversion plus the Helix outputs a direct/dry guitar signal through USB that you can use for Re-amping.
    It will even route it back from your DAW, through the Helix and back again.

Badtone and Aquinas like this.
  11. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Also dig around for articles about how to place near field monitors in a studio.
    As important as the speakers you choose

Badtone likes this.
  12. Facepoppies

Awesome! I’m so crazy that I’ve been thinking about selling all my pedals and **** and getting a helix rack for home and using the floor for a controller and live pedal board.

I like seeing people’s setups and stuff. I feel like it’s an intimate thing that we don’t really get to share with a lot of people.

13. Emigre

Emigre Member

Zoom R24 on a very solid music stand, Yamaha HS-5’s on monitor stands. Choice of mics, amps, guitars, loopers and other outboard gear.

Then into Ableton Live for chopping, arranging and mixing.

Facepoppies likes this.
  14. JohnSword

JohnSword Member

Zoom H2 into audacity :rolleyes2:

Emigre likes this.
  15. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

Mackie Onyx 1640i or for smaller sessions Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

Protools 11

Yamaha NS10s or Yamaha HS7s

For modeling: Helix, Boss GT1000 or S-Gear

For amps I use SM57s and Sennheiser MD421s

For acoustic instruments I like to use a Rode NT1000

For vocals I really like using my Shure SM7B

Badtone likes this.
  16. mattt67

mattt67 Member

Hey
    I’m surprised you’re not using Helix Native, it’s so handy and flexible for recording
    Cheers

17. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok so here’s mine:

Recording Desk:
    • Argosy Halo Ultimate
    • Focusrite Clarett 8pre
    • Two Notes Torpedo Studio
    • Line 6 Helix Rack
    • Egnater SS4 Amp Switcher
    • Yamaha HS8 monitors
    • Slate Raven MTi-2
    • UAD Quad Satellite
    • Blue Mics Bluebird

Computer/DAW/Software:
    • MAC Pro
    • Logic Pro X
    • Superior Drummer 3
    - Metal Foundry
    - Progressive Foundry
    - Metal Machinery
    • Helix Native
    • Neural DSP
    - Fortin Nameless
    - Fortin NTS
    • Kazrog Thermionik
    • Audio Assault
    - Hellbeast
    - Dominator
    - Grind Machine
    - Emperor

Amps/Cabs/Mics:
    • Friedman BE-100
    - Friedman 412 (V30/Greenback)
    • KSR Gemini
    - Marshall MF400 (K100)
    • Henning Cherry Bomb
    - V Boutique Euro212 (Redbacks)
    • Line 6 PowerCab+
    • SM57, E609, R121

All amps run into the SS4 amp switcher then out to the Torpedo Studio into 2 channels on the Clarett.

The Fortin Hydra controls the SS4, Torpedo Studio and Helix Rack

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  18. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer Member

[​IMG]

Computer: Mac Mini Late 2018 3,2 GHz 6-core Intel i7 running Mojave
    Soundcard: Presonus Quantum
    DAW: Presonus Studio One 4.5x Professionel and Cubase Pro 10
    Hardware:
    Fractal Audio Axe Fx III
    Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
    Samson Powerbrite Pro10
    Furman M-10xE
    Studio monitors: Equator D8 MkII
    PA Monitors: Yamaha DXR10
    Master Keyboard: Alesis QS8
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD280 Silver, Sennheiser HD540 Reference Gold and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
    Plugins from: Air Music Technology, Apple, Arturia, Celemony, D16 Group Audio Software, Eventide, Glitchmacines, Izotope, Kilohearts, Klanghelm, Korg, KV331 Audio, Line 6, Metric Halo, Native Instruments, Newfagled Audio, Output, Overloud, Plugin Alliance, Presonus, Softube, Sonivox, Soundspot, Surreal Machines, Syncro Arts LTD, Tokyo Dawn Labs, u-he, Voxengo, W.A.Production ,Waves, Wavesfactory , Way Out Ware and XLN Audio
    Software instruments from: 2getheraudio, Air Music Technology, Apple, Arturia, D16 Group Audio Software, Izotope, kiloHearts, Korg, KV331 Audio, MLVST, Native Instruments, Novation, Plugin Boutique, Presonus, Roland Cloud, Sonivox, Steinberg, u-he, UVI, Way Out Ware and XLN Audio
    Microphones: sEX1R, M-Audio Nova, Shure SM58 and Sennheiser MD431
    Guitars: Many - mostly Warmoth builds and Ibanez
    Bass: MTD Kingston

And no - I didn't just type all of that. I had the info for copy'paste :p

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    MojoRisin likes this.
  19. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

I do use HX Native but most of my use has been for FX.
    I prefer to just get the sound I want while recording and usually forget or don’t bother to record a direct track (depends on the type of music)