Talk me into a Boost n' Buff...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Feb 11, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I think I may have already talked myself into one, but just for goo d measure, talk me into buying an MI Audio Boost n' Buff.

I'm currently running this:

[​IMG]

I'm using the MDEQ as my buffer, but not really using the EQ to it's fullest - I like my amps and don't feel the need to tweak the EQ much more than what the amp allows. The buffer is great, though.

I run both a Strat (G&L Legacy) and various semi-hollows with HB's. There is an obvious drop in output between the HB's and SC's, and the pedals and amps react differently to this. I think one benefit of the Boost n' Buff early in my chain would be to equalize the signal between the different guitars.

I currently use my Timmy at the end of the chain for a vlean/slightly gritty boost, so the Boost and Buff and Timmy may be a bit redundant, though I guess this is alright. I love my BBD and think the MI Audio stuff is a great value.

Any other thoughts? Come on! Talk me into it!

Brian

2. johndara

johndara Member

I'm loving my Boost N' Buff. I keep it at the very end of my signal chain and it does great boosting the volume of my Marshall SLP100. As long as you have the headroom, this is a great pedal. They run at 18volts (two nine volt batteries). Definitely ranks up there with the Barber Launch Pad which before I tried the Boost N' Buff was the ultimate clean boost.

3. kp8

kp8 Member

Very Very good buffer. More than you would likely ever need and will take up less space on your board than the MDEQ... Plus as a boost it has more gain on tap than any other boost i have seen, and it has gobs of headroom, esp. if you run it at 18v or 24v. Buy it, stick it at the front of your chain for the buffer. And for me... i gig with a 12-string dano that is no where near the output of my other guitars... so when i need to bring the dano up to level i step on the boost. As a special effect (occasional use) .... pump it up past 2 o'clock and you get some nasties for fun.

I love mine. Very handy, very well made... Never leaves my board. $100 well spent.

-k

ps. some folks find the B'n'B makes their signal strident, but it works for my rig very well.

4. teleus52

teleus52 Member

I love mine for solo boosting... totaly clean, just a volume boost. :AOK

[​IMG]

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I would say, if you can spring for a Moollon Signal Boost, that would be my preferred pedal over the Boost-n-Buff. Totally neutral EQ, no tone altering, and an excellent buffer. The B-n-B was audibly doing something to my signal when I used it - like an RC does. Sounded a touch harsh when turning it up as well, whereas the Moollon... well... does not.

These are somewhat subtle differences, and only you can decide whether or not you think the Moollon is worth the extra cost compared to the B-n-B. I will say though that the Moollon ended my 'clean boost' quest. Zero desire to even try out anything else. If you're thinking of buying, you can get them here at Make 'n' Music:

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDe...a458-a165-4add-9847-7da43608278c&Item=1570466

-Ben

6. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I'm more interest in the buffer than the boost, to be honest. Any idea if the Moollon has a buffer also?

Brian

7. kp8

kp8 Member

I have not heard with my own ears, but they do make their own buffer that is supposed to be top notch. I think that some of their pedals are buffered and the signal boost is marked as having the buffer ... look at the stomp switch it says "Bufferage"

8. kp8

kp8 Member

that said... they buffer is likely no better or worse than the MI Audio Bed 'n' Breakfast since they both have good buffers. and the MI is $100 and the Moollon is $300.... The Bed 'n' Breakfast buffer is ultra high input impedance buffer (5M) ... so save yourself some coin get get the MI Audio (imo)

9. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Boost'n'Buff is one of my favourite pedals ever. Buffer is good and up to the 12 o'clock position it's a great clean boost. Above 12 o'clock it's killer pushing a amp or a fuzz.

Just get one bro!

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Yes, it is buffered. Great buffer!
    From the link I sent you above:

"The Moollon GW 109S Buffer Circuit minimizes the ground noise, electrostatic noise, loss of treble or punch, and mechanical noise(popping) from the switch by transforming the input signal into a low impedance signal under 1K ohm."

-Ben

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

The Moollon is $259, not $300. Says so right on the website where you saw the picture of the pedal with the words 'bufferage' on the switch. You can totally have an opinion, but you don't have to exaggerate to try and sway folks.

Another plus with the B-n-B, other than its price, is that it should be easy to fix if anything goes wrong! I had to 'blur / block' out some of the components on the PCB so no one rips it off, but you get the idea. There are like 7 or 8 components total, and there's no goop. Unlike the Moollon, which is coated in a block of foam and ... black, glasslike epoxy:

[​IMG]

-Ben

12. kp8

kp8 Member

I didn't look at the forking price on that particular link. Since i speak Korean I was looking at a Korean web site via Naver.com and doing a quick and dirty Korean Won to Dollar conversion in my head. I have no horse in this race and i don't give a crap one way or anther. I like Moollon stuff and always root for my Korean brothers and know folks who work for them, but in Nakwon or any other pace in Hong-dae or where ever those things go for just around of 25,0000 and i assumed that the price would be a tad higher here since they are imported. So I am off by $40. :rolleyes:

정말.... 이해 안 가...

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Dude... relax. Have some kimchee & rice and some jajangmyun.

And $40 is significantly off from the real price, especially when the person is throwing it out there like it's the truth. Next time, check out xe.com if you want to run a 'quick and dirty' conversion.

(I'm 1/2 Korean. And kp8 just dispelled the myth that we folks are good at math.)

14. kp8

kp8 Member

For the record:

The MI Audio Boost 'n' Buff is currently commonly found at $119. I guess the price went up some since i bought mine. With 8.25% sales tax that is: $128.82.

:moon

-vs- 280.37 with sales tax for the 물론

:crazyguy

15. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Damn - I got my B-n-B when it was only $100!
    Shoot; now you got me all hungry for Korean food... it's so much work though. Gonna have to order some tomorrow night for dinner ;)

-Ben

16. kp8

kp8 Member

I just ate ㅎㅎ

If i was silly rich and money were no object i would get a bunch of those Moollon pedals just for the beautiful etched housings. They are so sexy. Dumb name for a brand, but you cant top those cases.

This rehoused boss is just killer:

[​IMG]

I only heard their stuff in the shop... but their boost did sound great and seemed very quiet.