Talk boxes....what's good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by boomchickaboom, Jul 7, 2006.

1. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

I've started playing with a bunch of guys doing some fun covers. We wanna do a few with talkbox on 'em so I'm doing the research.

Does anyone make a good "inline" talkbox? I know the Heil is kinda the standard, but I'm not sure I want to dedicate an amp to just this effect, and given my setup that's what I'd have to do. I can use my Univalve if I have to but I'd rather use something in a more standard stompbox format if a good one exists.

Thoughts?

THX
    d

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

For a decent talk box on the cheap, the Rocktron Banshee gets the job done. You don't have to hook it up between your amp and a speaker like the Heil types, you just run it inline with other effects. You still need to mic it through the PA though. I run mine into a graphic eq first, then the PA input, so it cuts off the brittle highs and smooths out the upper mids. It gets pretty aggressive with a drive pedal into it too.

I play the Eagles "Those Shoes" with it, as well as Joe Walsh' "Rocky Mountain Way," Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion," Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" and I've been messing with Jeff Beck's "She's a Woman" too.

3. Rhino

Rhino Supporting Member

4. covert

covert Member

Another vote for the Banshee.

5. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Boss AW-3 can passably do those sounds. You may want to give that a try

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm auditioning for a serious Pink Floyd tribute band next saturday and if I get the part, I will need a talk box... Anything you can JUST run inline without micing separately? Tube to "talk" into and the rest operates like a normal pedal?

8. elambo

elambo Member

9. Evilmusician80

Evilmusician80 Member

banshee great ,and u wont blow up your amp !

10. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

+1 on the banshee. My buddy has the framptone one and it sounds great and all but you need to run it between a head or have a separate amplifier for it plus it's expensive. For the ease of use and good sound get the banshee.

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

i've got a digitech talker ....out of production but it is a cool box...you gotta run it with a ground loop lifter or you can get a shock when you touch the michrophone...i would sell it but this thing does more than a banshee and i understand the banshee is easier to use...the talker has all kinds of "alien effects" and such...

12. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

Hmmmm. Thanks I think. ;^)

I happen to know where there's one that's been sitting in a pawn shop for quite awhile. I guess I thought it was a keyboard thing.

13. soulohio

soulohio Member

hey boom...yea, if you can get a good price on it go for it...the guy that sold it to me at the music store liked it, i like it i just haven't been talk box hungry as of late...

14. gandolf203

gandolf203 Member

I've got the Framptone. Sounds great. You do have to run it between the amp and speaker cabinet and mike it to a PA. My only complaint is it is fairly expensive if you buy it new. It replaced the one I had built. Building one is not terribly difficult if you have the capability.

15. drolling

drolling Member

I'm no rocket scientist, but I put one together following a recipe I got from a GP magazine interview w/Joe Walsh way back in the late '70s. Took a RadioShack tweeter, sawed off the horn & connected the driver to a piece of vinyl tubing I got from the plumbing section of the local hardware store. Hooked that up to the guts of a solid-state practice amp, and mounted the whole thing in a hammond enclosure.

You've got to run the tubing up a mic stand, sending the mic output to the PA.. so the thing's completely out of your guitar's signal path, but it sounds totally authentic and cost next to nothing..

16. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

I've had both the Banshee and the Heil, and for ease of use, the banshee is the way to go. I made the mistake of listening to my sound guy who convinced me into getting a Heil, (and selling my banshee) and it's way more complicated to set up and tear down every gig.
    Also the heil needs a whole bunch of midrange so if you don't have a seperate amp specifically for it, don't expect stellar results.

17. soulohio

soulohio Member

see, i don't know how the banshee or the heil work, but the digitech talker runs right thru your main vocal mic. that does present some possibilities and you also have about 3 cool settings out of about 6 effects that are usable and interesting...plus some tonal and effect control without the tube, which has it's own drawbacks...

18. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

The Rocktron Banshee is the easiest to use talk box on the market. It plugs in like an effects pedal, run the tubing up to your microphone and turn it on. You don't need to rip apart an amp for it or carry extra amps around to drive it. It already has EV driver and a 5 watt amp built into it. You can even plug the speaker out of the Banshee into a guitar cab and play through it. It sounds pretty cool.

If you want to even make it sound more interesting, change the diameter of the tubing to a smaller size. You can cop the Roger & Zapp talk box tone too.

Guitar George

19. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

I forgot, I also owned the talker, for about an afternoon. Bought it on a Saturday morning, tried it, took it back later that day. Although it does some cool things, it doesnt do the classic "talk box" thing convincingly.

20. Apartment 11

Apartment 11 Member

Rocktron all the way.......:dude